PDA

View Full Version : DO I NEED TO WORRY- Tristan standing on toes

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-17-2003, 06:06 PM
One of my best friends sons had to wear leg braces from standing on his toes at a young age...when Tristan stands up against a table etc he is clearly standing on his toes...is this normal????

Thanks in advance for any insight...I feel wierd calling the ped over this, but poor fella I keep going behind him and putting his heel down to the floor and imagining my little guy in leg braces.

Neve O'Neal
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

flagger
11-17-2003, 06:11 PM
HI Neve,

Welcome back to the boards. I wouldn't judge my child against any other child and think positively. He could just be trying to get another view on things. Cocoa is in an exercaucer and we raised it to the next level after her being on her flat feet for quite a while. She is now on her tippy toes. When placed against the couch, she will sometimes get up on her tippy toes and other times stay on her feet.

Of course if you need to allay your fears, a call to a professional is always in order. Don't feel silly as that is what they are there for. I probably wouldn't do it at 3AM though, but that is just me. LOL

mom2kandj
11-17-2003, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't be too worried! You might want to bring it up at your nine month well baby check and see what the ped says! FWIW, DS still runs on the balls of his feet somedays!

BTW - I saw NEVE and TRISTAN as the newest member and I wanted to drop a note to say, "Welcome Back!" The profile was disabled, but I'll make do replying to your post!

Once again, WELCOME BACK!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

cindyl
11-17-2003, 06:15 PM
hi neve --

i don't post too much but i'm here a lot and i, along with many others apparently, missed your posts! welcome back.

my 10 month old daughter stands on her tippy toes alot. i understand this is very common when they first start standing -- it's why they have a hard time just getting up and walking. he'll probably experiment with a lot of ways of standing (feet apart, feet together, etc) before he starts strolling along.

again, welcome back!

cindy (mom to chloe 1/03)

mamahill
11-17-2003, 06:16 PM
HELLO!! Ainsleigh stood on her toes ALL the time, but walks fine now. Can I just say how exciting it is that Tristan is STANDING?! Fabulous!

And if you forgot your password, you can input mama2be and your email address and it will send you a new one... that is, if you want to keep that old one:).

Welcome back mama and T! We've missed you!

Sarah1
11-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Neve--

I don't really have any advice except it sounds normal to me...

Mainly wanted to ask, how are you? I've missed your posts :)

lisams
11-17-2003, 06:20 PM
My DD did that for a while when she was just starting to stand while holding on to things. I did worry about it, but she slowly started standing flat on her feet. From a post awhile back, it sounds like it is very normal as their leg muscles get used to being used differently. Don't feel bad about calling the ped. - I'm sure they are very used to calls like this and it might put your mind at ease.

It's so good to "see" you around again! I've been wondering how the adoption search is going and how your little kitty who had surgery is.

Lisa

partyof5
11-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Hi Neve,

I'm happy to see you back. Missed you, Tristan and your stories! My friend's daughter is wearing braces also and since it's not working, her daughter might have to have casts put on for 3 months to break her of her habit. But her daughter is 4 years old.

I wouldn't worry too much about the tippy toeing. Sophia used to walk on her tippy toes in the beginning too but like most children she stopped. It's when a child is older and doesn't stop, that you have to worry. Plus, when you bring Tristan to the pediatrician for his well visits, they'll usually check how he walks to make sure that everything is okay...which I'm sure it is :-) . But I know how concerned you feel because I'm the same EXACT way. Even with 3 kids, I still bring them to the ped when they have a cold or just not themselves. The office staff knows us by now and always asks me, "Back again?" To which I reply, "I looooooooooooove this place, I just can't stay away!", lol! Hope this eases your mind!

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)

Marisa6826
11-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Welcome back Girlie!!!

Just a note of encouragement - Sophie stood on her toes for about six-eight weeks before finally going flat-footed. She's standing now, hanging on by just one hand, feet flat on the floor. I posted the same question then and everybody said that it was normal and she would eventually stop. Sure enough, they were right!

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Again, good to see you. Kisses from Sophie to Tristan!

-m

deborah_r
11-17-2003, 07:08 PM
I just want to point out regarding the Exersaucer - I think babies are supposed to be on tip-toes in the saucer. I only noticed that rule after I owned the thing for about 3 weeks, so I wanted to post that because I thought others might have missed it too. It says "do not allow baby to stand flat-footed on the base or on the floor" - I was surpriosed to read it and still can't say I totally understand it. Does it mean babies should never stand flat-footed?

jec2
11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Yeah. I'm relatively new but lurked for awhile and have missed all your posts too. It's good to see you back...you offer a lot I know.

