PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone rented a portable DVD player?

loewymartin
11-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Well, we've decided to drive (ugh!) to my IL's for Christmas. We live in upstate NY and they live near Charleston, SC. I've talked Ken into staying over night in Richmond (gotta love hotel points!) each way, but was wondering if anyone had rented a portable DVD player for long car trips? We're borrowing my parents minivan (more space than the Saab) and were trying to think of things to do for the 8 hour drive each day.

If anyone has rented one of these, can you tell me from where, and what your experience was? Thanks!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

egoldber
11-20-2003, 01:05 PM
Have you considered just buying one? They are relatively inexpensive now, you can find them for less than $200, which may equal the cost of renting one. I know I have seen them in all the sale papers even at places like Target and WalMart. You can also check places like Circuit City and Best Buy for ones that are made for cars. They will install securely and she can watch it while you drive. I'm telling you, its the ONLY way to drice cross country with a toddler!

But I found this site thaty does rentals.

http://www.portabledvdstore.com/

HTH,

loewymartin
11-20-2003, 01:29 PM
I didn't realize the portable DVD players were at $200-$300 now! The last time I looked they were around $700. I think the next car will have a built in one, so we were looking to rent or borrow, but for this price it really does equal renting one. Thanks for the info...I've been perusing Circuit City :-)
Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

egoldber
11-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Well, you CAN spend a lot more than $200. But for a toddler to watch while driving, that's obviously not necessary. One thing to think about is how to access the DVDs while driving. If no one is going to be riding in back, try to find one that the passenger can easily access from the front seat to either re-start or change a DVD.

HTH,

miki
11-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Perhaps this is not exactly ethical but when you have a store with a good return policy like Costco or Target, you could buy one and return it after your trip.