PDA

View Full Version : Any good chili recipes?

cdlamis
11-17-2003, 01:17 PM
I'll admit it- I am not a good cook and don't even know how to make basic chili. It sounded good for tonights menu but when I searched for chili recipes, I found couldn't find just basic chili.
DH said to call his grandma but I want to show him that I can make good chili too!! Anyone with a recipe for me?
TIA-
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

Tondi G
11-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Crockpot Chili
Throw this all in together and crock on low for 6 hrs
-1lb cooked and drained ground beef
-cut up 1 each green and red peppers
-cup up medium onion
-2 drained cans of kidney beans
-3 cloves garlic
-1 can/jar stewed tomatos
-1 can Hunts thick and rich spaghetti sauce -pepper
-2 packets of Old EL Paso chili mix (powder)

Serve with french bread and butter or cornbread and a salad :)

sounds like an easy enough recipe!

Here is another

1 lb cooked ground beef
1 small chopped onion, sauteed
1 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Woecestershire sauce
1-8 oz can kidney beans, drained
1-16 oz can tomato sauce

Combine all ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on Low for 6-8 hours or High for 2-3 hours.

OK one more

2 pounds ground beef
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
2 large onions chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 TBS. vegetable oil
2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style chili beans, undrained
1 1/2 cups water
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 jar medium salsa
3 to 4 Tbs. chili powder
1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
1 (12 ounce) can beer
1/2 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot sauce to taste

Cook ground beef, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, and 1/4 tsp. cumin in a Dutch oven until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat.
Drain and set aside.
Sauté chopped onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper in oil until tender.
Add ground beef mixture.
Stir in tomato sauce, chili beans, water, tomato paste, salsa, and 3 to 4 Tbs. chili powder.
Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add kidney beans and next 5 ingredients, stirring well.
Simmer 15 minutes or until ready to serve

There you go.... 3 to choose from! Good Luck!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason(2) and #2 edd 6/6/04

cdlamis
11-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Wow- Thank you Tondi!
I am off to start cooking. Yummy.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

amp
11-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Ok, here's my dirty little secret, and if any of you ever come to my house for chili, I'll deny ever having said it...I don't make my chili from scratch and no one knows it.

I use Chili Magic Traditional (I can't remember who it's made by, but it comes in a somewhat unattractive can and has the beans and some seasonings in a sauce). You use one can of it, one can of diced tomatoes, 1 lb of cooked ground beef, and one cup chopped onion. You can cook it in a short time on the stove, but I always make it around lunch time in the slow cooker and let it cook all day. The recipe is right on the back of the can of Chili Magic. We always make a double batch of it, so 2 of everything mentioned above.

I was embarrassed to admit this to my husband when we first started living together, but he loves it and I don't think anyone suspects that it's not from scratch. Now that everyone likes it, I don't have any desire to go to more effort to cook it!

August Mom
11-17-2003, 03:43 PM
This is the recipe that I always use. It is very good. DH likes it spicy, but the heat level can be easily adjusted by cutting back on the chili powder, hot sauce, jalapeno and/or chili peppers.

Chili

2 pounds ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
2 medium green peppers, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
2 cans (22 oz.) chili beans in zesty sauce (such as Brooks)
2 cans (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
2 cans (15 oz.) Hunts Seasoned Tomato Sauce for Chili
1 cup tomato juice
1 tablespoon chili powder
dash hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
4 dried chili peppers
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. In a 6 to 8 quart stockpot, brown ground beef over moderately high heat for approximately 6-8 minutes, or until no longer pink. Remove from pan and drain. Fine ground beef with metal spoon or knife, or pulse briefly in food processor to remove large clumps of meat.

2. Return ground beef to pan and add the chopped onion. Cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is tender.

3. Add the green pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili beans, black beans, tomato sauce, tomato juice, tomato sauce special, chili powder, hot sauce, chili peppers, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for between 30 and 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water or additional tomato juice if chili becomes too thick.

