PDA

View Full Version : How to stop family from spoiling child?

mommd
11-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone,

It's amazing this is an issue already since my baby isn't even born yet! But, she is going to be the first grandchild as well as the ONLY child in the family (we have a very small family and we are the first ones to have a baby). All the relatives are already saying how much they are going to buy, how many toys she will get for Christmas, etc. I don't want her to be spoiled! How do I ask them to limit their gifts? One thought I had was that if it was excessive I would just give excess toys to charity, but how do I do that without hurting feelings?? Thanks!

farsk
11-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Hello!

Congratulations! My stock answer when people ask me what Ellen wants for Christmas is to say, "savings bonds". I've been amazed so far that they have replied, "what a great idea!"

It's worth a try!

Good Luck!

egoldber
11-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Here's another thought. If they want to buy her stuff, let them!! It will save you money! BUT!!! Make a list of what you want and include items that are appropriate for older ages too. Babies need very few toys, but older infant and toddlers need more toys and the toys tend to be more expensive. Also, make a list of the library you'd like to have and let them buy you lots of books!

HTH,