PDA

View Full Version : Desperately need info on hiccups!

egoldber
11-18-2003, 11:24 PM
OK, so this would be funny if poor DH were not in so much pain!!

Ever since I have known DH, he jas periodically gotten cases of hiccups that last a LONG time. This started in college, where he once had a case that lasted for a week. This has happened on a few occasions, maybe once every couple years since then, but usually only for a day or two.

Two nights ago, he started hiccuping at bedtime. He hiccuped all night then they went away. They came back yesterday morning, then lasted for several hours and stopped around 5 pm. They started again this morning, lasted for about 6 hours. They came back this evening and its been several hours now.

He is SOOO miserable. Anyone have ANY experience, thoughts or suggestions (no old wives tales please, we have tried them ALL!!!!). He's calling the doctor tomorrow.

Thanks!

C99
11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
I have no "real" information and I suspect that you've already tried this, but when I get hiccups (and I have to get them to stop because if I don't, I will become physically ill), I put a wintergreen or peppermint in my mouth and breath in and out through my mouth. That, and calming down, seems to work for me. But the longest I've ever had hiccups was maybe an hour so this won't be terribly helpful.

jojo2324
11-18-2003, 11:55 PM
Oooh, I can sympathize. I don't get them for a week, but I'll usually not have them for MONTHS, and then one day get them about 76 times. They KILL. People always laugh at me "because it's only hiccups." I can barely function when going through a fit.

One thing of the 4 things I remember from my high school bio class is to numb the uvula (the thing that dangles in the back of your throat...you know, all animated whales have them so that people they swallow can grab hold and not get washed down into their stomachs). Take a big swig of COLD water and hold it in the back of the throat for at least 10 seconds. Make sure to breathe, slow, even breaths.

Sometimes this helps me, sometimes not. I think a big part of quelling the hiccups is regulation of breathing; that's why there are so many wives' tales. They rely on concentration on something absurd ("Think of the last time you saw a pure white horse..." or "Drink this while upside down...") to distract you in a way from the difficulty with breathing. Anyhoo, I hope your hubby gets some relief!!! I would love to hear what the doctor offers.

liya
11-19-2003, 12:34 AM
This is really really weird....ut something that helps me with hiccups is something that makes me either sneeze or burp......

Sorry no real info, i get them BAD and i have no clue why the above helps...

luvbeinmama
11-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Okay, you all are going to think I am joking... but it really WORKS!

Tell your DH to drink from a glass upside down! REALLY... like this. You fill a small glass with water (full). You hold the glass in front of you, bend over, and drink from the side that is away from your body. This is totally wierd, and he will feel really silly doing it. My DH thought we were making fun of him when we introduced him to this method. Now he swears by it! :D

HTH!!!

jubilee
11-19-2003, 01:00 AM
I know you said no wives tales, but...
My son Jacob use to get them bad ..hours long.. and a doctor told us to have him eat a tablespoon of peanut butter (yuk!) and sure enough they always go away now.

COElizabeth
11-19-2003, 08:43 AM
I have heard that frequent hiccups can be a sign of acid reflux in babies, and I wonder if it is the same with adults?

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

sweetbasil
11-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Well, Beth, how is he this morning? I'm dying to know what cures the hiccups for your DH!

Rachels
11-19-2003, 09:09 AM
I know someone who had help with them with muscle relaxants (Baclofen, I think) and lidocaine, and later with acupuncture. They definitely can be related to reflux / esophogitis / gatric ulcer. I've read that the herbs Fireweed and Galangal can help, or the homeopathic remedy Magnesium Phosphate.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
11-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Beth,

I wonder if the problem isn't related to G.I. issues but rather a spastic diaphram (the primarily muscle used in respiration). Or perhaps a combination of the two. It's something worth asking his doctor about.

CherylT
11-19-2003, 09:24 AM
I think a hiccup is a muscle spasm in your diaphragm (sp?)? Which is probably why bending over (stretches the muscle) and regulated breathing help, as well as muscle relaxants. I get them occasionally for a couple of hours, but I can't imagine having them as long as your DH - yikes!! Anyway, my cure is a bit of a combo of others - I take a large glass of water, fill my mouth up and then bend over and drink it in very small sips, refilling my mouth as needed until they are gone (usually only takes 2 mouthfuls). This has worked for me every time except once. Good luck!!!

Cheryl
SAHM to Lilli 9/20/00 & Alec 10/21/02

egoldber
11-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Interesting. DH actually does have acid reflux. Somtimes very severely. I'll have him ask the doctor about this.

egoldber
11-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks all! As soon as I posted, they went away a couple hours later (while we were laughing over something on Letterman, how weird is that...) But if they come back today, I'll have him try some of these.

The worst part for him (right now) is that he is in meetings on Capitol Hill all this week with muckety-mucks from the federal government and he is just SO embarrassed!!

alkagift
11-19-2003, 11:30 AM
Oh, Beth, I get them too and they are very hard for me to get rid of--and they come back several times in the same day when I do get them. The only thing that works, occasionally, is relaxing the diaphram and deep breathing (which is why sometimes the drinking upside down and sipping sugar ideas sometimes work). I have to bend fully at the waist, over the side of the bed, focus on something distant, and breathe really slowly. It's sort of like meditation.

It does sound like your poor DH might have something that could be improved with medication. Please let us know what happens!

Allison

mharling
11-19-2003, 11:50 AM
I don't think you're joking because that's the only thing I've found to work for me! Sounds nutty, but it has never failed.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

cinrein
11-19-2003, 04:09 PM
Beth, I hope DH's hiccups are better.

I have to say that I am very glad for this post. I go a long time with no hiccups, then get them several times a day and they are severe. No one else I know does this, so I thought it strange. I agree that they seem to come when my breathing and swallowing get out of sync.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

starrynight
11-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Oh goodness! I have never known someone that had them that bad. But drinking upside down works for me too. I hope the doctor can offer him some help or suggestions.

jennifer13
11-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Oh my gosh, I know you said no wives tales but I just can't help myself and I apologize in advance if you are saying "of COURSE we've tried it," but this worked for me and it's the only thing that ever has: a lemon doused in bitters- it's something bars use to mix drinks.
Your poor DH- what an awful thing to go through!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

jojo2324
11-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Ooh, I've heard/used this one too! I can't remember if it worked though...

pritchettzoo
11-19-2003, 06:12 PM
That must be pure torture for him. I hope they don't come back, but I'm laughing thinking about the Capitol Hill muckety-mucks. Make sure he doesn't drink anything out of a paper bag at the meetings! :D

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

sntm
11-20-2003, 09:06 AM
beth,
just fyi, for hospitalized patients with bad hiccups, they frequently are given thorazine. i don't know if they ever do it for outpatients and i also don't know if there is much evidence for it but that is one of the indications. he could ask his doctor.

also biofeedback can work in relaxing the diaphragm -- i get hiccups constantly and i can get rid of them by concentrating on slow rhythmic breathing and relaxation

anything that irritates the diaphragm can cause hiccups so overeating, reflux, liver or spleen disorders, etc.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03