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Thank you for your kind words....
ADOPTION PROCESS-I just wrote way more than anyone would ever want to know about the adoption under the adoption forum because Kim had inquired over there...I have so much to add to my thread I started there to help others w/Ukraine adoptions from the research I've done...but it is a very very slow process, and very time consuming, not to mention the money. We know we want to adopt two children at one time so financially it is overwhelming for us...the good news is that Steve and I really do know that we have two children out there under this same sky that belong with us...we know that and I can't help but think that when we are ready they will just becoming avaialble at that exact time and moment.

SCHOONER...you are so sweet to ask...he did marvelous!!!! His surgery was only $250 (I did switch vets remember the other wanted $750), and I swear he could not have been in better hands with them. They said he had calcium oxylate in his stones, and I heard it here first that this is a common thing in male kitties.

I wanted to sqweek this info into this same post if no one minds...but several of you have emailed me asking about things and wanted to update...

PIERRE THE ABUSED POODLE...has had his day!!!! He has been on the news for two nights and will be again for "sweeps week" NBC took on his story with the greatest amount of gusto!!! We lucked out to get a new reporter here in Raleigh who was tough on our animal control, passionate for animals (and a cutie patootie to boot)...who spent a great amount of time reviewing video, and meeting Pierre and several of us. Pierre was the "top story" for two nights in a row...I was on the news one night with him talking ill of our local animal control and how they left him. He had his heart worm treatment and has suffered some, but he has been adopted and the attention his story got was a HUGE story here. One second after the segment ended Sonia (martiesmom) called and said she recognized Pierre the second they showed him :)I love my new vet we took Pierre in there because of nose bleeds and he let me "assist" in his little surgery by playing scrub nurse!!!!

THERESA (MY FRIEND WHO LOST HER BABY)-so many have asked about her and I have shared with her-thank you!!!! She does not have the autopsy results back yet, I know she is waiting till her follow-up (I think next week) to get them. She has a tremendous fate to her and has repeated over and over that she felt god only gives you waht you can handle and thinks that god must have thought she couldn't handle possibly another scenerio... She would have had David John Oct 28th and had a service for him that week-end. She was surrounded by love and Tristan discovering his voice during the whole ceremony. She is such a classy gal and while her girls fought over Tristan loudly while the Lords Prayer was being recited and Tristan screamed with glee at them I gestured "I'm sorry I'm trying to keep him quite" and she smiled back and gestured she wouldn't have it any other way...so she is a strong gal, has claimed to have had her moments but is just surrounded by tons of support. She did say she thinks she'd feel better if nothing was wrong then something found to be 'wrong"...for if there is genetic problems etc... she thinks she will not try again as opposed to nothing being wrong and thus she would try again...
Thanks for asking, sorry so long but so many people from the boards have inquired and thought I should answer
Hugs!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

starrynight
11-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Hi Neve, welcome back!!

It's normal, I think the only reason you have to worry is when it seems like Tristan *can't* stand flat footed. If he can but chooses not to right now he is fine. All my kids stood on tip toes and even walked on them at first.

Momof3Labs
11-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Those are the exersaucer instructions, but if you talk to any physical therapist, they will tell you to NOT let them stand on tippy toes in the saucer - to keep them flat-footed at all times.

Of course, as long as you are using the saucer in moderation, none of this should be a big issue for most babies.

Momof3Labs
11-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Nothing to add to what everyone has said, except welcome back!! Please don't be a stranger again!

deborah_r
11-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Thank you for that information Lori - it never occurred to me to question Evenflo's instructions for their own product!. I wonder why they would say that - is it so baby can't try to climb out of the saucer? This has now been added to things that bother me about the saucer - the other things are that Kai can pull 2 of the toys off the saucer and the orange thing with the sun he has actually broken off twice, so that I have to get out the screwdriver and reattach it.

todzwife
11-17-2003, 08:04 PM
We all missed you! Welcome back!!!

cinrein
11-17-2003, 08:12 PM
We missed you---welcome back!

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Andrea S
11-17-2003, 08:38 PM
We are glad to see you back. We missed you!!! Thanks for the update. Andrew stood on his toes in the beginning and now is running just fine.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

luvbeinmama
11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
I think you got your answer... LOL! I have seen MANY kids tiptoeing around and they are just fine.

I did want to say welcome back! We sure did miss you!

egoldber
11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Neve, welcome back!!!

And Sarah did that too. Sometimes I think they do things just because they enjoy it, LOL!!! :)

deborah_r
11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Welcome back Neve! I was so worried about you, glad to hear you are doing well!

COElizabeth
11-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Neve,

Like so many others, James started standing this way, too, but he now stands on flat feet most of the time. Sounds like there's nothing to worry about. I am so glad to hear from you! Is Tristan as happy as ever? James sends a big hello his way!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sweetbasil
11-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Oh, Neve, my boys and I are soooooo glad to see you, Tristan, Steve, the pups, kitties, and the whole rest of your gang are back!

