PDA

View Full Version : OT- Is department store jewelry decent quality?

nofeea
11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
DH told me to pick out a piece of jewelry several times over the last year- when DD was born, for my birthday, our anniversary, etc. The occasions just keep adding up but I've never been able to get out of the house to get to a good jeweler! DD's a year old already and I think I'm going to lose my chance if I don't take him up on his offer soon:)! There's a big sale at Macy's now and I think I can actually get there, but I've always wondered about buying jewelry in a department store. Anyone know anything about this? Would you trust the quality of their stuff? It always makes me wonder when they start out with some really high 'retail price' and then list a MUCH lower sale price.

Thanks for any info... :)

MelissaTC
11-18-2003, 03:44 PM
My Mom has bought some beautiful pieces of jewelry from Macys. As far as I know, you are safe.

starrynight
11-18-2003, 04:51 PM
I have bought a few things from Macy's they are good quality. Jewelry is marked up 300% from what I heard and then that is how stores can offer an "awesome sale" and still actually make money. Go pick out a few nice things!! I wish my dh told me to do that lol.

ddmarsh
11-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Try checking here: www.jamesavery.com. The jewelery is lovely and the silver is very reasonable.

nofeea
11-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, he didn't exactly say 'a few' but one thing does lead to another...;) Now I'll have to calculate everything down 300% to see if I'm really getting a good deal. Thanks :)

Marisa6826
11-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Check out www.fortunoff.com.

They don't have many stores, but their stuff is reasonably priced, amazing quality, and they have great customer service. I have a diamond tennis bracelet I got for my 30th birthday that is just beautiful.

You might also want to check out www.michaelcfina.com. Another good place.

Happy shopping!!!

-m

pritchettzoo
11-18-2003, 08:15 PM
I worked in a family-owned jewelry store for several years, and I am extremely skeptical of department store jewelry and mall-store jewelry. You are completely correct about their mark-up/sale scam. Even with the sale, you typically will be paying more for less. They sell mass-produced jewelry. Typically the gold (like a San Marco bracelet for example) will be hollow. The stones will have imperfections and are very likely to be treated. Treatments include lasering out imperfections and heating to enhance the color. There is no law that requires these treatments to be revealed to the consumer, so even if you ask, they can lie. Or you'll have a salesperson who genuinely has no idea. Department stores make a great deal of profit from their jewelry departments.

If you're buying a diamond, always get a G.I.A. certificate. There are a couple of other grading companies, but they are not as reputable and there's a greater likelihood the grade can be "bought." Sam's and Costco and even Wal-Mart now sell diamonds with GIA certificates. If you are looking for other stones or metal jewelry, there aren't grading companies to help guide you. That's why you should find a store to trust.

So my advice is to find a reputable independent jewelry store. Or even a larger chain type that has a quality guarantee. Look for one that has been in business for a long time. (If you're near Athens, GA, I can hook you up!) Ask for recommendations from friends. I would rather have a smaller piece of quality jewelry that will last for years that something that looks good and then falls apart. I think if you compare the quality and pricing of the mall jewelry to the quality and pricing of small stores, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)