PDA

View Full Version : REALLY freaked about the flu!!!

deborah_r
12-02-2003, 02:03 AM
MIL called today to tell me 3 children died in New Mexico (where she lives) over the weekend from the flu, or "flu-like" symptoms, or whatever they call it. We are going to New Mexico later this month for Christmas. Now I know DS can get the flu here too, it just seems less likely (Southern California) He had his 6 month check-up last week, and I forgot to ask about the flu shot and the ped didn't mention it...not sure what to do about it.

And how can I stay healthy, as a breastfeeding mother? Meaning, what's OK - should I get the flu-shot, or should I dose myself up with echinacea or something?

I know flu shot was discussed a while back, but can we all share again whether or not we've gotten the flu-shot for ourselves and our children? I read something about a projection of 30,000 people dying from the flu this season. I never worried about this stuff before we had DS!

jmofarrill
12-02-2003, 02:33 AM
I completely understand your comment about never worrying about this stuff before our children were born. I'm usually soooo laid back, but Anwyn has me jumping over every cough, sneeze, rattle, and roll!

As for staying healthy, the best I can say is to eat well, get some exercise in (or just some movement!), get ALL your sleep, don't take on too much over the holidays (READ - DON'T STRESS YOURSELF TO THE BREAKING POINT - some things have to be let go), take a multi-vitamin, and just enjoy life. My grandmother would add, "Stand up straight and have a healthy attitude." Posture is her favorite cure (I think she's got something there, to tell the truth), and attitude on life REALLY affects your physical health. Since my 72 yo g-mom can run circles around me, I tend to take her advice! LOL

I don't know if that's what you were looking for, but I didn't have any advice on the flu-shots. I focused more on the Mom Staying Healthy part.

Melanie
12-02-2003, 02:42 AM
No flu shot for myself, I've never had one actually. No flu shot for Ds either.

Dh has had them in the past, and frankly,he's always been sicker more often than I am (until he started regular chiropractor visits - knock on wood!). I don't think he's had one since we began our vaccine research while pregnant, but I'm pretty sure he won't be getting one this year.

It's so hard for me to fathom people dying from the flu, KWIM? That's such a foreign concept to me (also raised and living in So. Cal.). I'm not saying it doesn't happen here, maybe I just have never heard of it.

As for the echinacea (which I am proud to say my 2 year old pronounces very well!), I does us up when I feel we've been exposed or will be exposed to sick people. I believe it is not supposed to be taken on a regular basis beyond 2 weeks, but I've not researched that...I think it says it on the bottle of ours.

flagger
12-02-2003, 08:20 AM
We went with the CDC's recommendations that every child between 6 months and 2 years get the flu shot this year. Ms. Flagger never gets the flu shot since in the two years she did, she was sicker than she had ever been. I get it every year. The flu is much different than a regular cold.

We had two cases of Hep A turn up at a first grade just north of here yesterday which bothers me more than the flu however. Of course, the best defense against quite a few maladies is vigilant hand washing.

KGoes
12-02-2003, 09:11 AM
The present recommendation is that all children over 6 months be vaccinated. My ped recommended that both DH and I get our flu shots to help minimize flu exposure since DD is not old enough for her shot. She then scared the crap out of me by advising me to keep DD away from crowds and the church nursery(?!?!?) Since DD is in daycare, there's not much I can do about exposure. Even in our rather rural area, there has already been one confirmed case of influenza. The flu shot is a killed virus, so there is no chance of getting the flu from the shot. That said, the flu strain that is causing deaths in children in Colorado (4) and Washington (3) is not included in this year's vaccine. The deaths are primarily resulting from cardiac arrest or muscle deterioration/inflammation caused by the virus. A secondary and real risk is pneumonia. Texas is also experiencing an outbreak and schools have been closed to prevent the spread.
Can you tell that I am as freaked out as you are?
I always got a flu shot because my employer strongly encouraged it (must keep those billable units healthy) and never noticed much difference in whether or not I fell prey to colds, etc. Now, I'm really hoping the shots work!
Kelley
DD born 7/03

MinnieMouse
12-02-2003, 09:23 AM
The problem with the flu shot is that it is a best guess as to which strain(s) will be problematic each year. The CDC announced (I think it was them) a few weeks ago that they expect that this year's flu will be especially bad and that the current flu shot DOES NOT PROTECT against the strain that has become most prominent. Of course in the next breath they told everyone to get flu shots. Seems counterintuitive to me...they know that the flu shot won't work on this year's flu...but they want you to get the shot anyway??