Kellen did the tippy-toe thing as a little one learning to walk, and every now and then (even at age 3- can you believe it?!) still gets up on his tippies when he wants something and asks in a sweet little pleading voice while raising himself up as high as possible on his toes (like being higher makes him more likely to get a "YES!" from us), when he's goofing around, and when he gets excited about random things, but he still walks just fine.

You made our night, popping back in, and we hope you're back to stay, sweetie!

Big hugs,

lisams
11-17-2003, 10:51 PM
Wow, you have been busy these days! Fate will lead you to those children - I'm a big believer in things happening for a reason. So glad to hear the surgery went well and didn't cost so much. Yay, Pierre!!!!!!! Thanks for the updates, I've been thinking about you guys:)

Lisa

peanut4us
11-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Sara stands on her tippy-toes frequently when she stands against the couch. It never occured to me to be concerned. But then, she also crawls without her knees touching the floor if she is on a non-carpeted surface. LOL! She looks so funny!

I have a nephew who until he was about 3, whenever he was walking, he would walk on his toes when he was on a noncarpted surface. It was so cute!

SO my long answer is: I wouldn't worry about it. And welcome back :)

Annette_C
11-17-2003, 11:24 PM
{{{{{{{{NEVE}}}}}}}}!!!!!!
Welcome back, sweetie!!!!!:)
WOW! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your post!! I'm so happy you're back!! The board hasn't been the same without you!!;)
Thanks for updating us on what's been going on in your life. You're quite the busy momma!!
As far as your concerns about Tristan standing on his toes, I wouldn't stress over it too much (like all the others have already said). Sabrina still does it sometimes, even when walking. We just call her our ballerina!:)
Will you be posting some new pictures of T soon? I can't wait to see how big he's grown!!
Good luck with everything and don't you ever leave us again!!:)
Hugs to all of you,
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

MamaKath
11-18-2003, 12:03 AM
{{{{{{NEVE}}}}}}}

Welcome back!!! You have been missed!!!

As for the feet, I wouldn't worry unless he seems to be in pain etc if he is flat footed.

vikivoly
11-18-2003, 01:51 AM
I think it's a "protect our @$$" kind of thing. If a baby is flat footed in the saucer they can get more leverage and propell themselves higher when they jump.

khakismom
11-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Neve, I am so happy to see you back! :) And I love that Tristan is standing--whoo-hoo!!

twins r fun
11-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Hi Neve,

Just wanted to say welcome back and also comment on your question. It looks like you've got your answer of don't worry, but I'll add my "expert" opinion since I have a toddler in leg braces. As someone else said, the only reason you should be concerned is if Tristan actually cannot put his heel to the floor, if it seems uncomfortable for him to do it, or if when you push his heel down it is really difficult to do. Jacob wears plastic Ankle Foot Orthotics that come up to a few inches below his knees. He originally got them because he's very flatfooted and rolls his ankles inward terribly. Then after consulting another doctor who said they weren't going to solve that problem we stopped using them. Within 2 months Jacob's hamstring muscle in one leg had tightened up so much that he was unable to put his heel on the floor. So we're back to using them and doing stretching exercises. You can feel the tightness in the one leg and when doing the exercises where he lays on his back and we bend his foot upward toward his body, you really have to push hard. If Tristan's foot bends slightly past a 90 degree angle easily, he's got no problems.

JMarie
11-18-2003, 06:25 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<NEVE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Welcome back! Aidan did the tippy-toe thing for a while, and still does on occasion, but for the most part he's flat-footed now. I think I read something about the Achilles tendon needing to loosen up in order for the foot to flatten, but I can't be sure. If you're truly concerned, go ahead and call the nurse at your ped's office. I hope they can offer you a better answer!

Good to see you here again and I can't wait to hear about the new additions to your home! Kisses all around!

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

Melanie
11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Without reading all the other replies, what I've learned was that standing on tip-toes instead of flat-foot is a sign that he's not yet ready to walk physiologically (or is it physically? anyway)...I never heard anything about it affecting their legs. I would imagine if he is going somewhere and pulling himself up on his own, and it's not for a long time, I wouldn't worry.

Our ped. did tell us that it was "an old wive's tale" that standing them up made them bow-legged...Ds was never a toe-stander, though, so take that for what it's worth.

Melanie
11-18-2003, 07:24 PM
How interesting. I thought it was tippy-toes in a saucer because having their weight on their feet, long-term, before they are ready was damaging to the feet, so if it was just toes it wouldn't harm them? Shows what I know...we didn't have one at home anyway.

22tango
11-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Welcome Back!!! The boards weren't the same without you!!! :)