PDA

View Full Version : Photo Background Question

August Mom
11-22-2003, 03:29 PM
BIL and SIL have asked me to take my brand new nephew's Christmas card photo. It's a big honor, although a little stressful too. SIL thinks she wants a black background. I've never used a black background and generally get better results with lighter backgrounds I think. I'm concerned that the baby won't stand out on a black background, but I'm willing to give it a try. He does have dark hair. Any tips? Or, should I just tell her to stay away from black? He will either wear a red or green outfit. Also, any cute posing/prop suggestions for a 3 week old's Christmas pics? TIA

Rachels
11-22-2003, 06:54 PM
I'd definitely steer clear of dark backgrounds. There are some great tips for photographing newborns at www.naptimecards.com. HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

deborah_r
11-22-2003, 09:54 PM
A cute pose for that age IMO is sleeping (or sleepy - not too hard to get with a 3 week old!) while laying on tummy, close up of head and upper torso. You have to be careful with the lighting on a black background.

We found out there is a reason why portrait photographers are expensive - if you want to do it yourself, you need special lights if you want it to be professional. We had trouble with the black background the first time, then we got another light and we shot B+W instead of color and had better luck.

Not to discourage you, but DH and I are weary of doing things like this for family/friends (he gets asked because he IS a photographer) because people usually have a vision in their mind of what they want and if it doesn't work out that way it can become very awkward. If you are paying a stranger to perform a service, you are much freer to complain or criticize, KWIM?

Just my humble little opinion, please don't let me discourage you if you are comfortable doing it!

starrynight
11-22-2003, 09:57 PM
I think if he was to wear white it would be fine against a blue or darker background. But since you mentioned it will be either red or green a lighter off white or something else pale would work better. JMO :)

MommytoDylan
11-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Here is an example of our last year's picture (we smoothed out the background for our card though)!

SeekerMage
11-24-2003, 12:51 AM
I would definitly go with a light background...if he is in red or green it will stand out better, especially with the dark hair.

As for posing...there are sooo many cute things that you can do. One thing that you should have is a bouncy seat that you can cover with a big blanket or sheet,,,will help prop him up and give him a good seat.

Different things that you could try, sitting under the christmas tree with presents all around......placing him in a present under the tree, even a big box with the bouncy seat in it but disquised with tissue paper and ribbons (he is small enough that its not like he is going to eat it!

Sleeping is always a good one, you can place him among wrapping paper and ribbons while alseep as if he was wrapping presents....stick him in a big Christmas stocking laying on a plain bachground, you can always stick some candy canes or other things coming out of it too hehehe.....even a big bag like santas sac of toys~

If you have a fireplace, sitting in front of the fireplace decorated with stockings and other christmas decorations is a nice one.

Even just a plain white background with him sleeping, or sitting proped up....with or without any decorations. You can add stuffed christmas toys like a snowman etc....a few presents propped up next to him etc. Heck you could even sit him in a seat and prop stuffed toys all around him so all you see is his little face...hehehe where is baby!

There is so much you can go id you have the patience. Especially if he is a good sleeper then you can just do things around him. I did a lot of these poses with the little one I nannied for and they all turned out really cute! Just depends upon how cute and how much time you want to spend....good luck~