I used to get the flu shot here at work for a few years..it was here and cheap....I really didn't notice a difference...didn't really get sick when I got it or didn't get. Dd is 2yo now and has never had a flu shot...and she's in daycare. She's healthy as a horse...just an occasional cold.

HTH

Christine

stillplayswithbarbies
12-02-2003, 10:13 AM
I don't get the flu shot. I never have and I don't intend to. I've rarely had the flu in my life that I can recall.

A few years ago, I read this book:
Flu : The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic
by Gina Kolata

It is about the 1918 flu epidemic that killed 40 million people worldwide. I didn't even know there was such a thing, it certainly wasn't covered in my history books. The book goes into the process of how the flu vaccines are developed and it was very informational about how these things work. It helped me to make a better informed choice as to whether to get the shot or not.

It also talks about the Swine Flu of the 1970s, I am old enough to remember that one. The President got his flu shot on national television to show that it was safe. Lucky that he wasn't one of the many who got Guillan Barre syndrome from the shot.

I don't get the flu shot, but I do pay attention to things like what strain of flu is around and whether the current vaccine works on it, and things like when thousands of chickens have to be destroyed in China (or Connecticut as happened last year) because they have the flu. (the book explains why that is an important link) If the flu starts to become epidemic, I will pay attention to what the CDC says to do, and decide at that point if I will do it.

And I will breastfeed my baby for as long as she wants to, so that she continues to be protected. I have seen evidence that my breastmilk protects her from what I am exposed to. When I went away for 2 and a half days, and she drank breastmilk from the freezer, she got her one and only cold when I came home with it. She didn't get the antibodies as they were being made by my body at that time, she got milk that had been "produced" before I was exposed to the cold. That shows me that the magical power of breastmilk is real.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

emilyf
12-02-2003, 10:27 AM
I had a discussion about this with my ped at our last visit in October. She always gets one herself (as a doctor she's high risk) but doesn't have her children get it, and didn't really recommend it for ds. Since he's been so healthy, and isn't in daycare she felt it was unlikely he would be exposed and if he did catch it he would probably handle it ok. She is somewhat concerned with what she called vaccine immunity as opposed to letting a child's immune system face a few hurdles on its own if that makes sense. All that said, all the stuff in the news is starting to make me nervous too-dh and I didn't get shots either.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

momma_boo
12-02-2003, 11:19 AM
There was an article in Slate (online magazine from MSN) about the flu vaccine. Here is the link: http://slate.msn.com/id/2091774/

I think to stay healthy, the biggest thing to do is wash your hands constantly!

Personally, I got the flu shot (it's free for all staff where I work -- a health center). I don't work with patients. I sit at a desk and push papers. I didn't want to take a chance of getting sick. DD goes to a daycare, so we decided to get a flu shot for her also. She had to get it twice, one month apart. She didn't have any ill effects from it at all. DD got it as well. We both volunteer as EMT's and would most probably come in contact with people suffering from the flu.

Yes, the CDC has said that this year's vaccines do not fully protect against the prevalent strain b/c the virus mutated. But I did hear that it offers some protection so that if you do get the flu, it itsn't as severe. I haven't had the flu in a long time, but the one time I got it, it was miserable and didn't want to go through that again or subject DD to it as well.

