PDA

View Full Version : NOOOOOOOO!!!! She's got an ear infection! And we fly out tomorrow!

peanut4us
11-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I just knew it. GRRRR. She started feeling bad a few weeks ago and I had DH take her to the DR then because I wanted to nip it in the bud. She didn't have an ear infection, so they gave her some cough syrup, and that was all.

Well she hadn't been getting any better nor any worse until this weekend when she started running a fever on and off again. DH took her to the DR this morning, and lo and behold, ear infection. Damn. We supposed to fly out tomorrow. Dr gave her some antibiotics, some ear drops that are supposed to help her not hurt on the flight and said we could give her benadryl if she needs to sleep and won't/can't.

I feel so bad for her, and I feel so frustrated. Grr. I guess this should have been in the Bitching Pst. Soory.

Rachels
11-24-2003, 02:47 PM
Oh, bummer! So sorry, Joey. When Abby has had ear stuff when we've needed to fly, a little Pediacare given in the airport has made quite a difference. It can be given along with Benadryl if need be. Our ped endorsed this plan of action, and the Sears website says the same thing. You might also keep her head elevated and a vaporizer running tonight so she's as cleared out as possible before morning.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

pritchettzoo
11-24-2003, 03:42 PM
That stinks! Poor little muffin and poor you! I hope she gets to feeling better. Good luck on your flight and with your in laws.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

bluej
11-24-2003, 03:55 PM
That stinks! Poor baby. Along w/ the medications, bring along a hot water bottle and a soft towel. Have the attendents fill it w/ warm/hot water, wrap the towel around it and have Sara lay on it (lay the infected side on it) or hold it up to her ear for her. It does wonders for the pain. I hope you have a good trip and will pray that the flight goes smoothly for you!

jd11365
11-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Poor baby! Hopefully she will sleep most of the way...Kayla has flown 3 times and has usually slept the whole way. Give her the medicine suggested for sure! Lots of hugs to you both!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Tondi G
11-24-2003, 06:18 PM
BE SO SO careful with her ears! I had mine burst on an airplane as a child!!!! My ENT as I got a bit older would recommmend a spray of Afrin nasal spray before take off and landing if the plane ride was longer than 5 hours! I know Afrin is NOT ok for babies but you might consider buying some saline nasal spray/drops ... the idea behind it is it helps to shrink the passages and helps with the pressure change!!!! Good Luck... we buy the little noses brand of saline spray but I'm sure the pharmacist can recommend a non medicated one if they don't carry the little remedies brand!!! I suppose the Benadryl or dimatapp would do the trick as well!!!! I would give her a nice dose of tylenol or motrin at least 20 minutes before take off as well!!!!

Good Luck... have a safe trip!!!

~Tondi and Mason (7/8/01)

llcoddington
11-25-2003, 05:36 PM
I don't know if they make infant Sudafed, but my doctor has me take a children's sudafed before flying because I have holes in both eardrums from tubes that never healed correctly. I have lots of ear problems and the sudafed does the trick when flying- keeps the pressure down and makes it less painful.

McQ
11-25-2003, 08:09 PM
Poor little pumpkin. Hope you can give her something to make her feel better. That just stinks!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03