PDA

View Full Version : long hair to short hair: advice and your stories!!!

etwahl
11-19-2003, 05:43 PM
i have always had long hair. i had it medium length a couple times but always ended up growing it out long again shortly after cutting it. my dilemma is i have wavy hair (not a nice wavy - an icky kink). so i have to blow dry it straight every time i wash it or it just gets nasty! really nasty! the problem is it takes a long time. my hair is in between thick and thin, but i have a ton of it. and lately i put it in a ponytail every day because lauren likes to grab hair.

i'm a bit worried about cutting it short or medium length again, because i'm not sure that i really like short hair on me, and also because i worry since i have kinky (again, ugly kinky, not nice!) hair, that it will be just as much work blow drying it when it's shorter and maybe even harder?

i was curious what others thought? did you cut your hair when becoming a mom? did you regret it? how do you know if you're going to hate it? as i said, i've never really been thrilled with my hair shorter...but if i could find a style i knew would look good, suit me really well (still look cute), and be easier, i think i might go for it. ack! i guess i just hate the texture of my hair and hoping for answers. ps: if you want to see what i look like if you have suggestions for me, just check my web site and look under "my parents".

thanks for insight! would love to hear others Hair stories also!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

JacksMommy
11-19-2003, 05:55 PM
I think the main thing is to find a stylist that you like and trust and ask them what they think. I can't tell what your hair is really like from the pictures because it looks smooth and straight in all of them! But it seems to me you could look really cute with a short flippy bob. My hair has been short for a while now - I always had it long before and then my stylist convinced me to cut it and I've never grown it out since. I think it can be a great move to get something fun and fresh as a new mom - we still need to feel cute and sexy!

Good luck!

Laurel
Mama to Jack, 6/4/02

aliceinwonderland
11-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, my hair is similar to yours, as you describe it(icky wavy), but I REFUSE to blow-dry it every morning. I think it really dries it out, and it takes too long, etc. etc. I have also always had it long or rather long.

I finally found a hair stylist i LOVE (and trust me, I tried many, including some really expensive ones i can't really afford), and he cut my hair in such a way (long, irregular layers, i believe they're called), that I let it dry after washing and deep conditioning it (a must, otherwise it gets frizzy), that my hair looks really nice even air blown, for the most part. I still do not think it's the perfect, finished look (which i would get with blow drying it , I'm sure), but I do get lots of compliments on it, and it looks good enough for me, anyway. Oh, I also put little drops of something (finishing lotion I think it's called?? by Frederik Fekkai, to preven friziness when air-drying).

etwahl
11-19-2003, 06:36 PM
i hear what you're saying on a good stylist. i had the BEST one in san diego. i mean she was the best i've ever been to, and was exceptionally popular. i came here, and had one good appt, but the girl moved to tahoe. then i had this other girl and she was terrible. over-highlighted my hair and cut it horribly. that was last friday. so i think that also prompted me to want to change my hair. yes, it looks smooth and straight in all pics because i used to blow dry every day. now i don't. actually what i do lately is put a shower cap on in the shower most days and only wash it every 3 days or so...that's when i blow dry it. but it's still a pain and i still put it in a pony. sigh...hair! maybe i'll check out some hair mags, and take it to this other stylist who a friend recently recommended. maybe better luck there. laurel, do you have a before and after picture?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

brigmaman
11-19-2003, 06:37 PM
I am almost crying trying to recall why I cut my hair as short as it is now. I wore it pretty long through high school and college and cut it to shoulder length after I got married. About a month ago I went to a hairstylist I've used before at a local salon where haircuts are $50 minimum (my mom treated me and I was so excited to be doing something for myself). I brought along a picture of Meg Ryan...ok so I know what you're thinking... I set myself up for disaster. Well anyway, the cut was about chin length so nothing too drastic. The stylist got a bit carried away (I guess) and now my hair is mega-short. About up to my ears!
The biggest problem is that it is a cut that needs to be styled, and I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
I guess the point is to go a little at a time. If you want to cut your hair shorter take it only a little at a time, speak up for yourself if the cut isn't turning out the way you want it, and go to someone who knows your hair. :)

MartiesMom2B
11-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Tammy:

I don't have much time now, but I'll tell you my long to short hair transistions. There is a great hairdresser in Raleigh (if you want to travel that far). Her name is Robin Davis and she participates in hair shows and she is a trainer for one of the salon brands. She so nice and great and will look at you and give you a suggestion for a hair style. I know a lot of people who go to her and they look fantastic after going to her. If you'd like her number e-mail me and I'll pass it along.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

nigele
11-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Sonia,

I would love her number - I need a new stylist!

cchavez
11-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Do you have a picture of your hair cut??? My hair very thick and it has some wave and I also refuse to blow dry it. I am wondering if your cut would work for me???

Also were do you get the Frederick Fekkai stuff....I really need something to smooth my hair out. TIA!!!

lizajane
11-19-2003, 07:33 PM
my hair is wavy/frizzy. i am about to cut it all off for locks of love (as stated in a previous post.) i have found that my hair looks best VERY long or VERY short. i can't do just above the shoulder. yuck on me! so i am about to go to super short again.

i think you would look cute with a bob. and bobs are easy to blow out because there isn't so much hair to dry! it takes a lot less time and less product! plus, it might curl up a bit more when shorter and lighter, instead of frizzing.

i like tigi products from the salon- ego boost and girl toys. both work really well for keeping flyaways down. from the drugstore, frizzease shine serum.

can't wait to see your before and after pics!

here is a pic of my hair in a pretty natural state so you will know what i am talking about. when i cut it short short, i will post a before and after. (yes, amusing pic- it was the best example i could find... i look a little concerned, as can be expected, when you wake up with no power in your house at 6 months pregnant and your yard looks like that!)

egoldber
11-19-2003, 08:38 PM
Definitely find a good stylist. It is ALL about the stylist. And find one who LISTENS to you! Be frank with them and say, I have a baby and NO TIME to syle my hair, help me! :) A good stylist will work with that and should be able to advise you on the bets type cut for your hair.

