PDA

View Full Version : US & British Virgin Islands - 2nd honeymoon off season?

emmasmama
11-17-2003, 08:54 PM
This is probably a longshot, but I posted here a while back about the 2nd honeymoon I'm planning and got some great ideas from everyone!

Does anyone know enough about the USVI or BVI to tell me if it gets really dead at the beginning of off season (end of April/beginning of May). Because of scheduling, my DH and I can't go until then, but he's really concerned about things being closed etc because it's the beginning of the off season as it starts to get warmer on the east coast.

Anyone have any thoughts? I told him I'm sure it would be fine - it's not like we're going in the fall, when I'm sure it really would be dead.

TIA!

egoldber
11-17-2003, 09:18 PM
Well, we have gone to the Caribbean numerous times in the fall. We've never had a problem with a resort not being open during those times. You can get fabulous deals in shoulder season. But on the other hand, the weather isn't always as good. We also went to Bonaire in June (our last hurrah before Sarah was born) and it was fabulous. But we chose Bonaire for June because those islands are generally out of the path of hurricanes and June is definitely hurrican season.

HTH,

momathome
11-17-2003, 09:34 PM
We went to St. Thomas in August of '97 for our honeymoon and it was fabulous. The resort we stayed at was at less than half capacity, the island was very quiet to explore, and all shops and tourist attractions were open. It was so nice not to be fighting through crowds of people and it made the vacation truly relaxing. If you are considering St. Thomas, the Renaissance Grand Beach Resort was amazing - they have their own private beach and you can snorkel at a cove within walking distance. The setting was very romantic. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
-Lauren

Jen in Chicago
11-17-2003, 10:01 PM
We went to St John for our honeymoon. I would HIGHLY recommend it. We stayed at Gallowspoint at a condo managed by Suite St John. We went in Nov., but I am sure there is stuff going on there year round since it is more of a "local" place than touristy.

cuca_
11-17-2003, 10:20 PM
I've been to the Virgin Islands in April and it was not dead. Although I did not stay in a hotel (we were in a boat) there seemed to be plenty of people at the resorts and at the beach. I love the VI's both US and British. You'll have a great time!

kozachka
11-18-2003, 07:47 AM
We have also charted a boat with a captain from Moorings at BVI at the beginning of May few years ago. It was the best sea vacation we've ever had and we had quite a few. It bacame the gold standard for us. And it's not that expensive if you share with another couple, which of course you probably won't want to do considering it's your second honeymoon.

The weather was wonderful and the water amazing, warm, calm and full of colourful fish.

We went from island to island, and of the big ones we actually preferred the second largest one, not Tortolla. Make sure to visit Baths, it's an amazing place. Local people have been extremely friendly and open everywhere. The islands were very clean and unbelievably safe. One time we forgot cash and credit cards on the table at the restaurant while soaking at the pool, and somebody just brought them over.

From what I was told by customs officials, the number of tourists visiting the islands is closely monitored to make sure that it's not overcrowded. British Virgin Islands are supposed to be much better that the American ones.

Can't wait till we can travel again.

Elena
Due 12/11/03

emmasmama
11-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses! DH is much more reassured now, and I told him that we'd be getting a good deal to boot - can't beat that!

emmasmama
11-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Elena, when you say you preferred the 2nd largest BVI, are you referring to Virgin Gorda? We had been planning on spending the majority of the trip in BVI's and maybe only a couple of nights on St. John on our way to the BVI's. I had been thinking Tortola because Virgin Gorda seemed extremely small and a little harder to get to, but can you tell me what you liked better about it? Maybe I should think more about going there instead?