PDA

View Full Version : I think she hates me...

jmofarrill
11-23-2003, 11:10 AM
Anwyn has another cold. She had the sniffles for two or three weeks, then was better for about 4 days, and now it's back even worse than before. She has a cough, watery eyes, runny nose, and congestion. Of course, none of the infant meds have antihistamines (sp?), which would help her greatly. Her poor little nose is all red and she won't let me near it, but I have to because I need to wipe it every 5 seconds. I gave her some medicine a few minutes ago, and she kept pushing me away and giving me hurt, dirty looks. It's getting to the point that when she sees me, she wails and pitches a fit. I had to put her in her crib and leave her in there for a few minutes to regain my sanity.

Well, here's a good thing - yesterday, John had gone out to run some errands, and I heard my in-laws pull up to our house. I was thinking, WTF? They hadn't called or anything. I was in boxer shorts, a tank-top, and had my hair still wrapped up in a towel from my shower. MIL said she called and left a message (the phone rang while I was in the shower, but no message was left). I was really irritated, especially since they said they just wanted to see Anwyn for a few minutes and ended up staying for about 1.5 hours. But I decided that it wasn't worth it; Anwyn really enjoyed their company. So I got over it. It was really nice just to let go of the irritation and anger and enjoy myself. John was happy that I did, too. It seemed that my irritation was upsetting him, and I never realized it before. Of course, it only makes sense, but when you're steeped within yourself, you don't always see how it affects the others around you. Now that I'm more aware, I hope I'll behave better in the future.

Anwyn is crying more, so I'll see if she'll let Mommy wipe her nose and comfort her. *sigh*

Rachels
11-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Oh, so sorry! That really sucks! She does NOT hate you, though. Have you checked www.askdrsears.com? Click on medicine chest, and you can probably find antihitamine dosages for her age & weight. We've gotten through several colds with help from that website! Also, try a steam vaporizer and either a vaporub cream or eucalyptus in her bath. Those might give her some relief. Calendula cream or Aquaphor will help her sore nose. Hope she feels better soon!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Marisa6826
11-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Michelle-

I've had really good luck with Pediacare - both the nasal congestion and the nasal congestion with cough one. I give Sophie one dropperful (.08ml) every 4-6 hours and it does wonders. She weighs about 17 lbs, BTW.

As far as Anwyn goes, bring her to the sink, run your hand under water and wipe her nose with just your wet hand (no rag or tissue). I know it's slimy, but it hurts them so much less.

The things we do as Mommies!!!

I hope your munchkin feels better.

-m

newbelly2002
11-23-2003, 02:41 PM
She doesn't hate you, she's upset and she has no way to express it. Believe me, anyone weilding a kleenex will get her hackles up right now. I am so sorry though, it's no fun. Dante has been in the same boat. He's been on either the coming or going end of a cold since late September. The poor tyke would hightail it in the other direction as soon as he saw me coming with a tissue (be thankful Anwyn can't run yet!). What really seemed to help the chapped (his was bad enough that it started bleeding) was the Burt's Bees skin cream. Dante didn't mind the smell and it healed things up really quickly. Good luck, here's to some less congested nights and days ahead.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

SeekerMage
11-24-2003, 12:34 AM
Awww....I know how yucky it is to have a cold, the poor thing. I know those meds never seem to work half the time. One thing that does work though she will hate it is saline nose drops....squirt a good dose up her nose until it bubbles out....yucky I know and she might cry but it will clear it up pretty quick. Angela had a terrible cough and nose yuck and we took her to the emergency room ( this was just before we got custody of her) and the doc there said that was all she needed...its cleared her up within the weekend! He said you could do it every hour if need be.....as hard as it is, it was a big releif and helped clear up the gunk....hope that helps....though it might add to the I hate mommy feeling...sorry!
Sending healthy thoughts your way!

jmofarrill
11-24-2003, 09:58 AM
Thank you everyone for your help; things are a bit better today.

Rachel - Thanks for reminding me of Dr. Sears' site. I used to reference it all the time when Anwyn was a newborn; I don't know why I didn't think of it. I found something I could give Anwyn that REALLY helped.

Marisa - The PediaCare did help Anwyn, thanks. Oh, and I don't think the finger-as-tissue is gross at all. You're right, she fought me a lot less when I do it that way. Many things that may have grossed me out before I had a baby just don't affect me anymore! LOL It's nice not to have my baby scream at me when I touch her...

Paula - I found some of the Burt's Bees Skin Cream that was stowed away somewhere in Anwyn's room, and it DID help. Thank you!

Kathryn - Thank you for the saline recommendation. My g-mom used to do this; I would go hide when she mentioned it. LOL I got the Ayr drops (my ped recommended this brand), and I'm amazed at how well it thinned out the mucos. I guess g-mom knew what she was doing - LOL.

Again, thank you for all the recommendations. We are both doing much better today after a long rest and lots of sleep. She's nursing a lot, and I know that's helping her, too. I stayed home today b/c I now have her cold, but I'm glad that I am home with her so that she at least gets MY comfort today while she's still ill. And now she'll be getting my antibodies when she nurses! LOL It's funny that one of the first things I think of when I get sick is "Well, at least Anwyn will be getting my antibodies, so whatever I get, she'll get a much milder version." It's amazing what motherhood does to us!