PDA

View Full Version : Small T-Day cooking??

new_mommy25
11-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Jeanne, maybe you can help me since you obviously love to cook :)
I have the opposite problem that Paula does. DH and I don't have any family nearby so every Thanksgiving all of our friends w/o family would come over and we'd have a party. I always cooked a big turkey with the works:stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, green beans and more! I'd also make a few pies and homemade rolls. This year since we have a young baby we decided not to host anything and just have a quiet day with just the three of us. I am at a loss of what to do because I have no idea on how to cook for only 2 adults. I don't want to make a whole turkey because I don't want a lot of leftovers. I also realize that I don't need nearly as many sides or desserts. In Hawaii my mom used to occasionaly cook Turkey hindquarters, but I have never seen them here in Seattle. Maybe I need to ask the butcher directly? I'm considereing maybe a roast chicken or cornish game hen, but darn it, I just love turkey so much. I've been thinking about just going to the market and buying a cooked T-day dinner but that just seems so boring to me. Cooking is half of what makes Thanksgiving fun imo. Anyone have suggestions on how to cook a small dinner? Plus as I type this post I am beginning to realize that it will be a lot harder to cook and care for the baby. And he can only sit in the swing for so long :)
TIA

emmiem
11-22-2003, 06:08 PM
We always have a small Thanksgiving. I have a 2 year old, 13 year old, and a DD who is always on call that day(so who knows if he will eat). I make a small Turkey about 12 pounds. You can freeze leftovers. I make the stuffing the night before and reheat it later that next day. I make one vegetable. This year it is green beans provencal which is better at room temp. Translate that to mean make it during nap time! I make some sort of sweet potato thing and pecan pie. Pie you can several days ahead. My 2 year old will eat none of that. Well, maybe some green beans. My 13 yo will eat some and DD will eat when he can. The leftovers are worth it. I do freeze stuffing too.
Emmie

Rachels
11-22-2003, 06:57 PM
You could do just a turkey breast ot turkey cutlets (see the link in Paula's thread). :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02