I did cut mine pretty short after Sarah was born and its been getting shorter and shorter, LOL! But I have always been fairly daring with my hair. In my opinion, its only hair and it grows back. I love short hair. I think that short hair brings its own special attitude and is just fun, fun, fun!!

muskiesusan
11-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Lauren,

I have similar hair, and like you, always straightened it with the blow dryer. I can't do that now because it takes too long, and Nicholas it scared to death of the hairdryer (after two years you think he would be used to it and the vacuum!). I have had it short, but that makes it kinkier since it doesn't have the length to weigh down the waves, and I think for me anyway, it requires more care in terms of styling (can't put it up in a ponytail in a pinch). So, I have been in this dilemma for awhile. Keep us posted on what you decide!

Susan
WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

McQ
11-19-2003, 09:20 PM
I can not wear my hair short so I feel for you. I have lots of hair but it's thin and I'm a complete mo when it comes to styling. So for me a couple inches below the shoulder is best. When I look back at pictures above the shoulder I'm reminded of why I keep it long. And I hear you on the ponytails.

If you have trouble blowing it out what about letting it go all curly and scrunching it up.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

jd11365
11-19-2003, 09:37 PM
I find long hair to be easier to manage than short. With my fun and funky short hair...which I LOVED...it was so easy, but I still had to put some gel in it and blow dry it. Even though it took me only 5 minutes to do, that's 5 minutes I don't have anymore. Now with my one-length hair, I can just brush and go...though it is very straight which is different than yours. Sorry if that was less help than more...but just another perspective.

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

MamaKath
11-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Tammy, I can understand the frustration. Your hair always looks lovely in your photos- a well polished appearance, but it sounds like it takes quite a long time. You certainly can't change the texture of your hair, though a good beautician can work wonders. And if you cut it and hate it, it does grow back, although that inself can be a time consuming and painful process if you know what I mean. I do think I could see you with a bob that has a bit of a filp out at the bottom. Somewhere between Paige Davis of Trading Spaces and Sally Field in Gidget. ;-)

Well, I have done long, short and just about everything in between. When it is medium to long I find I don't do much but pull it back. I get frustrated because it just never looks great, and trying to make it look great at a longer length takes time (usually 30 or more minutes).

When it is short, I have to do it. It takes about 5 minutes, but I still have to do it. In some ways this does help me feel better about myself, as I am devoting time to myself each day (don't get that much, lol). Short hair has more financial upkeep since it has to be cut more frequently (usually 4-6 weeks). We are tight on funds these days so I am growing it out, although I got a great haircut when I had a visit up to mom's recently. To look good, I have to dry it, but I can put a hair band in if needed. If you color your hair, short hair often has to be done more frequently since the roots seem more visible.

Long or short I really can't get away with not washing it daily- that is a guarentee it will be a bad hair day with my fine but tons of hair. ;-) Right now it is in between and I hate it. But mine is a different texture than yours, so take my experience with that in mind. I do think that I liked my hair best short though. It was 5 minutes daily to look good, but I took the time to do it. With it medium to long it takes much longer and if I don't do it (which is most of the time) it looks pretty bad. :-(

My suggestion is to ask folks you know (or meet, before I cut it real short last year I asked everyone who had a cut I like about their's [time to do, stylist, tools, etc] and of course what they didn't) about their hair and stylist. Also invest in decent tools- a round brush in an appropriate size, hair care products, etc. And give it a bit of time to adjust. I usually have to go for a few months with a drasticly new cut in order to adjust to it.

HTH and best of luck with your decision~

dogmom
11-20-2003, 08:43 AM
I have to say all the haircuts I've loved in my life have been short. Having said that my hair is long now because every time I even *think* about cutting it my DH whines so much it just isn't worth it. I have very fine hair that breaks easily, so it is very different from yours. I actually think one that reason it breaks so easily is I am always wearing in up or in a ponytail. I actually went into a hairdresser once two years ago and just said "cut it off." She was all, "Oh it's such a big decision, you can't just cut it off." I kept insisting I've had short hair, I know what I was doing and, by the way, aren't I the one paying you? She actually refused to cut it short. That is when I realized the stars are aligned against me and I am doomed to have hair I hate for the rest of my life with no more fun hair cuts. :(

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

sntm
11-20-2003, 08:58 AM
this is very timely! i was actually planning on posting to ask for suggestions for a haircut.

my hair is very fine and is straight but with a tendency to flip out (but never in a cute way! it's too thin to look deleberate). have no time or patience for the blowdryer. i have been growing it out but now feel like i want to cut it short again but can't find any short cuts i like. it seems like super short cuts that would be easy to work with look best on women with thinner faces and delicate features (i'm a round/oval face with big lips, wide nose, and no cheekbones!)

any suggestions? will be poring through my mom's people magazines over t-day.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

emmiem
11-20-2003, 09:06 AM
Have you investigated that Japanese straightening method. It is costly, time intensive in the salon but your hair is straight for months!
Emmie

aliceinwonderland
11-20-2003, 09:37 AM
Hmm, no picture now, as I don't have a digital camera and my hair is about ready for another cut (prenatal pills have it growing wildly)...I'll have a digital camera by Christmas, if you're still interested by then...
I get the Fekkai stuff at Neiman Marcus, but I'm sure there's other places where it's available. I'll get the excat name of it, and post it tomorrow.