PDA

View Full Version : ??s- son may be having infant seizures- or shuttering/shivering

jubilee
11-18-2003, 12:25 AM
Logan's seeing the ped tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get the "real life" scoop from anyone who might know about infant seizures, epilepsy, or such. He has had maybe 5 shivering incidents... 4 were just his head for a few seconds, and 1 was his whole upper body for about 15 seconds. He seemed fine afterward, but this sure doesn't seem normal... or is it? Could it be just a delay in nervous system development? I know you all aren't doctors, but maybe you have insight into this condition. Thanks

Sandy
11-18-2003, 01:13 AM
Julie,
I just sent you a e-mail regarding this. CYE.

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

MommytoDylan
11-18-2003, 01:38 AM
Julie,

No advice...just wanted you to know I am wishing you and your sweet little one the best tomorrow!

Love,
Meredith
Mommy to Dylan Timothy
11-12-02

sweetbasil
11-18-2003, 02:25 AM
We have no experience with that, but just wanted you to know we'll be thinking of you and can't wait to hear of a very positive report from your Ped on Tuesday, Julie and Logan!

Big hugs,

himom
11-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Okay, I know this is weird but I thought I'd just throw it out there. Is it possible he's peeing?

I saw my DS doing this and was starting to get concerned until my Mom saw him do it once and immediately ordered me to change his diaper. I thought she was crazy but sure enough, he was wet. I've been testing the theory out and it seems to work. When he shivers, he pees. Actually, I assuming he shivers BECAUSE he's peeing, but I guess that might be a reach and I should probably call my ped too just to make sure.

However, I have "field tested" this by catching him in the bathtub. If I see a little shiver I look at the water and there is always the little undercurrent indicating an underwater stream. :)

Good luck at the ped today!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

amp
11-18-2003, 09:08 AM
It's good you are going to see the ped to check it out for sure, but I just wanted to reassure you that our son did have the shiver, quivering jaw in the first month or two and were reassured that it was normal and a result of an immature nervous system as you wondered. Hopefully that's all it is. Good luck!

starrynight
11-18-2003, 10:15 AM
I want to wish you luck today at the peds.

jubilee
11-18-2003, 04:55 PM
well, Logan saw the ped today and although he looks mostly normal, he needs to have an EEG. Which the dr explained was a brain wave test that will determine if it's just an immature nervous system or if it's a type of seizure. My hubby's sister had epilepsy so we have real concerns. I don't know yet when the test will be scheduled. The office will call us soon. Thanks for your prayers! Hopefully this is nothing serious.

sntm
11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
hoping he's okay. the eeg is really easy -- they stick a bunch of electrodes all over him so he looks scary but it won't hurt him AT ALL. fwiw, what you described didn't sound much like a seizure to me (grand mal or petit mal), though i am not a neurologist.
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

jojo2324
11-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Julie, is it related to fever? I can't recall the exact name, but I had a friend whose baby would seize as a result of her body temp skyrocketing. Supposedly this is really common in babies, and doesn't continue after a few episodes. They were concerned for a while, but her daughter is fine now. Good luck with the EEG!! Thinking of you both.

jubilee
11-19-2003, 12:46 AM
I know it's so slight that I was at first thinking it was nothing, but after he had a 15 second tremor, I thought a doctor's visit was in order. Apparently there is a disorder called "west's syndrome" that is really close to what Logan has been experiencing. Thankfully it seems that can be controlled by meds, so the EEG will let us know if that's the case

sntm
11-19-2003, 08:08 AM
julie,
i'll be crossing my fingers that everything will turn out okay. if you want me to research anything for you, just pm me.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

amp
11-19-2003, 10:42 AM
A febrile seizure is the one associated with fever, but I'm assuming that's not the case if the ped saw him and didn't mention it.

MamaKath
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Julie, Hope everything goes smoothly! DD had seizures as a toddler, and it was sooo scary for me. Hard to imagine the insane helplessness us mom's go through watching. I have to find the name of the book that was so helpful for us. I promise to look it up later, I am running late for an appt. If you ever need to talk, you can certainly contact me!

nigele
11-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Good luck with the EEG - let us know the results!

cara1
11-19-2003, 12:13 PM
West's syndrome causes seizures that are also called jack-knife seizures or infantile spasms. Baby's entire body flexes forward like a jack-knife. They are very characteristic in appearance. Tremors are not usually a feature. The EEG will be helpful regardless. Best of luck and keep us posted.

starrynight
11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Julie, I hope it's nothing. Good luck with the eeg and keep us all updated on Logan.