PDA

View Full Version : Non-age-appropriate gifts...

deborah_r
11-30-2003, 02:24 AM
What do you do when close family members like to give your child gifts that aren't for the right age? For example, I know DS is getting a Leap Pad for Christmas. He's 6 months old. I saw something that said 4 years and up on it! I didn't really realize what it was when the family member mentioned it or I might have said something to discourage it.

And then the Hokey-Pokey Elmo...18 months and up. He's getting that to. Does anyone know if there's anything that can actually harm him on the Elmo?

I'm not mad about it and I am totally grateful for any gifts DS gets, I'm just worried about awkward situations that could arise.

elvisfan
11-30-2003, 03:19 AM
Frankly, all you can really do is say thank you and move on. It fails, I know :(

toomanystrollers
11-30-2003, 06:58 AM
Lets see, DD at age 3 received a inline scooter when those were all the rage. It's still in its box at the back of the closet. I'm sure Elmo will be just fine. It's the toys designed for over the age of 3 that you need to be careful - choking hazards. As for leap pad, take it back to your local walmart (unless it's a gift from nearby, likely to drop in relatives) :)

HTH

sntm
11-30-2003, 11:18 AM
a lot of the older toys can be used with supervision at a younger age. or just keep it for him until he is old enough to use it. or return it and exchange for something he could really need. or (if you get it before X-mas) give it to a toy drive.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

brubeck
11-30-2003, 02:07 PM
I've gotten lots of stuff like that before. I hold onto it and give it to the child when it is age appropriate or re-gift. The Leap Pad you might actually want to return though since technology chabges so fast it might be vastly improved in 3.5 years when you would actually consider giving it to him.

Momof3Labs
11-30-2003, 04:02 PM
I'd keep Elmo (if the toy itself doesn't bother you) - he'll probably be quite entertained by it now, even if he won't play with it by himself for another year.

And I agree about returning the Leap Pad. Ask for a receipt if you have to, but TRU is also good about unopened returns without a receipt.

phirey
11-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Maybe they're planning on giving the new Little Touch Leap Pad. You could hint that that's more appropriate...

DDowning
11-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Deborah - I have the HP Elmo - for now, it sits on a shelf and keeps DS entertained while I change a diaper or two. He laughs when Elmo shakes. There's no moveable parts that are swallowable as far as I can tell. He might gum some of the hands or feet but the only reason I think of 18 month and up designation, is that a younger child might want to shake it like a rattle than watching it dance.