PDA

View Full Version : We're thinking of painting our dining room ourselves...need tips!

etwahl
11-16-2003, 01:22 PM
we have never really painted, ever. we're not all that handy when it comes to certain things. but we want to paint our dining room red, and our sunroom a brown (pretty dark). we got a quote yesterday from a guy - $400 to paint both rooms (if we buy the paint). he would be painting two coats in each room. the question is, should we paint ourselves? yikes! it's scary, but the thought of saving the money is nice also. the paint we've picked out, he said, is VERY thick and that's why he thinks it would only need two coats. he said he puts it on pretty thick also. it's this paint called Divine paint. a local vendor here sells it, and he says the paint is the best quality he's ever seen.

should we paint? should we hire someone? we could do it before evan goes back to work if we do it...and take our time.

here's some questions i have:

1. what supplies do we need? i assume paint rollers, brushes, pans, paint pour lids, tape, and tarps. but how many of each?

2. taping - do we just tape around windows and door frames and baseboards? what about the ceiling? how do you prevent it from getting on the ceiling?

3. do you use your brush first to paint around all the trim and then go over with your roller? if you are doing more than one coat, do you do those steps BOTH (each time?)

4. tarps - do you cover the entire room, or do you move them around as you go?

5. what pattern do you paint? e.g. do you start up and go down?

i probably have a billion more questions, but can't think of them at the moment. if you have any more suggestions/tips/recommendations, please let me know. if you think we're crazy, please let us know as well. is it worth just paying someone? how much will all these supplies most likely cost us? (not counting paint)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

Marisa6826
11-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Tammy-

I have painted and papered dozens rooms by now. Take it from me, for dark colours - have somebody else do it. If you don't do it right, you will get lots of streaks. The darker colours also require a primer and are a LOT harder to clean up (think trim lines and ceiling cut ins).

$400 is CHEAP. Have the guy do it and save yourself a lot of angst and back pain!!!

Edited to say that by the time you get good brushes (and it truly does pay to use good ones - not crappy $3 ones), tarps, tape, ladder, rollers and covers it will be at LEAST $100+. The paint will probably be about $25-35/gal. if they're custom. BTW - make sure you save extra for touchups in a sealed, labeled PLASTIC container (old Rubbermaid). Try and get one small enough that the paint comes almost to the top so that you don't get a film over it.

-m

etwahl
11-16-2003, 02:20 PM
marisa, you make tons of sense...and we just discussed what you said and i think we're agreed. the funny thing is, we never ever thought about doing it, then all of a sudden we said "maybe we should..." but we just didn't know. plus, i don't really want to spend all our time together painting. you're right. the amount we'd save is worth it to hire a professional. thanks for the advice.

phew, i think we just saved ourselves A LOT of headaches.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

bluej
11-16-2003, 02:37 PM
I would definitely hire to have it done, especially if you are going w/ red. We have done all of the painting ourselves in this house. I actually started out enjoying it. Not anymore. The thought of painting is enough to make me cry now. What sent me over the edge? Caden's red room. It has four coats of red paint and I kid you not, it could use another one. Everyone thinks I'm insane and they swear they don't see how it needs another coat, but I think that's just b/c they don't spend as much time in the room as I do. Seriously, trying to avoid the ceiling and trim w/ a dark color will send you over the edge!

lukkykatt
11-16-2003, 03:48 PM
ITA. $400 is a very good price, especially for 2 coats in each room.

Just think of how long it would take you to paint 2 rooms around Lauren's schedule. Especially since you've never done it before... Write the check and don't look back!

sweetbasil
11-16-2003, 10:51 PM
Painting with a baby around is sooooo hard to do- unless you get some help watching her for the day, that sounds like a steal! Can't wait to see pics :)

Good luck,

lizajane
11-16-2003, 10:56 PM
our guest room (sitting in it now!) is red. we used a dark primer and i think 3 coats of paint. hire the prof. if you can. painting two coats is ok. painting three coats is a chore. painting 4 coats is flat out boring and it may take you forever to get up the energy to put that last coat on!!