PDA

View Full Version : OT: Definitive answer on digital pics longevity?

ddmarsh
12-01-2003, 03:09 PM
I am still using both digital and film cameras but would like to move completely to the digital. I have read repeatedly, however, that the digital images will not last as long as film images will. Recently someone who is a photographer also mentioned the same thing. Does anyone have any really good information on this?

Any info appreciated!

stillplayswithbarbies
12-01-2003, 03:35 PM
If the digital image is developed like a regular film picture, then it is just the same. If the digital image is printed on a printer, then it will not last as long.

I get mine done at Costco and they told me it is the same as if it was developed from a negative.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

ddmarsh
12-01-2003, 04:12 PM
Really? I've been told that there is a difference in the papers and also that there is something about the stabilization of the images themselves that result in the variation.

Thanks for the feedback!

amp
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
I have also heard the same, but what helped me to decide is that technology is always changing. If we back our digital pics up onto a picture CD, we can always change the picture medium to the most current technology later. Similar to how you can move your old home movies to VHS and you VHS & 8mm tapes to Video CD or DVD. KWIM?

And...if you have the pics saved on the computer or on disc, you could always reprint them at a later date, many eons down the road if needed.

egoldber
12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
I have always heard this as well. When you get a digital picture printed at a photo place, its just like getting a film picture printed. But those printed at home will not last as long.

That is a generality and there are exceptions to both (there are truly crappy photo labs and there are suberb multi-$1000 home printers with suitably expensive paper and inks to match), but these are basic truths.

HTH,

kristine_elen
12-01-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't have any definitive info but have also heard that digital prints don't last as long. I recently had a should-I-go-digital? quandry and decided against it because of the storage issue. Say I have all my images on CDs, then CDs go the way of 8-tracks or Beta. Sure, you can transfer it all to the new technology, but can you imagine the hassle and the cost? We decided we might get a digital just for everyday shots to put on the Web site that Jack's grandparents like to visit, but for photos that have any real significance we are going to stick w/film. (Not that you really wanted all that information...)

flagger
12-01-2003, 09:13 PM
The definitive answer?

The file itself should last as long as the medium upon which it is stored does. I have 20 year old programs I created on a Commodore Vic 20 on 5.25 inch floppy disks somewhere. The data itself does not degrade.

I would use any professional printer that uses a silver-halide developing process. It is the same as your film pictures are processed today at places like CVS, Walgreen's etc. Also the type of paper they are printed on matters greatly just as in film developing. I am partial to Kodak paper and have friends that swear by Fuji stock. For black and white I used nothing but Ilford when I was shooting large format film.

A good ink jet process uses a dye-sub. It is still can be affected by water droplets despite manufacturers claims to the contrary. But then again so can silver halide prints. But just remember those type of prints can last up to 20 years before any signs of fading.

I will be honest with you though. Over the six months since Cocoa has been born, I have printed less than 100 pictures.

stillplayswithbarbies
12-01-2003, 11:12 PM
>The definitive answer?
>
>The file itself should last as long as the medium upon which
>it is stored does. I have 20 year old programs I created on a
>Commodore Vic 20 on 5.25 inch floppy disks somewhere. The data
>itself does not degrade.
>

You might want to get those copied to CD soon, if they are indeed still readable. Floppy disks are electromagnetic media and unless you have been spinning them up on the old Vic 20 on a regular basis, the data is probably unreadable now. (the earth's magnetic field degrades the data, just like a magnet would, but more slowly)

Those of you who have the Sony Mavica that takes digital pics right to a floppy will want to save those onto a CD for longterm storage. The data on a floppy won't last 20 years.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
12-01-2003, 11:31 PM
> Those of you who have the Sony Mavica that takes digital pics right to a floppy will want to save those onto a CD for longterm storage. The data on a floppy won't last 20 years.

The Sony Mavica uses mini CD's, not floppies. Mute point for us though, as we put everything onto CD for backup.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

stillplayswithbarbies
12-02-2003, 10:33 AM
>
>The Sony Mavica uses mini CD's, not floppies. Mute point for
>us though, as we put everything onto CD for backup.

oops, sorry! It must have been the older ones that used floppys? I was looking at one on clearance at WalMart and I could have sworn it had a slot for a floppy. If that was a CD slot, I'm kicking myself for not buying it for MIL for Christmas.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

mharling
12-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I don't know if they used to or not. We got ours a couple of years a go and it uses the mini CD. We love it!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

smkinc
12-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Just thought I'd chime in here.

Here's a link to an article in family tree magazine on the relative permanence of ink-jet printed images vs. traditional photos. It's a large PDF.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/Family_Tree_MagazineSept_03.pdf

To add a disclaimer--I work for HP's imaging and printing division, but this article comes from Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc. which (from about us page on website) "conducts research on the stability and preservation of traditional and digital color photographs and motion pictures. The company publishes brand name-specific permanence data for desktop and large-format inkjet printers and other digital printing devices."

Ink-jet technology has dramatically improved in the last 5 years, and to quote from the article “The latest generation of ink-jet printers can produce family pictures and scrapbook images that rival traditional photos—and resist fading even longer.”

HTH,

Mary (Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03)

kransden
12-02-2003, 03:22 PM
They used to use floppies, but now use mini cds. I used to use one. While bulky, it was really handy at work to just hand the person the floppy.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

kransden
12-02-2003, 03:34 PM
I just surfed over to consumerreports.org and checked to see what they say. BTW a subscription is an excellent Xmas gift.
Here is what they say: "Inkjet prints can also fade and smudge. By contrast, labs like Mystic use the same photographic paper and chemicals as when printing from film negatives."

So if you take them to be printed out professionally, you are getting the same quality as film prints.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

ddmarsh
12-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Did it happen to mention anything about the image itself? I *know* I've read this is more than one place, but can't recall where and what that info was based upon.

flagger
12-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Debbie,

I promise if a digital image is printed using the same process as a film image it will last the same amount of time.

Could you have been reading the opinion of a film manufacturer that was lamenting the downward sales of his product? :) I am not meaning to be flippant but what are you worried about or what do you want to print?

A SLR is going to give you a better print than a one-time use camera. A medium to large format camera is going to produce an even "better" er maybe more clear image.

A digital camera using jpeg compression with minimal MP is going to be able to produce passable 3x6 prints. A digital camera with a higher MP able to store a file in the RAW format is going to produce outstanding 16X20 prints. A digital SLR is going to be even more amazing.

kransden
12-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Your image is only as good as your camera. I have a 4 mpg. It takes fantastic shots. But if the lighting is bad, the kid moves etc, it will still be a bad pic just like film. I wouldn't get anything less than a 3 mpg. You can see the fur on some of dd's stuffed animals the pics are so good. I hope that helps.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02