PDA

View Full Version : So unprepared for the shots

miki
11-17-2003, 09:35 PM
We went to the ped today and had 3 shots. I knew they were going to be given but I was completely unprepared for how unhappy those shots made my little girl. She went from gurgling to screaming louder than I have ever heard with a completely purple face in a split second. When I summarized our visit for my husband, he said at least we know the screaming she occasionally does is not her being really, really unhappy since it's nothing near as bad as what happened after those shots.

mrmansmom
11-17-2003, 09:48 PM
It's so sad to see them SO unhappy, isn't it? We had our first shot a few weeks ago, and I knew it would be horrible but was unprepared for the pain my child was in. Maybe it was my overactive imagination, but I really think my son looked at me like "You're standing right here- how can you let this happen to me?" He turned purple, too- in a split second. I don't know if I can handle years of these things!

houseof3boys
11-17-2003, 10:43 PM
I know! I had to bring DH with me for the next 2 rounds of shots so I could leave the room. I am going to be brave and do the next visit solo. It really is hard when you go through it the first time though! :(

pritchettzoo
11-17-2003, 10:55 PM
We had our 2 month shots today too. My muffin got 5! :-( I saw real tears for the first time ever. I just kept kissing her face and apologizing. She calmed completely down when I nursed her. A friend of mine's son went monkey-poop and the nurse suggested that she BF her son while she gave the shots. He didn't make a peep. So if you're nursing, maybe that would help next time? I might try it.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

flagger
11-17-2003, 11:46 PM
We had to do four last week. If it is any consolation what your are vaccinating against is far worse than the temporary pain of those shots.

This recent Hep A outbreak in Philly just scares the bejeebus out of me.

houseof3boys
11-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Our doctors office wont' let us nurse while doing it or let you hold the child in your arms. She said it was because they can't ensure the shot will go in correctly without them lying down. :(