PDA

View Full Version : teaching signs to my "extra" child

lizajane
11-17-2003, 02:33 PM
i am watching a friend's child (for money!) for several weeks. her mom is working on signs with her. she has been doing "more" for a while, but her mom has not yet been able to get her to do "please" or "thank you."

so this morning, she came over to me with her little box of cheerios and whined. so, as usual, i said, "please?" and did the sign. i usually wait a second, do it again, and then give it to her. (not even my kid, but the whining thing makes me nuts. and makes her mom nuts, too.) so today, she clapped, then started to do "more" then (drumroll) she patted her chest. well close enough!!! (please is rubbing your chest in a circle) so i just about sang her a song. i gave her the cheerios. and when she finished them, she came over and did "MORE PLEASE!!!!" she did both signs in a row!!! we did a HUGE song and dance number over that one!! then, of course, she kept doing "please" over and over again because she got such a great reaction from me.

i was so excited, i called her mom to tell her. she was very excited and proud, too.

what will it be like when MY kid starts to sign if i get this excited when my friend's daughter does it!!! :)

AngelaS
11-17-2003, 04:24 PM
When A was little, I nannied for my pediatricians 3 kids. I read Baby Signs and started teaching her son to sign (he was my official guinea pig). He picked it up FAST and I knew then that I couldn't WAIT to get A started! Not to mention how impressed my ped was with how well signing worked!