PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the cross-post--My son is a hitter!

MelissaTC
11-21-2003, 04:15 PM
I posted this over at the toddler's lounge as well...

My name is Melissa and my son is a hitter. It is driving me nuts. If anyone comes near him at the playground, he hits them. If they want to climb up the stairs and go down the slide, he hits them. If they walk next to him, he hit them. Also, these "hits" are being accompanied with a loud shrill. UGH!

Matthew is the shortest child out of all the kiddies in playgroup, school and friends. There are a few more aggressive kids that tend to bully him around a bit and he has showed them that he doesn't like it. I have no problem with my son defending himself. I guess I am more worried about the hitting of the "innocent". He hit this one boy today at the playground who happen to be standing next to him. I tell him "No hitting" when he does hit. I also say things like "we don't hit our friends" or "we don't hurt our friends" and try to re-direct him far away from the other child. Today, I whisked him off to a bench where I talked to him for a bit.

One of the Moms in playgroup said "You call that hitting?". Um. Yes. If he takes his little hand and hits someone, um, doesn't that constitute hitting?

HELP...please :)