PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nielsen Diary for TV Ratings

twins r fun
11-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows much about how the Nielsen diary system works. I was under the impression that it was fairly rare to get sent the diary. I just got a card in the mail saying we're getting sent the materials next week. But we did it last year-maybe not even a full year ago. I actually don't know anyone else who has ever been sent one and think it's kind of weird that we're doing it twice. Maybe once you're on their list, they just keep sending it to you, but I thought it was more random than that. Anyone know?

JElaineB
11-30-2003, 09:59 PM
I don't know how rare it is but I have done it twice also. Once was a few years ago - I think I even lived in a different state then, definitely a different address. I just did another one this past May. I think its fun to do, though hard to admit how much the TV is on when I'm not even watching (I guess better than actually watching it the entire time it is on!)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

egoldber
11-30-2003, 10:23 PM
When I was a teenager, my family was a Nielsen family. We got diaries periodically for a couple years. I think they try to have "old" and "new" families all the time.

jd11365
11-30-2003, 11:12 PM
How cool! I've always wanted to be a Nielsen family!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

McQ
12-01-2003, 10:13 AM
Just consider yourself lucky. I've always wanted to be a Nielsen family too! It would be so neat. And I'd love to support those little shows that great (ie Gilmore Girls) that don't pull in huge numbers. In fact DH looked into this awhile back and he was like, sorry no volunteers, they need to ask you. I'd be all over this. Enjoy!!!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

gour0
12-01-2003, 10:30 AM
I love that show! DH laughs at me because all of my shows are on the WB. Gilmore Girls, Everwood and 7th Heaven. He calls them Teeny bopper shows.

brigmaman
12-01-2003, 10:47 AM
We were also a Nielsen family about 15 years ago. My family consisted of 5 children between the ages of about 3 and 13, so I can imagine the whole thing was a bit biased towards saturday morning cartoons for us. I bet the Nielsen people never realized people could watch so much 3-2-1 Contact and Land of the Lost! I remember having fun with it, though I am pretty sure we watched more tv than ever that week so that we could have lots to write down! LOL, I don't really understand how we could possibly have been a good representation of the typical American family! Maybe that's why we have never been sent a diary again! :)

amp
12-01-2003, 10:59 AM
We were just a Nielsen family last week for the first time ever! It was very exciting and I would *love* to do it again, so it would be great if they sent us diaries again sometime!