PDA

View Full Version : OT - Dumb question re: kitchen knives

Marisa6826
12-01-2003, 06:03 PM
Jonathan has these really yucky old Farberware knives that ARE NOT coming with us to the new house (hint hint - the Wustoffs are calling!!!) :P

How do you get rid of them?

I was thinking that I would just wrap them up in newspaper or something and toss them. Then I started getting visions of some crazed homeless person roaming the streets with crappy, dull knives bearing my fingerprints on them...

Any suggestions?

-m

luvbeinmama
12-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Donate them to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, or a local women's shelter program, or something like that.

Marisa6826
12-01-2003, 06:12 PM
I am donating all of Jonathan's old pots and pans (that are as crappy as the knives!) to the Salvation Army, but for some reason I didn't think they'd take the knives.

-m

barbarhow
12-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah, they definately take them. That's where my DH's crappy old knives went....Or maybe to the senior citizen center for their big tag sale. (I think that was it.)
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

MamaKath
12-01-2003, 10:35 PM
They'll take them! And if he is objecting pack all the stuff to get rid of together so when it "disappears" in the move, fewer questions will get asked, lol.

s7714
12-02-2003, 01:13 AM
:) You've just made me realize that I should have "lost" my DH's college set when we moved a couple years ago! I hate those things! Ours (no, correct that—HIS) are so old they aren't safe because they're dull and rusting in the handles. But, even though DH is admittedly afraid of being cut when handling any knives, and at least twice the rusty things have snapped off the handle when he's been cutting something with them, he refuses to give them up. Sigh…what is it that makes men not want to give these knives up?!

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

luvbeinmama
12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Ack! Doesn't he realize that good sharp knives are MUCH safer than dull ones?!?? Cutting with dull knives is a good way to lose a finger! Go to Costco and get a decent set of knives for $130-140. (My mommy brain is forgetting the brand name, but its the one with the angular squarish dude(s) in the logo). I got these years ago and I LOVE them. Okay, so they are the second quality sets for the manufacturer, but I don't have the $$ to shell out for a full set of first quality. And they are GREAT!!

barbarhow
12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Henckels?
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Marisa6826
12-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Kath-

Jonathan SOOOOO knows they are out the door and he can't do anything about it!

Maybe if he LEARNED to cook something other than mac and cheese, tunafish sandwiches, toast and pasta he would have more say about what lives in MY kitchen :P

-m

s7714
12-02-2003, 12:56 PM
We actually have a excellent set of knives that we received as a wedding present (which I use). And yes, I repeatedly tell him that it's dangerous to cut with a dull knife...

I had the realization this morning in the shower that I should probably just go ahead and get rid of the stupid things regardless of his affection for them. When our next donation pickup rolls around in a couple of weeks I'll just throw those into the pile while he's at work! (Maybe I'll buy him some new ones for an early Christmas present :P )

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

luvbeinmama
12-02-2003, 05:47 PM
YES! Thanks... :)