MelissaTC
12-02-2003, 12:27 PM
DH, DS and I have all gotten the shot. DH's work (IBM) offered it to all their employees so I made DH get it. DS's pediatrician highly recommended it, especially since DS is in preschool 2x a week. I always get it and since I started gettng the vaccination(4 years ago), I have never suffered from the flu (knock on wood!). Now sinus infections are another story ;)

DH and I had a long talk with DH's uncle, a well respected internist, and he highly recommended all of us getting the shot. He gaves us the pros and cons and in the end said that he thinks it is the best thing. We respect his opinion and went with it. My Dr told me to vaccinate Matthew as well. And then his ped did. So we did it.

MelissaTC
12-02-2003, 12:27 PM
IGNORE- double post

Calmegja2
12-02-2003, 01:21 PM
We all got the flu shot. DH, me, and all the kiddos. Josh is still nursing, but I don' trust that as a magic bullet to protect him from all, and at 18 months, he's right in the prime target zone for complications, so we were sure to get his two shot dose.

You have to do what you're comfortable with. I think my experience with immunology makes me a strong proponent of the shot. You can take all the right steps, washing your hands constantly, supporting your immune system with nutrition and rest, but I still think that the shot helps. It's not perfect, but it helps with what I consider to be a very real risk.

starrynight
12-02-2003, 01:57 PM
None of us get it and I'm not ever bothering either. Like someone else said what's the point if it doesn't protect against this years flu which is the one killing people anyway.

Thimerosal is still in flu vaccines eventhough it is iffy if it's safe and therefore was removed from all other vax. That is the main reason I avoid it, my mom got very sick from a flu shot. It turns out she is very allergic to thimerosal. The doc told her that in most cases people who claim they got sick from the flu vax are probably allergic to thimerosal, since the shot itself is inactive virus.

Dh's job mandates it but he told them he was allergic to eggs to duck out of it lol, since it made him feel so cruddy last year. Any one with an egg allergy should avoid the flu shot.

I've never had the flu and never had a flu shot so I'm not all that concerned. (knock on cyber wood)

Calmegja2
12-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Fluzone make a thim. free shot.

egoldber
12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Here's a link to a news story about this year's flu vaccine. This year's vaccine protects against 3 strains of flu. Unfortunately 1 of the 3 strains has drifted since the vaccine was developed. So the vaccine will still protect against 2 of the 3 strains and partially against the 3rd strain.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031125/ap_on_he_me/worst_flu_1

I hadn't planned on getting a flu vaccine for myself or DD, but the flu is supposed to be so bad this year, I'm re-considering.

lisams
12-02-2003, 03:28 PM
That's exactly what my ped. told us. She said that DD wasn't high risk and that he only recommended Dh and I get the vaccine. I have never had the vaccine and never had the flu (at least not strong enough for me to think I had it). The funny thing is that I was a teacher for several years and was exposed to several flu seasons. Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe all of that exposure has "toughened up" my immune system.

Lisa

22tango
12-02-2003, 03:31 PM
Every year that I don't get a shot, I get the flu BAD!!! :( Last year, since Karenna was too young for a shot, both DH & I had them. This year she's got her shot (the 2nd part was given today!!) I had missed the floating clinics around Halloween and was going to put it off, but now stories like that one will make me and DH get our shots later this week!! DH is in grad school which is a hotbed of germs, and I really hate getting sick (esp. with a small one to care for), so it makes good sense for us to get shots too!

ddmarsh
12-02-2003, 03:56 PM
I haven't decided what to do yet and I'm worried that time is running out. It's not just DH and I, the biggest concern is the boys bringing something home from school. Is anyone else with kids in school planning on getting them vaccinated and not the baby at home?

starrynight
12-02-2003, 04:55 PM
Jessica, I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing that out to me and everyone else :).
I"m still avoiding it though LOL.

deborah_r
12-02-2003, 06:21 PM
UPDATE: Just called my ped and he could get a shot now but would need another booster in 4 weeks, so I don't know how really "protected" he would be for our trip (which is less than 4 weeks away). And she felt it takes 4-6 weeks after you get the shot to really build up the immunity. But he JUST turned 6 months old, so I could not have done it earlier.

