PDA

View Full Version : Just got jury duty notice

MartiesMom2B
11-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Yep, there it was in the mail when I got home. Jury duty notice. I'm wondering how, I'm going to do it when dd doesn't take a bottle, and I have no child care. I don't know if I can find someone to watch dd on the $12.00/day compensation that I get. Has anyone else run into this? What have you done?

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

ethansmom
11-30-2003, 07:42 PM
I haven't run into this, but did just read something about it...wish I could remember exactly what was said!

I think it was about a new law being introduced to address women in exactly your situation. It would basically give a mother an out to jury duty, provided the children were young enough.

I'd suggest you contact LLL and see what they say. I think the article said BF couldn't get you out of jury duty, but I bet LLL would know for sure, and have alternative ways out of it.

Good luck!

emilyf
11-30-2003, 07:44 PM
I got it a few months ago, and sent a letter saying that I was nursing an infant and would be unable to leave my baby. I got a letter back saying that I was excused. Some states have laws about this, but I would think any reasonable jurisdiction wouldn't have a problem excusing you.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

hjdong
11-30-2003, 07:45 PM
I think it depends where you live. We used to be able to get excused based on caring for a child under two. But no more. I also just got a jury duty notice - for Christmas week! I'm hoping not to be called due to the holiday (not many trials to be filled?). If you have enough time, I would write a letter to the courthouse - or maybe better, go to the area where jurors need to wait with your baby and explain the situation. Good Luck.

flagger
11-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Here are a couple of links I found. They look like it covers Cumberland county, but I think the law applies statewide to NC.

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/district12/JURY/JURORPOLICY.html

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/district12/JURY/Requestexcusedeferred.html

I care for small children in the home.

You may be rescheduled one time to a more convenient time of the year when arrangements can be made for your children. Check #1 on the back of your summons and indicate that time of year. Complete the form and return the summons.

http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/district12/JURY/juryform.html#back

There is a PDF pamphlet that indicates that no excuse is automatic, but the judge has the ability to waive jury duty on an individual basis based on the request.

NEVE and TRISTAN
11-30-2003, 07:56 PM
I'm so joking with this statement...
Just go in there all opinionated and say that you think everyone is guilty and they'll let you off :)...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Rachels
11-30-2003, 08:09 PM
Do call LLL. You can also ask on MDC-- there have been several posts there from nursing moms who've been called, and a few people seem to really know the ropes. Most nursing mothers have been excused without incident. LLL should know more specifics.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Denyse
11-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Sonia,

Are you breastfeeding? If you are, I'm pretty sure there are several ways to get out of jury duty.

Here's a link to a LLL blurb on Jury duty. http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/LawJury.html

Also, I think you can do one, or all of the following:
*Write to the judge or courthouse or somewhere and explain that you are a nursing mother and your child will not take bottles.
*Get a letter from your ped to include saying why you are unable to perform jury duty services. (Basically saying your child will be unable to eat if you do jury duty)
*Get a letter from the ped or your OB explaining the risks to your health if you do jd. (Mastitis, infection, etc.)
*If all else fails, show up on the first day with your dc and let them know in no uncertain terms you have no childcare. They'll dismiss you for sure. I'm sure others will have helpful advice.

jd11365
11-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Gee, my form has automatic exemptions for you to check off if you apply to one... Ours has caring for a young child under the age of 7...if you are over age 70...etc. I just checked off the caring for a child under the age of 7 box and I was automatically exempt. I would call the courthouse to see what they say because there ARE exemptions. As a matter of fact, I called a few years ago because my jury duty was scheduled for the first day of school (I'm a teacher) and that would be just crazy...so they exempted me for that year. Again, I would definitely give them a call and see what they say before you start researching and contacting places...the answer might be right there! :)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

flagger
11-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Since you just got home, just call the courthouse when you get a chance. Forget all this business about calling the LLL since they are NOT a legal/law making authority. No reason to get all worked up and make much ado about nothing when it might be you will be excused by just talking to the court clerk. :)

When we lived in Texas, it used to be if you were caring for dependent children up to age 10 whether they were in school or not since you cannot exactly leave jury duty to go pick up your child from school. If I remember correctly, 10 was the age a child could legally be left alone. Of course the law might have changed.

