PDA

View Full Version : Baby #2 in a few mos...better start shopping...

MKH76
11-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Okay, give it to me straight. I have a 15 mo old. I am due in March (will be having a C-Section, as VBAC is not an option where I live). I want to know from those of you with kids close in age (mine will be about 20 mos apart) what you couldn't survive without AND what was a total waste of money.

Josh is already out of the crib and into a twin size bed, he just decided one day he didn't like his crib anymore, so sleeping arrangements are already decided to have the new baby in our room with us (we only live in a two bedroom).

Where I live there is no mall, or even a sidewalk for that matter, so I can't say I've used my stroller since I've moved here, so I will not be buying a double stroller. Josh loves rolling around in his wagon covered in a big quilt (we are in Alaska...Brrr 24 degrees today).

BTW, I am also looking for advice on a good diaper disposal system. The diaper genie is terrible (I just don't have enough arms to open the hatch drop the diaper, twist the thing, hold the baby, etc.!!)

Thanks!!

Melanie
11-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Congratulations & try the Diaper Champ...

MamaKath
11-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Congratulations!

I would get a plain old diaper pail. The diaper champ also works well.

As far as what you need, the only thing I can think of is someplace "safe" to put the baby down. We used a playpen or stroller (this worked better than a bouncy seat inside, because it was a bit higher off the ground)then moved on to the SuperYard as safety zone for awhile.

And a good sling! Keeps your hands free while you chase ds.

HTH~

starrynight
11-15-2003, 09:30 PM
Congrats and good luck!! My last 2 are 19 months apart, I was going to suggest a double but since you said you won't need that. I second the idea of a good sling or some type of carrier so you have free hands when you need to chase your older one. It also depends on your son's personality, a bouncer might be just fine to put the baby in if you think your ds wouldn't bother the baby too much or would at least listen when you asked him not to bother the baby. Daria loves Eliza to pieces and is really good with her so I know Eliza is safe in the bouncer for a few minutes around her. On the other hand Alex rocks her too hard so I don't leave him alone with her.

ktdid74
11-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Congratulations! My kids are almost 3 years apart so I know that's not close together but I think anyone having a second baby HAS to get a sling (or bjorn or whatever). It's such a different world with the second and you need to be able to chase after the first one. I wouldn't have survived without my bjorn (I bought a zolo later but wish I had bought it much sooner!!) those first few months. I use the zolo almost daily though and DD is now 7 months.
As for the diaper disposal- I'm totally a slacker now and just stick the dirty's in grocery sacks and throw them in the big trash can outside at the end of the day.
I guess one other thing I couldn't live without was videos for DS to watch when I was needing to pay attention to the baby. I admit we watched a lot of TV those first few months (winter in Maine, didn't want to go out too much) so a few new videos made DS very happy.
Good luck!!