PDA

View Full Version : Is there a machine for this?

s_gosney
11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Is there a baby gadget that will pat my baby on the back nonstop? I'm just kidding...well sort of. She doesn't like her swing, the bouncy seat, the vibrating seat or anything else but laying somewhere (usually my chest, my arms, or my lap) and being patted nonstop. It seems there are baby gadgets for everything, so I thought there might be a chance. :)
On a more real note, we've noticed a definite increase in her fussiness as of late, so I've started trying to incorporate some of the tips from Happiest Baby on the Block. The only problem is that I read it 3 months ago and can't remember all of it and there's no way I can read it now. So, for those of you who have read it, can you remind me of the 5 s's? I can remember suck, shhh, swaddle, and swing, but not the other one. Also, isn't there a certain order or something?
One happy update, she's taken a couple of hour long naps in places other than connected to me now. That's as long as she's made it for now, but it's a little improvement.
Thanks for listening and for the help.

Momof3Labs
11-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Side/stomach. Dr. Karp's jiggling technique was priceless for us - it was the "missing piece" that we hadn't figured out on our own. It truly is worth even reading one chapter now - it's hard to find the time, but you'll be glad that you did. Or assign this task to DH.

Yes, I remember those days. My arm was soooo sore from all the patting! I so wish that I had a sling back then since all Colin wanted to do was be held, and then I could have walked him around and jiggled him without wearing out my arms.

jd11365
11-17-2003, 07:54 PM
I swear I posted the same thing when Kayla was Kylee's age! Kayla only wanted to be held...I was her favorite toy. So much for all the crap we bought these kids huh? I wish I had a sling then but put it off. By the time I decided on one...Kayla was ready for the Megasaucer...which she loved! I could finally put her down!!

Keep up the good work...it will get better!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

todzwife
11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Have you tried Gripe water? I just ordered some last week for DS and it has made a tremendous difference. I think you can get it at whole foods and other healthy stores, but if not you can order it from their website. www.babysbliss.com I think... It wasn't cheap (about $15 for a bottle) but worth every penny! It even gets rid of hiccups! Good luck! I know exactly what you are going through!

egoldber
11-17-2003, 08:50 PM
You may want to get a sling or a front carrier. That way even though he's still attached to you, you can at least move your arms and go to the bathroom if you need to!

Good luck. And remember, it DOES get better!!!

miki
11-17-2003, 09:49 PM
I don't really have much advice--my baby is only slightly older. The sling I have helps a lot on Lorelei's fussy days. I'll put her in the sling and walk around the neighborhood to run errands. It's slower than putting her in the carseat and driving but she will sleep the whole time in the sling whereas she wakes up getting in and out of the car. And it's good exercise--I've only got 8 pounds left of the pregnancy weight thanks to all the walks.

The other moms out there give great reassurance and suggestions. I forget who wrote it and on what thread, but I read one mom's comment that if only you could be really sure that all of this will pass and get over all the anxiety about being a new mom, you could really enjoy your baby being so little. I just keep thinking about that and try to enjoy her even though it's very difficult sometimes. Lorelei is only 2 months old, but just like the other moms said, I can already see that some of the things that were frustrating me are getting better. Slowly, but I can see some progress. I make an effort to keep my camera handy as we go about the day so I can take pictures and be able to look at them later.