So now I'm very perplexed. :(

houseof3boys
12-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Hmmmm, that is perplexing. Ryan has his 6 month visit on Monday and I wonder what I will do about it too.

It'll work out Deb, I'm sure your magic breastmilk will protect Kai. :)

twins r fun
12-03-2003, 12:12 AM
We went for our two year well visits a few Fridays ago. The pediatrician asked if we wanted flu shots. I hadn't thought about it and never get one myself (and don't think I've ever had the flu) so told her not today, but I'd check into it and come back if we wanted it. Well by Monday evening Jacob had the flu and by Wednesday Caleb had it! I'm sure we picked it up from the ped's office!! It took a week, but we survived it so I guess we won't get the flu shot now. Neither DH or I caught it from the boys.

How are these kids dying of the flu? We were really worried about Caleb for a few days, but neither of us could actually figure out how you become deathly ill from it, other than dehydration or pneumonia. What is it that can kill a person?

deborah_r
12-03-2003, 02:16 AM
I found this article which briefly talks about how children can die from the flu:

Deaths of Children May Signal Severe Flu Season
Four youngsters died in Colorado in the last week as health officials become alarmed. Shots are recommended to counter the disease.

From Associated Press

ATLANTA — Four children have died of the flu in Colorado since last week in what U.S. health officials said Wednesday could foretell a severe flu season for the country.

The children were 21 months old, 2, 8 and 15, and their deaths startled some health officials because they happened so close together and so early in the season. Last year, Colorado had four child deaths over the course of the flu season, which normally peaks in January and February and runs through April.

Even before the deaths, there were signs that this could be an especially bad flu season. Some parts of the country — particularly Colorado, Texas and Nevada — have been hit hard a month earlier than usual.

Also, the flu strain that doctors are seeing is the H3N2 Fujian, part of a class of flu viruses that caused severe outbreaks in the United States in the 1990s.

"Doctors across the city are saying they've never seen a flu season like this," said Dr. Ned Calonge, chief medical officer for the Colorado Department of Public Health in Denver. He said nearly 4,000 cases of flu in adults and children had been reported in Colorado so far this fall.

The four youngsters are the only flu deaths so far in Colorado. However, flu-stricken children in both Texas and Colorado are being kept alive on ventilators in hospitals. And some schools in both states have seen high absentee rates or have closed to stop the spread of the flu.

The Colorado cases have prompted concern among parents who are rushing their children to the clinic for shots. Arvada Pediatric Associates has already given 862 shots in the last month, said administrator John Gordon. That contrasts with 745 shots given in the entire fourth quarter of 2002.

"I don't know if it's in my head, but she's been sick, and after watching the news, I realized she had some of the same symptoms," said Dennis Shing, who became worried about his 5-year-old daughter, Emma, after seeing news reports about the four children. "It's kind of scary."

The parents of one of the flu victims, 8-year-old Joseph Williams, went on TV with their story Tuesday night in hopes other parents would take sick children to the doctor.

"It happened so quick and so sudden," Scott Williams said. "He was fine. He wasn't even that sick."

"He just flat-lined and he looked at me," Carrieann Williams said. "Nobody could believe it happened."

Health experts said it would take time to determine whether this flu season will be especially dangerous for children.

"This is something that we are studying and are certainly concerned about," said Dr. Scott Harper, infectious-diseases physician for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "But it's likely this is something that's been going on for years and we just have not recognized it before."

The deaths in Colorado are "a little bit out of the ordinary," said Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of Vanderbilt Medical Center's department of preventive medicine in Nashville. "I think it's a manifestation of this H3N2 strain, which causes more serious disease."

The deaths underscore an often-overlooked fact: Flu can be deadly in children.

Each year, an estimated 36,000 Americans — mainly the elderly — die from the flu. Health officials do not know how many children die, because states do not require doctors to report influenza cases.

