PDA

View Full Version : Anybody told having a girl and then have a boy???

llcoddington
11-25-2003, 07:33 PM
I had an ultrasound at 19 weeks and was told I was definitely having a girl (3 little lines supposedly made it definite). Yesterday, my husband and I went to Home Depot and on the way out, a man said, "Having a boy?" I said, "No, a girl." He said, "Yep, my wife was having a girl, up until the day our son was born! And, she bought everything pink she saw!"

Now, at 38 weeks, I am getting a little worried! Today, a friend gave me a pink blanket and my first thought was, "What if this turns out to be a boy!!!???" A boy would be perfectly fine with us, but we would be a little unprepared. I've tried to only purchase neutral things, but everything I have been given is lacy and pink!

Just curious if this has happened to anyone!

Lana

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-25-2003, 08:13 PM
I think we all wonder up until delivery if they were right :)...
With that said one of my best friends Angie was told her first was a girl and she had a boy. It was about 7 years ago and I think she was told at the end of her pregnancy. She was crushed at first but now has two boys and a hubby who is not able to have more, and she is totally fine with it :)...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

deborah_r
11-25-2003, 08:48 PM
If I had a dollar for every person that told me the "ultrasound told us or someone we know the wrong sex" story...I'd have a lot of dollars. I think it's along the same lines as telling pregnant women birth horror stories. I'm sure it does happen, but there is not really anything you can do about it. I was worried too, but looking back it wouldn't have been that big of a deal...someone would have had to go out and buy some different outfits for the baby real quick, and there would have been some returning to do, but it would have been OK.

But, since you are expecting a girl, I hope that's what you get!!

elvisfan
11-25-2003, 09:06 PM
I was told I was going to have a boy during my first pg..all the way up until the 28th week. Then I had a scan for medical reasons-and found out our dd was on the way. Had I not had that scan......I would have been surprised:)

nathansmom
11-25-2003, 09:54 PM
ME. I was told I was having a girl. A mix up with the amino said I was having a girl. Christmas eve the doctor told me my girl was giving me an early present and pointed out the testicles.
I hope you get your little girl.

momathome
11-25-2003, 10:30 PM
I saw on Baby Story a few weeks ago that a couple was expecting twin baby boys and then when they were born, they were actually twin baby girls! They had already done the nursery in a boy theme and the mom had made beautiful baby blankets in blue, not to mention all of the matching boy outfits they had received as gifts - yikes!!! I, too, heard from everyone that I told I was having a girl not to be surprised if the ultrasound was wrong. I became very paranoid and made sure to choose a neutral nursery and neutral newborn clothes. Any girl outfits that I had I left the tags on until we brought her home from the hospital. I guess anything can happen but the odds are in your favor that the ultrasound is pretty accurate. Good luck!
-Lauren

starrynight
11-25-2003, 11:54 PM
I have heard a few stories also. But they were always right with my 3 kids. Just keep the tags on anything truly girly until she makes her apperance, that's what I did with the girls. Alex was so obviously a boy I didn't worry about it lol.

lisams
11-26-2003, 12:30 AM
It depends on the quality of the machine they used, the position of the baby, age of baby, and the experience of the U/S tech. My U/S tech was able to label the clitoris and labia (sorry, TMI!) and she said she had a beautiful angle to see for sure. She showed us the 3 lines also. Of course she said that for liability reasons she couldn't say 100%, but she did say 99% :) I would keep tags on things you can, but it sounds like your tech was pretty sure she saw girl parts. I think it is very normal to have those doubts!

Lisa

new_mommy25
11-26-2003, 12:39 AM
A good friend at work were told they were having a boy up until the very end. As the baby was sliding out the Doc said "Here's your little boy...oh wait, it's a girl!! Anyway, she is eleven now so I'm sure the equipment has improved a lot since then.

llcoddington
11-26-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the posts! Hopefully the u/s tech was right and we will have a little girl soon. If not, we will love a little boy! I think my MIL would be more surprised than us- she has gone wild with the pink stuff. This will be her first granddaughter. Of course, she also called yesterday to say she bought the baby a Christmas outfit- in premie size. I'm not really sure why! Maybe it will fit and maybe it won't.

Lana

mom2kandj
11-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Our U/S tech has not been wrong in TEN years. That being said, if she isn't sure, she won't say. She just works harder to get a better look or she's honest and says, "I really can't get a good view." FWIW, we didn't find out with DD and we did with DS. I also agree with post that talks about the quality of the U/S equipment and the experience of your tech! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

Calmegja2
11-26-2003, 12:05 PM
They were correct 5 times, even the last two, which were done at 15 and 16 weeks, respectively.....I think it has a lot to do with the doctor doing the scan, and the equipment, as well.....

khakismom
11-26-2003, 02:15 PM
This has happened to alot of people I know, but it happened to my cousin this past April. She had been told a girl, definitely a girl. Because her first was a boy, she hung her hat on this and bought everything pink and girly. The baby's name is Brian! :)

I have heard that this happens occasionally with girls turning out to be boys, but not too often the other way around. I mean it's easier for US techs/docs to identify boy sex organs on a screen. We were told girl for both USes but always had the thought in the back of our head that it could turn out to be a boy. But they were right both times! :)

Good luck!

Melanie
11-26-2003, 04:46 PM
A friend's friend was told girl and then it was a boy - TWICE. Late "bloomers" I guess. LOL.

llcoddington
11-26-2003, 10:09 PM
Well, I went to the doctor today and they did another ultrasound and said baby still looks like a girl! They pointed out the three lines again and didn't see any boy parts. So, we shall see!

Lana

jojo2324
11-29-2003, 02:16 PM
LOL, yesterday I started to wonder if this might be a boy...I went a leeeettle kee-razy at the Gymboree Whale of a Sale, and mentioned to a friend, "Just watch what pops out now that I've gone overboard..."

And, thing is, I've been SO GOOD about not buying stuff for her. Dang it Gymboree!

And then, last night, I had a dream it was a boy. Only I wasn't aware of the birth, as I was getting into a huge fight with the manager of our local CVS, and she was the woman who played the mom on Home Improvement...Somehow the fight overshadowed the event, but it was more like I woke up and he had been born...Go figure!! :)

KathyO
11-29-2003, 04:05 PM
This did happen to a good friend of mine (I know, people say that about most urban legends, but we're talking about my school roomie here). The US tech said "girl for sure", and then she had a boy! Her father's comment (I've told this story here before, but I can't resist another go) was the best: "It's the stealth penis - it doesn't show up on radar!"

Good luck! Whatever you get, it will work out fine!

KathyO