PDA

View Full Version : Just blatantly begged...

deborah_r
11-20-2003, 02:16 PM
the woman down the hall to babysit for me. I know she doesn't work and she always seems so happy to see Kai, and I just found out she used to be a licensed daycare provider when her son was much much younger (jackpot!) but I hope it wasn't too forward of me. I figure if she's thinking that she wouldn't mind doing it but doesn't want to freak me out by asking, and I'm afraid to ask, we could miss an opportunity. DH thinks I shouldn't ask (she's the 2nd person I've asked in the building, but I know both of them fairly well. Like, we haven't done lunch, but we exchange pleasantries and know eachother's name. I would borrow a cup of sugar from them in a pinch))

It's kind of my last-ditch effort before I just say the heck with it and stop working!!!

So honest opinions please, was that a taboo to ask her?

EDITED to add: and I didn't really beg, it just sounded funnier that way!

sntm
11-20-2003, 02:20 PM
i dont think so. i'm not brave enough (didn't we have a blushing smilie?) but we hinted around when our next-door neighbor quit her teaching job to be home with her baby, who was a few months older. she let it drop that she was going to continue doing freelance lesson planning or something but did offer to do occasional babysitting.

i say good for you for asking! she can always say no and if she does, she may at least know somebody else.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

amp
11-20-2003, 02:23 PM
I would think that it's completely acceptable to approach her about it, but I would be very careful about making her feel as if you *really need* her help. I've had a couple of people mention to me, knowing that I stay home with my son, if I would be interested in watching another child or two. I was relieved that they said they completely understood if I wasn't interested. I am the kind of person who feels guilty, especially if I knew I was their last option and they really needed me, but I have my hands full being a new mom, so what a relief to be *able* to say no without feeling badly.

Hope it works out for you! Good luck!

deborah_r
11-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Update:

Is it normal that now that I think I *might* have someone to babysit, I have a sudden urge to quit my job? This has happened before, when I thought there was a spot available at daycare...

I don't know what to do. DH thinks I should quit because he really wants to find a new job and needs me to help him with search and resume stuff. I keep thinking I want to work at least part-time (which I am right now, at night, but it is not working out because DS is fussy most evenings and DH is already worn out from work and it is hard for him to care for him at night) but then whenever I think I'm close to getting a day care situation, I suddenly don't want it.

I feel like we would be happier if I was home to keep the house clean and cook and DH could relax more because his job is driving him absolutely crazy!!!

houseof3boys
11-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Is it normal? Of course silly girl. When I got pregnant, I was ready to quit my job!! :)

I think that you should do a pros/cons list with all those points and whatever else you come up with and you and DH look at it together and see if it is in the realm of immediate possibility. Sounds like you have some fab reasons to do so though!!!

And cleaning and cooking? I never seem to have the time for cleaning even though I am a SAHM. Cooking yes, cleaning no! Hmmmm maybe that means something.

deborah_r
11-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I'm worried I'll be "cleaning, yes, cooking, no" because I really do not enjoy cooking. but that is where we could save some money (except for those nights when I screw up so badly that we throw it away and order Thai!)

amp
11-20-2003, 04:43 PM
I am crazily happy to be home with my son, so I think it's normal to want to do that (even if you still choose to go to work in the end). But as happy as I am to be home, I still can't find time to clean and I don't always cook (although I do so more now that I have some menu planning going on - thanks to Amy - Daisymommy ;-) ) It's a lot of work being a SAHM, and then when Jake takes a nap, I end up here! Geez, you gals are always keeping me from cleaning and cooking! ;-)

bluej
11-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Clean? Cook? What are those? B/w the kids, these boards and the laundry who has time for other stuff?

I think it's normal to want to work outside the home one day, be a SAHM the next day, work from home the day after that. We always wonder 'what if' and just basically want to try everything out.

houseof3boys
11-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Oh yeah, the laundry. I forgot about that one too. I have clothes in the dryer just sitting because I refuse to fold laundry one more time! It'll wait until tomorrow or when I am in the mood to do it. :P

I blame the boards too for my messy house!!!

bluej
11-20-2003, 08:41 PM
If I didn't have kids who have to wear clean clothes to school everyday I would probably be pretty lax on the laundry. However, one is in private school and I stupidly only bought three pairs of uniform pants. Yeah, like a five-year-old can keep pants clean enough to wear them again the next day. Stupid stupid me! Plus, ever since I watched The Newlyweds and saw the state of Jessica Simpson's laundry room, I have vowed to never let mine get that way! It's my own personal goal each day! Now if I could just schedule in another goal each day we might see some progress around here.