PDA

View Full Version : What did you think the first time you watched Baby Einstein?

pritchettzoo
11-24-2003, 10:44 PM
We just put in Baby Mozart, and to quote DH: "Geez. This makes Mr. Rogers look like the Matrix." Someone videotaped toys? DD is entranced, but she IS DH's daughter, so it's no real surprise that the talking picture box is a hit. Am I missing something? It's neat and all, but...so far the floating candles are the weirdest...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

mommyj
11-25-2003, 12:08 AM
I have to agree. I got the whole set before DS was born, and we've watched two videos maybe two times. My dog enjoys them, but they're torture for me to watch. But, maybe it's also because I prefer to play with DS all day :)

suribear
11-25-2003, 12:15 AM
The babies love them LOL It's definitely not meant for adults!

Kris

JustMare
11-25-2003, 12:27 AM
I have the DVD set and just had to pop in Mozart to see what it was all about. I have to say, DH and I were speechless when we saw it. It looked so ridiculous the candles and all. I had to keep saying "It's for babies, It's for babies, It's for babies" ! :)

Marisa6826
11-25-2003, 12:46 AM
We refer to them as the "stoner" DVDs in this house.

I've personally never indulged, but I could see being completely entranced by them.

Hey - it lets me get a shower. And for that I am grateful :P

-m

lisams
11-25-2003, 12:46 AM
I was a little shocked when I first saw one - it seemed so simple, something I could make using DD's toys around the house. But, she does love them!!

Lisa

deborah_r
11-25-2003, 01:33 AM
When I'm tired I find myself drawn to it. I just go to check on DS and I end up watching it with him and almost falling asleep. This is mostly the Baby Mozart one I'm refering to. For some reason I find the section where they pull the dog and the bunny and whatever the 3rd animal is across the screen diagonally...there's 3, then there's 2, then there's 1, then there's 3 - the way it goes with the music I just find it very funny.

Guess it doesn't take much to entertain me!

s7714
11-25-2003, 02:10 AM
DH's comment was "We could have made this...all it is is toys and music." DD didn't seem to interested the first couple times I turned it on, but now she cranes her neck to see the t.v. as soon as she hears the music.

The really strange thing we discovered a couple months ago, is that the Baby Mozart video works as a "natural laxative" for DD. If she's fussy with gas or constipated, we park her in front of the video, and no joke, 99% of the time she's cleared her system by the time the thing is over! Maybe it's just the calming effect of all those floating candles...LOL :+

We just bought the DVD set as a Christmas present for DD and I'm curious to see if she likes the other ones too.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

himom
11-25-2003, 04:36 AM
DH and I made fun of them the first time we saw them too. Then we caught sight of DS, who was completely entranced. To this day I can park him in his playpen, turn on either Beethoven or Mozart, and get 15 minutes of free time to shower, brush my teeth, whatever. When I come back he'll be leaning on the edge of the playpen watching or sitting bouncing in time to the music.

Whatever they're doing, it works! Except for some reason he hates the Bach and just tolerates the Santa. ??

I'm thinking about either Neptune or Galileo for Christmas. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003

sugarsnappea
11-25-2003, 07:28 AM
LOL! Someone gave us Baby mozart and I think JG watched it 5 or so times in her life. Frankly, I find it pretty weird too. I wish I had the chutzpah to film myself making crazy noises playing w/my daughters toys and market it as a learning video. I guess I am just jealous... :)

sntm
11-25-2003, 08:32 AM
love galileo -- dh and i would watch it without jack! great photography.
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

starrynight
11-25-2003, 09:12 AM
I thought I was the only one that thought this! LOL I have one that isn't the baby einstein brand but is pretty close, pretty much music playing in the backround and toys flashed allover the screen. But everyone I know says their kid loves these videos. I guess it's meant for them not us.

peanut4us
11-25-2003, 11:16 AM
We just watched the Baby Neptune one this morning... and Sara was really into it. I also liked it better because it shows water and sea creatures, etc... not just toys.

miki
11-25-2003, 01:11 PM
Low budget--that's what I thought. But the person who came up with it is a genius. People all over buying this stuff for babies.

I thought it was silly even though my baby sems to be entranced. Even though she's too little for toys, I bought a bunch after seeing the Baby Mozart so I could parade the toys before her eyes. Somehow it makes me feel better than plopping her in front of th t.v. when I don't need the time to do anything.

Jen in Chicago
11-25-2003, 02:11 PM
DS loves them! The thing that frustrates me is it is such a simple concept, WHY DID I NOT THINK OF IT? I give the creator so much credit b/c the babies love the DVD's.

We have the whole set that was available last Christmas. Jude has only watched Mozart and Bach a total of 5 or 6 times. We use the DVD player as our CD player. If one of the DVD's starts and he hears that music in the beginning he will stop what he is doing and look at the TV. It has been a good 3-4 weeks since we popped one in to watch.

I may pop the Santa one in soon. Maybe it will make him not scared of the big guy in red.

jennifer13
11-25-2003, 02:33 PM
LOL -- Stoner DVD- that is a perfect description! Er, not that I would know...

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

jmofarrill
11-25-2003, 03:17 PM
I love these dvds. We have three right now, and I have asked for more for Christmas. They entrance Anwyn, and I enjoy watching them with her. The short scenes are perfect for her attention span, and she sometimes tries to talk to the toys. I don’t understand all the criticism towards the videos? Is it just the Mozart one? I don’t have this dvd, so maybe that’s why I’m confused.

McQ
11-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Deborah ~ we should hang out! I don't remember which one it is but the one with the translucent balls that roll down the slide then ride up the steps. Gets me every time.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

egoldber
11-25-2003, 09:11 PM
I agree. The videos are perfect for babies. DD enjoys them all, but I really enjoy watching the ones for older babies and toddlers, especially the animal ones. And DD likes them, so who am I to complain about 25 free minutes? :)

Of course, not all kids will like them, just as not all kids like all toys. And my DD didn't really begin to enjoy them until she was closer to 6 or 7 months.

Has anyone seen the new "Numbers Nursery" one? DD loves counting these days and I'm thinking she might really enjoy it.

liya
11-25-2003, 09:16 PM
i have the whole set and Ari HATES them...He screams everytime i put them on..He loves Barney though *crap* i would rather deal with Baby Einstein than Barney...LOL

barbarhow
11-25-2003, 10:34 PM
When my friend told me about them I rolled my eyes. Yeah right-your 8 week old "loves a video" Till I had an 8 week old and needed to take a shower. He loved baby mozart and still does. Amazing. His favorite part is when the little green puppet ( i think its a dinosaur) comes out and says "blaaah". My little ds totally lols!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

C99
11-25-2003, 10:41 PM
The first time I saw Baby Mozart, I couldn't believe it. I think my reaction was something like, "Omigod, I'm going to be so bored!" because I had put it in for a friends' kids while I was still pregnant. But they were mesmerized by the screen, so I knew that it would be a hit even if I thought it was dreck.

pritchettzoo
11-25-2003, 11:06 PM
Oh gosh, I didn't mean to sound so critical! I was just expecting something different. Maybe something more? I don't know. With a title like Baby Einstein, I guess I wasn't expecting floating candles! It's so simple, which may be the ultimate brilliance. Also, I have only seen the Mozart one--I think this was the first, so maybe it was raw genius before Disney scooped it up and threw big bucks in their production budget? DD loved it and watched the screen for 20 minutes, which is way longer than most anything else has held her attention. I think they will be fabulous for something like cooking dinner!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

mharling
11-25-2003, 11:58 PM
He he. My ds loves "blaaah" too!! It even makes me smirk. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!