"In general, people look as influenza as a benign illness like a common cold when in fact it's a serious illness," Harper said. The flu can cause pneumonia and other respiratory problems, heart failure and heart muscle inflammation in infants.

Last month, a CDC advisory panel recommended that children 6 months to 23 months old receive flu shots, since this age group has as great a risk of hospitalization from the flu as the elderly.

The Fujian strain — which originated in Fujian province, China — was not known when this year's flu vaccine was developed, so this year's formula does not exactly match the flu virus now circulating. But the vaccine will still help prevent the flu and its complications, Schaffner said.

Health experts continue to recommend that people get their flu shots, particularly infants and the elderly.

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options

Melanie
12-03-2003, 02:30 AM
Hhmmm, so you think it's the heart-valve inflammation?

Tondi G
12-03-2003, 01:16 PM
I would say to dose yourself up on some Echinacea... hit Jamba Juice for a cold buster here and there! Upping your intake of vitamin C can't hurt either... we buy the Emergen C packets from Trader Joes and you just put it in water, tastes pretty good too (even Mason likes it)! I've heard the Wellness formula drink made by Odwalla (I think) has a good herb that isn't well known to many but it even more effective than echinacea... a guy at Jamba Juice was telling me this!!!

You can always go to Whole foods and talk to the person in the vitamin/suppliment section and see what they recommend!!!! Keep up with a multi vitamin for sure. Also be sure to drink plenty of water and if you are going on plane I've heard a thin coating of neosporin on the inside of your nose can be helpful.... use a Qtip! Oh and pick up some of that antibacterial hand gel... to clean your and DS's hands from time to time when you are out.... wash your hands often!!!! Good Luck!

I've never had a flu shot and most years get by with just colds not major flu virus's!!!! Hope we all make it through this season without getting too sick!!!!

~Tondi and Mason (7/8/01)

Calmegja2
12-03-2003, 01:32 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20031202/hl_nm/health_echinacea_dc_1

http://www.rnw.nl/hotspots/html/eu031112.html

http://www.canoe.ca/HealthAlternativeColumns/000426.html

Echinacea isn't effective in kiddos, and too much vitamin C can be harmful at some levels, and at much above the RDA, just causes you to have vitamin enriched pee, as the excess is excreted. ;-)

Rachels
12-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Here's Andrew Weil's take on the flu shot. This is a tough call, especially since there's very little data on whether the shot in children under two is either safe or effective, AND whether this year's vaccine protects against the strain of flu which is actually killing people. But the flu is no small deal, either.

http://health.yahoo.com/health/ate/drweil/alldaily/2003/04/132785

FWIW, two of the kids in Colorado who died were immunosuppressed already, and one was a recent adoptee from China (so the health history was unknown). Additionally, two of the four children who died HAD received the flu shot.

(Oops. Edited to actually include the Andrew Weil link.)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Calmegja2
12-03-2003, 02:22 PM
The CDC has great information on the website about how the flu shot works. http://www.cdc.gov

Even though there's been a drift/mutation, there still is cross protection to be offered by the vaccine. It's not useless.

Rachels
12-03-2003, 02:29 PM
I don't think it's useless. I'm just not clear about whether it's universally useful. To me, it's freaking scary either way. The flu is bad news, and the vaccine isn't exactly a perfect science. Finding the thimerisol-free vaccine isn't so easy, and getting your insurance carrier to cover it if it's not administered by your primary care doc is nearly impossible. And from what I read, all the forms of the vaccine contain formaldehyde, which was just listed as a known carcinogen. I'm not saying that nobody should ever get the flu shot. I usually get it, myself. But I don't think it's absolute and clear-cut, and I CERTAINLY don't think there's an absolute or clear-cut answer for children, especially those under age two.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Calmegja2
12-03-2003, 02:33 PM
I didn't say you thought it was useless, Rachel.

