PDA

View Full Version : (LONG) Update on my Dad's Competition. . . AKA

MartiesMom2B
11-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Martie has been kissed by one of People's Sexiest Men Alive 2002. LOL.

My dad didn't win the cooking competition to work in Rocco Dispirito's restaurant at the Culinary Institute of America. To be honest, he didn't really want to win, but he gave it his all. The episode that my dad will be in will be aired in March and it's the third episode of The Restaurant. Dad said that it was hard to cook because of the cameras. For example, he was trying to cut onions and the camera lens was on the cutting board, the camera crew asked them to repeat a lot of things, and my Dad thought he had 45 minutes left and Rocco told him he had 15 minutes to plate his dish - Dad rushed and made some mistakes. He said that you'll probably see his chicken go up on flames.

Fast forward to the evening of the competiton we went to the American Bounty restaurant for dinner where my Dad was a waiter. Rocco was touring the restaurants and he stopped to talk my dad. My dad introduced us to him and he saw Martie and he picked her up from my arms and said she was a beautiful boy. We corrected him on her gender (he thought she was a boy b/c of her name). We took our picture and then he kissed Martie and handed her back to me. The next day at graduation he waved at us from the stage. Oh my dad won an award too for having the best culinary skills out of his class. After graduation we went to buy an apple pie and we ran into a big group. I walked by Rocco's Mama and I stopped to tell her that she had a nice son. She saw Martie and said how beautiful she was (in Italian) and pulled her hat off. Rocco turned around and saw Martie and picked her up again. I asked for another picture with him because I accidently exposed my film (DH still didn't get it with the digital camera though). I told him that we would go to his restaurant and then I noticed that a camera lens was pointed at us, and DH said there was a microphone above us too. So I might be on tv too looking like a big dork, but I'm hoping that they'll cut our footage out.

We had lots of fun and if you are in Hyde Park, NY I definitely suggest that you eat at one of the restaurants at the Culinary Institute of America. It was delicious and a good deal too considering the service and quality of food.

I hope everyone had a good turkey day!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

pritchettzoo
11-28-2003, 11:21 PM
How exciting! You'll have to post when it will be aired.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

jojo2324
11-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Martie is one lucky gal!!!

Sorry your dad didn't win the cooking competition, but what an exciting experience!! Your description reminds me of that show Iron Chef on the Food Network, where two chefs have the same ingredients and a certain amount of time to make a meal however they want. There's always some guy yelling out the time and a big gong going off.

Please let us know when the show airs, I really hope they don't cut your footage!! :D

McQ
11-29-2003, 10:15 AM
So sorry your father didn't win but still sounds like it was a neat experience. I'd love to see how things really work behind the scenes. It'll be fun to (hopefully) see you all on tv.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

KMommie
11-29-2003, 12:22 PM
How fun! I can't wait to see the show! The competition does sound like Iron Chef--- I can just imagine the cameras intruding on your dad and his cooking, how hard it must have been to try and cook under the clock, with the cameras right in your face and telling you to redo certain steps!

I'm glad you all had so much fun!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

houseof3boys
11-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Cool beans! Lucky Martie with the smooch from Rocco.

I can't wait to see it. Good for your dad for winning the best culinary skills in his class.

That is awesome Sonia.

mharling
11-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Glad you had a fun time!! Is Martie basking in her fame???? :)

Definitely let us know when you dad's episode will air.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

MartiesMom2B
11-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Oh yes, she's definitely a prima donna now. LOL.

I got my pictures back from the trip and the one of Martie, Rocco, and me did come out! I'm going to try to set up my scanner tonight and scan it and try to attach it.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03