PDA

View Full Version : Double Post from Feeding Forum (b/c I'm starting to freak out)

Marisa6826
11-20-2003, 03:47 PM

I don't know whether Sophie might be getting dehydrated because she has a cold or she's just wetting fewer dipes because I've been feeding more solids.

Does anybody have some insight here? She normally needs a dry dipe every 2-1/2 hours but over the past several days, they're hardly wet after even 4-5 hours.

Should I just try some Pedialyte or do I need to involve her Ped??

HELP!

-m

Sarah1
11-20-2003, 04:07 PM
It's probably one of those two things, but I would call the ped's office, just for reassurance. At my doc's office, I can usually call and ask a nurse a question right away, and if it's something she/he can't answer then the doc calls me back (which unfortunately takes a while).

momma_boo
11-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Definitely call the Ped's office to ask. That's what they are there for!

I know when DD was a newborn and I was worried about her not eating and being dehydrated, the doctor I spoke to suggested I feel inside her mouth. He said it should be fairly moist and to look at her lips. I know when she was really young and slept through a feeding, she would wake up and her lips would be slightly shriveled looking. I'm not sure if the wet mouth and lips thing applies only to newborns, though.

Also, I think the quality of the wet diaper is important as well. Does it seem like the urine is more yellow meaning its more concentrated? Sorry about the TMI, but when I drink a lot of water, it's almost a clear/very light yellow, but if I haven't had enough water, it gets darker.

sntm
11-20-2003, 04:31 PM
marisa, definitely call your ped. some signs to look for (may or may not be present)

is the urine clear and almost colorless?
is the inside of her mouth moist?
if she cries, does she have tears?
are her armpits slightly moist?
if you _gently_ pinch her skin, does it flatten out immediately or does it stay slightly tented or flatten slowly?

if any of those are no, i would call sooner and see if you can get her seen. talk to them anyway to be on the safe side and to reassure yourself.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Marisa6826
11-20-2003, 05:10 PM
Shannon-

The thing that got me wondering is that her urine smells more than usual (sorry if that's TMI). Sophie *did* scarf down 7oz of formula this afternoon, but she's been incredibly yucky for the past several days.

I looked on askdrsears.com and according to their list of "suspicions", she's mildly dehydrated.

I felt in her mouth and it was wet, but I know that her eyes are dryer than normal because she's been rubbing them. In fact, she just rubbed one of her STITCHES out a half hour ago. Called the PO and they said it was OK since she could still move her eye. She does have tears, and her nose is running. She's just tired looking and pale. She's also been a little sweaty.

Unfortunately the ped's office makes you leave a message for the nurse before they will call you back. And they won't call you back AT ALL if it's after 4pm (which it is).

I will have Jonathan pick up some Pedialyte on his way home so that we have it on hand. Hopefully she will like it. She's not been taking the diluted apple juice I've been trying.

-m

sntm
11-21-2003, 12:28 PM
She probably was concentrating her urine more than usual (or maybe has a urinary tract infection, but that seems less likely).

Hope the Pedialyte went down okay. How is she doing today? Did you hear from your ped? I can't believe they don't call people back after 4! Don't they have anyone on call? That is what they are supposed to be on call for.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

Marisa6826
11-21-2003, 06:46 PM
I had Jonathan buy it, but we didn't give it to her. She slugged down some formula instead. She woke up at 2am again and took 6 oz.. She usually sleeps through the night, but the past several nights she's been getting up at exactly 2am. UGH. I bought a whole bunch of baby apple juice today at the store so that we always have it on hand.

She seems better today, but looks really worn out.

If she doesn't LOOK better by Monday I will bring her in.

The deal with the Ped is that the nurses won't call back after 4pm. If you call after then, you have to wait for an on-call to return your message. I hate it. One of the many reasons I'm looking forward to a new Ped once we move.

Thanks so much for checking in on us.

-m