4. Remove all chili peppers before serving.

Serves 12

bluej
11-17-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm reading these recipes and I realize it's been a long time since I've had real chili. We've been eating 'kid-friendly' chili for so long! Here's my kid-friendly chili.

2 lbs ground beef
3 T oil
1 med onion, chopped (or a dash of onion powder if your kids refuse to eat onions)
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t fresh ground black pepper
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground chipolte pepper (or red pepper)
1/2 - 1 1/2 t crushed red pepper
3 T chili powder
3 c water
26 oz tomato puree
26 oz crushed tomatoes
1 can chili beans
1 can pork 'n beans
1-2 t salt

Brown the beef, drain and set aside. Heat oil in kettle over med-high heat, adding onions when hot. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, chipolte pepper, crushed red pepper, chili powder, water, puree, crushed tomatoes, beans and beef. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring often.

We serve ours w/ Sweet Corn Cake.

mrmansmom
11-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Chili is one of the great things to make because you can totally tailor it to what you like. There are a few basic ingredients to include, but if you want more of something or less of something you can ammend the chili accordingly. Plus, chili is a one pot dish that can cook for as long or as short as you would like to cook it. The longer you cook it the more the flavors will come together. Here's what I do for chili (for 2 people plus leftovers):
In a big sauce pan (6 quart size keeps everything in the pot) over medium heat put a small pour of cooking oil (less than 1 Tbs) then 3/4 to 1 lb of ground sirlion (the ground meat with less fat. You could also use ground turkey). Add salt, pepper a dash or 3 of Worcestire Sauce and brown the meat and add diced onion (around 1/4 cup)and 2 caorsely chopped bellpeppers- any color you like. Stir this for a few minutes until the onions get translucent. Then add 2 or 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic. You can use a garlic pres if you want to make it easier. Let this cook a few minutes but try to not let the garlic brown. Then add 2 cans of beans. Kidney beans are traditional, of course (and you can use one can of light and one can of dark to make it look interesting) but you can vary the beans if you want to be adventuresome. Also add 2 28oz cans of crushed San Marzano tomatoes- a white can with a purple rim around the top- they're really good but any crushed tomatoes will do. Stir everything really well and prepare to season. You've already salted and peppered the meat, but nothing else, so add some more salt and pepper. IT's better to err on the side of not enough because you can always add more. Also add a little chili powder (maybe a teaspoon)and maybe a bay leaf. Bring this to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. At this point you can taste it to see if it needs more of anything. If you'd like to spice it up a bit add some cayenne pepper or you can cut up a jalepeno when you do the bell peppers. Remember to remove the seeds or it will really be spicy. Once the chili comes to a boil you know everything is okay to eat, so it's up to you how long you leave it on the stove. If you decide to let it simmer for a while cover it with the lid slightly askew.
Chili is a great dish to make because you can make it your own. You don't need a recipe, and that will really impress your husband! Plus, there's only one dish to wash.

luvbeinmama
11-17-2003, 08:53 PM
This is really good..... and easy.... enjoy!

TURKEY CHILI

1 can diced tomatoes (14 ½ oz)
2 med tomatoes
1 sm can tomato sauce
8 oz ground turkey
1 large onion chopped
2 sm green bell peppers
3 tbsp chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp black pepper
4 tsp olive oil
1 can (16 oz) red kidney beans, drained
1 c. frozen corn
½ c. med or mild salsa
hot-pepper sauce (Tabasco) to taste (optional)
¼ c. chopped fresh cilantro

Chop tomatoes, add to diced tomatoes & tomato sauce, set aside. Mix turkey, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, garlic, cumin, black pepper. Heat oil in large saucepan over high heat. Add turkey mixture & saute for 5 minutes until turkey is cooked. Stir in tomato mixture, beans, corn, salsa & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover & simmer for 5 minutes longer. Season with hot-pepper sauce. Serve topped with cilantro (and sour cream).