I was just showing that it does offer benefits, and with the one of the largest groups at risk being infants 6-23 months, it is, just as you said, something to really search for the answer you feel comfortable with. *For me*, there is a clear cut answer for my children.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/welcome/autumn/flu_shots.html

The CDC specifically states there is a risk to otherwise healthy children. It's not just immunocompromised kids who die from this. It's otherwise healthy ones, too. I don't think that gets stressed often enough, and I sometimes see (I'm not saying here, on this board) people look for reasons why it happened to other people's children. The truth about the flu is that it's a nasty virus, and it can harm or kill a perfectly healthy person, no matter what the age. :-(

My insurance covered the special vaccine with no problems, and my ped's office suggested it before I could even ask. I know I'm lucky to have our insurance, but I really hope we're not the exception to the rule.

mik8
12-03-2003, 03:12 PM
There are raising concerns now among health officials that indeed this year could become of the worst in recent years. Western states have been hit unusually hard and early. This year's vaccine was not designed to neutralize a virulent version of the Type A - Fujian strain that has surfaced in the west. However, CDC says it will still provide some protection from the substrain. Texas, NV, and Colorado have seen surge in cases.

ddmarsh
12-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Any idea on how to locate the thimerosal-free shot? We do not live in a large area although I do have access to two large cities. My ped says he does not have it.

Calmegja2
12-03-2003, 04:04 PM
http://www.us.aventispasteur.com/Diseases/FLU/MAIN.HTM

You could contact them and ask. Thankfully, I did not have to seek it out, it was there at our office.

ddmarsh
12-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Curiously my ped's office called and said that the thimerosal-free shot is recommended only for the 6-24 months ages. This doesn't sound right to me, I haven't come across that in any of the articles I've read. I wonder if it's a misinterpretation. In other words, it's *particularly* recommeded for that age group as opposed to *not* recommended for the other ages if you KWIM.

Melanie
12-03-2003, 05:33 PM
I only read your first story, but it's my understanding that echinacea helps to boost your immune system, so I wouldnt' think it would "alleviate symptoms" as they study noted, anyway...I consider it to be more of a preventative measure.

Melanie
12-03-2003, 05:43 PM
You know, I was thinking about this - what is "the flu?" When you say "flu" what do you mean? I always think of vomiting, fever and stomach aches...not congestion/sneezing/coughing... I don't know that I'm right on that thought, though.

Anyway, FWIW, the more I thought about this, Ds AND I, did get the stomach flu last winter, when he was 13 months and he was hospitalized for dehydration. I did have fever & chills, but he never did. It had never crossed my mind that he was ill enough to be in serious danger, though. Some of you've made me nervous now!

Still not getting the shot though...I would just do some things differently should we get the stomach flu again, but I really really really hope we don't...it was horrible.

Calmegja2
12-03-2003, 06:00 PM
http://www.hsis.org/default.htm?http&&&www.hsis.org/press/990008.htm

It's not really a preventative, either...

The flu being discussed is influenza, a respiratory affliction, not intestinal involvement.

The stomach flu isn't really the flu...it's sucks big time, but it's not the same thing....;-)

mamahill
12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Last week I spent a good 12 hours clutching my stomach in bed, and laying next to the toilet. I haven't had the flu in years, and I don't know when the last time I vomitted was (not even in early pregnancy!). I broke my record smashingly last week. Ainsleigh has been vomitting off and on since Saturday. She has had diarrhea. She hasn't had bad fevers, but if I'm not holding her, she follows me around saying, "Hold you!" in the most pathetic voice. I finally took her to the doctor today to rule out an ear infection (an RN friend said that some kids vomit when they have one) and that she isn't getting dehydrated. Thankfully, she is doing ok in those regards. She threw up twice this morning, but I think it was because she was so hungry she ate applesauce too fast.

All I can say, is that it is breaking my heart to have her crying next to the fridge and making the sign for "please" and "milk." When I open the door, she tries to grab the carton off the door. I'm really trying to limit her food intake and keep it slow, to keep the vomitting at bay, but it's so distressing because she only understands that I'm not feeding her. Ugh!