Then again, you could always just be convicted of a felony and you would never have to serve. ;)

Rachels
11-30-2003, 09:34 PM
The suggestion to call LLL was just because they're well-acquainted with the local laws and concerns that apply to nursing mothers. It was a suggestion for a good information source, not a riot.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

MartiesMom2B
11-30-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm planning on writing a letter asking for deferral on my jury duty date for a year. Conveniently there is no number for the court on my notice or on the county website.

I will call my LLL leader though and ask her if anyone has been in similar situation and what was done.

Our notice doesn't have anything on there for excuses. It just says that you can write you a letter and also to call them the night before you are supposed to go out to see if you still need to go.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

deborah_r
12-01-2003, 12:01 AM
I had to do jury duty here in LA County last year (no baby then of course) and they were totally strict and were hardly letting anyone out of jury duty. They had just started this new 10 days or one trial thing to shorten everyone's duty and also to try to get more people to do it so you would get called less often. I don't think the judge in my courtroom was letting people off for not having childcare. He let a pregnant woman who was having complications off. I would imagine if you are nursing you should be able to get out of it though.

stillplayswithbarbies
12-01-2003, 01:25 AM
LLL will be able to put you in touch with others who have been in the same situation. Any information you can get about how others have fared will be an advantage to you.

Flagger, using the phrase "all this business" made your post sound dismissive and divisive rather than tactful.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

flagger
12-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Who on earth ever said I had an ounce of tact? ;)

I am merely of the opinion that calling LLL would be premature. Since they may know the laws, BUT do not make them, it makes sense to contact the court first about rescheduling/excuse from serving. It is not like she has been not excused in the first place, so why waste time contacting any other group but the court itself.

It would make sense if she was not excused and still breastfeeding, but she just got the summons. So yes to me calling LLL would be possibly much ado about nothing especially if she ends up getting excused by just writing a letter and explaining her situation.

Calmegja2
12-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Our local jury duty (county) excused me for being a primary caregiver for our children with no problem.

I'm still waiting to hear if the federal court will do the same. I called the federal court clerk, and she was less than helpful on this issue. I got a summons two weeks ago, and I replied, but there was no out for anything pertaining to my situation (4 small kids, husband with his own company, no childcare).

I wrote on the comments section, anyways, about our situation, so we'll see. If I am not excused, I fully intend to show up with the baby in a sling, and explain that it's a package deal.

Zansu
12-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Sonia

When I was called for jury duty, my summons (which had to be returned to the court) had a space to indicate a reason why I could not serve.

I indicated that I was BFing, and would be happy to appear for jury duty with nursing child in tow. Needless to say, my jury duty was rescheduled. I also called the Jury Commissioner's office to make sure everything was done in accordance with court rules.

When my rescheduled appearance date arrived, I verified beforehand that the Jury Commissioner would provide an appropriate location for me to pump.

I suggest you contact your county's Jury Commissioner (I'm assuming you were called for county court) and discuss it with someone there. Believe me, the Commissioner's office personnel have heard EVERYTHING. You don't need to mention the childcare issue: just say that you are breastfeeding.

HTH

stillplayswithbarbies
12-01-2003, 04:05 PM
this is where it would be helpful to get in touch with groups who can put you in touch with others who have been through this. In some places, showing up with a baby can get you charged with contempt of court.

La Leche League website is a good resource for what the laws are in your state, as well as a place to find out what has happened to others in your situation. The mothering.com boards are another place to search and see what has happened to others.

edited to add links:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/LawJury.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/summary.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills6.html

here you can look up the law in your state:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Law/summary.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nohomama
12-01-2003, 04:49 PM
I'd try finding out from the court what jury duty in your area involves. I was called and actually served this past Spring. Lola was still nursing at the time but she was much older than Martie and getting most of her calories from solids at that point. Anyway, in Northampton, MA (and MA as a whole) your called for a single day. If you're not chosen to serve on a jury (we were told that generally trials lasted between 1-5 days) that day you're excused but receive credit for having served, exempting you from being summoned again for another 3 years.

In my case I was actually chosen to sit on a jury. After only about a half an hour of testimony the judge called a recess. Then, after about 15 of being sequestered in the jury room the judge came in to tell us that since the prosecutor had done such a dismal job of establishing a case against the defendant, he was forced to dismiss the case. I was finished with jury duty by 11:30 a.m.