PDA

View Full Version : OT: What do you set your thermostat to during day and night?

rorycam
11-24-2003, 11:37 AM
For some crazy reason I always forget from winter to winter what we set it on, and DH and I have been having our annual disagreement about what it should be on to be at the perfect compromise between comfortable temp for us and keeping the gas bill reasonable. We have a programmable thermostat, and I've set it to be at 68 degrees from 6 am to midnight, then 63 from midnight to 6 am, but am just curious as to what others do as I cannot decide if I'm on the high or low side, esp at night. DH likes to crank up the heat, then have a fan on the highest speed blowing right on him all night long, which drives me crazy. We've set the fan to a perfect angle so it does not bother me, but I don't like the gas bill to go sky high for the next few months, and I don't even know if it is actually cheaper to turn the temp up and down like that, or better to just leave it at the same temp all the time.

Just curious as to what others do!

Rory

momma_boo
11-24-2003, 12:13 PM
We usually have it at 69 for the daytime (5 am to 11 pm) and then at 67 for the nighttime. We used to have it lower at night, but it was too cold when I was sitting in DD's room in the middle of the night nursing her (I usually wear tank tops to sleep).

elvisfan
11-24-2003, 12:25 PM
We are military and live on post...and we can turn our heat off/on as we choose as we don't pay out of pocket for it. We have it on 65 right now:) I like being toasty........

sntm
11-24-2003, 12:47 PM
man, i'm really off the curve!

we have it officially set at 71 during the day and 69 at night but i am constantly bumping it up. i _swear_ it doesn't feel like 70 in the house! Jack's room gets down to 67 at night and I always worry he is chilly. must just be me!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

mik8
11-24-2003, 01:08 PM
It really boils down to individual/family preference. What may be too cold for you may be the reverse for others. Also, a lot of factors and variables involved with regards to keeping the heat of the house at bay. One is insulation. Second, age and efficiency of the furnace, not to mention the cost of gas associated in running an old furnace. If your main issue has to do with a newborn or baby being chilly or comfy, SIDS alliance and other references recommend keeping the baby's room between 68-72 degrees. Hope this helps.

egoldber
11-24-2003, 02:05 PM
LOL! I keep mine at 71 or even 72 all day long. :)

lisams
11-24-2003, 02:23 PM
We keep ours at 69 degrees when the heater is on. If the AC is on, we keep the temp. at 78 degrees.

Lisa

hez
11-24-2003, 07:29 PM
We're at 68 at night, 71-72 during the day in the winter. Of course, I adjust that if needed. Since it's always a few degrees warmer upstairs, I may set it warmer if I'm spending more time downstairs-- I'm always cold compared to DH. In the summer it's a struggle. I hate paying high electric bills, so I try to keep it at 74 during the day, 70 at night, but DH complains that he's roasting!

houseof3boys
11-24-2003, 08:47 PM
We keep ours at 71 degrees year round. It gets colder in Ryan's room but with the humidifier on it seems fine and almost equals out to the rest of the house. I never touch the programmable settings but I guess it makes sense....now I have to find the instruction manual if I want to use it. I think the lowest I would set it at would be 68 at night since I am up a few times to nurse Ryan and I like to dress lightly when I sleep.

ddmarsh
11-24-2003, 10:21 PM
We have two furnaces, one for upstairs and one down, so I usually turn the downstairs way back at night and leave the upstairs at about 70. The only drawback is that it is dreadfully cold when we come down in the morning!

AngelaS
11-25-2003, 06:57 AM
You're going to think I'm an eskimo...

Our is programmable, so first thing in the morning, it heats the house to 68. But, then it goes down to 62 during the day. It's still set from when I worked. So, I have to remember to turn it up to 66 or 67.

At night, it drops to 62. Adrienne is a warm body so she sleeps in jammies and has two quilts on her bed and she's happy. The baby is a wiggle butt, so she sleeps in lightweight jammies covered by a blanket sleeper and a couple lightweight blankets and she stays toasty too. :D

llcoddington
11-25-2003, 05:32 PM
I turn it up, husband turns it down. I turn it up, husband turns it down! This is an ongoing battle that started 5 years ago and I can't see ever changing! We too sleep with a fan blasting on us (for the noise mostly). Oh, well, it's probably a good thing we are in an apartment. Can't imagine what our gas bill might be in a big house!

mamahill
11-25-2003, 07:44 PM
68 during the day, 60 at night - if we even leave it on. Ainsleigh has a space heater in her room set to 65 at night. She wears light pajamas with a blanket sleeper. DH and I have a down comforter.