Anyway, my point is that I wish we had been vaccinated. DH was at work, and on Sunday he was a little achy and now has a cold, but that is the extent of it. Meanwhile, Ainsleigh and I have managed to infect my sister and mother. It's a nasty bug and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Well, maybe the guy who cut me off on the freeway today...;)

jojo2324
12-03-2003, 09:04 PM
I got the flu shot because I'm pregnant. I've gotten it the past three years and not had a bout of the flu. (But then I'll usually get something really gnarly in the middle of August, which stiiiiiiiiiiinks...who wants to be sick in 90 degree weather?!?!) DH has gotten it because he ALWAYS gets sick, so he figures any help he can get he'll take. Gannon got it because he's asthmatic...My ped didn't necessarily recommend that children get the shot, unless breathing issues are present. This thing we're mucking through now seems to be rotovirus, not the flu. (I think he had that last week...:))

justlearning
12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
For the last few years, both DH and I have gotten the flu shot and have not come down with the flu. Because 5 young kids (and possibly a 6th--I think they're still determining cause of death) now have died in Colorado near where I live, I also am FREAKED OUT thinking that DS might get the flu. We had DS get a flu shot the day before Thanksgiving and unforunately he did react to it with a fever and fussiness for the next day and a half. That's worth it, though, in my opinion to decrease his chances of getting the flu. (As Beth posted, it can't guarantee that you won't get this year's flu but it can reduce the odds that you will.) Because I'm a SAHM, DS doesn't get much exposure to other kids but I'm actually trying to eliminate almost all of his exposure right now by not taking him to the church nursery or the daycare at the gym (at least until the flu shot takes effect more and/or until I become less freaked out). I think living in a high-risk area with a baby who puts EVERYTHING in his mouth contributes to my worrying.

JMarie
12-06-2003, 12:38 AM
Up until this year I never had a flu shot - I don't usually get sick and I'm practically religious about washing hands. I even disregarded it while I was pregnant. However, everything changed when I had a preemie and had to watch him struggle to breathe and fight an infection in his lungs, right in the middle of flu season. I don't know what I would have done if he had gotten REALLY sick and I hadn't taken any steps to protect him. My company offers the vaccine free, so both DH and I were covered, and Aidan is scheduled to get his next week. I know the flu vaccine isn't a sure thing, but I'll take my chances that it will keep the flu at bay. For our family the benefits far outweigh the possible side-effects. I know it's not for everyone, but I'll take my chances.

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

Melanie
12-07-2003, 02:16 AM
Deb..maybe this will make you feel better about missing the shot/getting it late:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031205/ap_on_he_me/flu_outbreak_23

especially this sentence:
"Most of the outbreak this fall has been a strain called A-Fujian-H3N2, which was not selected for this year's flu vaccine, according to the CDC. Health experts say the strain is closely related to the strain the vaccine targets, A-Panama-H3N2. "

Melanie
12-07-2003, 04:47 PM
I was given a great link today, that I think might help you with your concerns of flu-exposure for your Ds...it even addresses vaccines as well as other ideas:

http://www.dadamo.com/napharm/store3/template2/proberry.htm

mamicka
12-17-2003, 04:39 PM
I've asked DS's ped & my father (also a ped) about this & was told that even if you can't get the second dose (4-week booster) you are still getting SOME protection & SOME is better than NONE. They also said that it kicks-in in only 2 weeks.

Rachels
12-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Wow, that's fascinating! Interesting about the elderberry, too. I've posted thi before, but elderberry makes a HUGE difference if Abby gets a cold.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mik8
12-18-2003, 12:21 AM
Hi Deborah,

Just wanted you to keep in mind that there are certain common molecular structures that are shared between the different strains and substrains of influenza virus. These common structures or "epitopes" can confer some level of protection across strains or substrains for any given vaccination. So therefore even if this season's vaccine does not cover the latest strain (i.e., Fujian), there is still "some" merit to getting vaccinated because the cellular immunity to these shared epitopes can indeed help to slow the course of infection.