PDA

View Full Version : His naps are horrible....can someone help....please!!!

cchavez
11-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Diego will be 7 months on Friday and for the past few weeks his naps have been bad but are now worse. Since last Monday most of his naps only last 30 minutes. Occassionally his morning nap will last close to 1.5 hours. He had started staying up a little longer (almost 2.5 hours) b/w naps which I thought was normal since his is getting older but now that he is napping for less time he can only go about 2 hours. He still naps 3 x's a day. He is not too fusssy but overall but you can tell he is tired. Right now my inlaws are visiting so I know he is excited about all the attention but last week was a normal week and his naps were horrible.

Oh, it is very difficult to get him down for the naps too. I did let him CIO a little bit last week but he still took short naps. Sometimes if I am lucky I can rush into his room when he wakes up after 30 minutes and he will fall asleep in my arms. But if I put him down in his crib he is up after a few minutes. Today for his 2nd nap he slept for 30 min in his crib and then 1 hour in my arms.

Night time sleep is still decent.For the longest time he was only getting up 1 x a nite to feed. Last Sunday he did wake up almost every 2 hours but then the next nite we let him cry after he woke up 2 hours into his nite time sleep. For the next 3 nites he slept all through the nite until around 6 am. Now he is back to waking us up 1 x a nite to feed. But overall his sleep does not seem has restful b/c he is having more nite wakings than usual but he goes back to sleep on his own w/o us feeding him or tening to him. Although, i am afraid that the poor naps will be begin to take a toll on his nite time sleep. Btw, he goes to bed around 7 pm

Oh, and we think he might be teething again.

iknow I could add more detail////but I think this is enough for now.

can anyone help me????

jd11365
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
No answers, but just wanted to commiserate... Kayla has just started this anti-nap thing this week. It's driving me crazy! She will be 7 months on 12/1 so they are right there with each other...hope you get some good advice that I can use too!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

cchavez
11-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, he went down for his nap this am after being up 1.5 hours....let's see how long he stays asleep.

bluej
11-25-2003, 11:10 AM
I've noticed that Ryden's best naps are when he happens to fall asleep in the stroller when we take Caden to the bus stop. I don't know if it's the cool air or the being totally bundled up (or a combination), but w/o fail if he falls asleep before we get home, he sleeps for a good 2 - 2 1/2 hours (I leave him in the stroller and loosen the bunting). If he's tired but not asleep yet, his nap is still good, but not nearly as good. And on weekends when we don't take that walk, well the naps are only about 45 minutes :( My suggestion would be to take a short 15- 20 minute walk right before his afternoon nap time if that's possible and see if that helps any.

cinrein
11-25-2003, 01:07 PM
We go through this periodically. It's the exact same thing--she sleeps for 30 minutes and wakes up screaming. If I get myself in there fast, I can get her to sleep another hour but I pretty much have to hold her. This has been going on off and on for a couple months now. It stops as mysteriously as it started and Anna goes back to her stellar 1.5 hour naps.

My completely uneducated opinion is that it's something developmental. When I've held her to try and get her to sleep more, I notice that she doesn't fall into a deep sleep like she normally does. My private theory is that there is just too much going on in her head and she can't quiet her "brain" enough to allow a nice nap. That's my story and I'm sticking with it--in other words: I haven't found anything that works. :)

BTW-she does sleep better in the carseat when we're in the 30-minute nap phase. Maybe the sound of the car lulls her into a deeper sleep?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Momof3Labs
11-25-2003, 03:07 PM
He could be trying to transition to two naps a day. This sounds similar to what we went through when Colin transitioned from two to one nap a day.