PDA

View Full Version : OT - need new vacuum bagless or not?

momma_boo
12-02-2003, 01:30 PM
I'm curious if those with bagless vacuums (like Hoover windtunnel) find them more convenient than the regular bag ones. We're looking into new vacuums and Consumer Reports seems negative about bagless (b/c of the dust and having to empty more often). Wondering what your experiences have been.

On a side note, which really belongs on the bitching post:
DH was asking me the other day what I want for X-Mas. Later that day, the vaccum died. So whoopee, I get to have a new freakin' vacuum for X-Mas. Money is tight and I don't want him to waste money on a gift when there are things that we actually NEED. It still sucks.

starrynight
12-02-2003, 01:42 PM
*hugs* that stinks about the vacuum.

I have a bag type vacuum and it's so simple to just take the bag out and toss it when it's full. My friend hates her bagless because she has to empty and rinse the cup every time she vacuums. Also the dust is a factor too. hth some.

mik8
12-02-2003, 02:49 PM
All I can say is that at 2 stores we went, there were a lot of returned bagless vacuums on a variety of brands. My friends say it is very dusty when emptied. We have one mini hand bagless canister vacuum primarily for our dog's bed and the stairs and I tell you I have to hold my breath and turn my face sideways because of the nasty dust. The only reasons I kept it are; very compact, lightweight and for its size, really has super power picking up our poochies hair. Otherwise it would have long gone to the garbage.

Momof3Labs
12-02-2003, 02:51 PM
I hate DH's bagless vacuum because it is so messy to empty, and you have to do it so often. You have to vacuum, then empty the canister, then vacuum up the mess you made emptying the canister...

amp
12-02-2003, 02:58 PM
We've had both. MIL bought us a bagless one a few years ago (don't even get me started), but I still use the one I already owned with a bag. DH has used both and says that while the bagless was helpful in seeing how much crap you can still pick up when you think your floor is clean, it's a major pain in the behind to clean. And, if you try to empty it right after you vacuum, there's a lot of static electricity built up in there. DH shocked himself pretty well once and so now he cleans it before he uses it the next time rather than after he's done using it.

When we finally decide to replace it, we will be buying one with a bag. Easier to just pull out the bag and put in the trash. He hates emptying the bagless one.

JustMare
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here and LOVE our Hoover Windtunnel. I can't remember how much we paid for it I'm guessing around $250? We bought it right after purchasing our $1,000+ area rug, so the vacuum price didn't sting as much as the rug's did :)

I love how powerful it is. You can really see a difference after using it. Our rugs looks brand new after a vacuum.

Ours has a light and tools attached but there must be less expensive models.

As for the canister, we don't have to empty it very often. Perhaps, twice a year. But then again, we have hardwood floors with a several different sized area rugs.

I feel the bags are just one thing more to remember to purchase.

llcoddington
12-02-2003, 04:10 PM
We bought a Kenmore Progressive upright from Sears a couple of years ago, and I love it. It uses bags, but they are super easy. I think that it was about $150 for the basic model or $200 for one with extended hose (for cleaning stairs) and other extras. Also has a bare floor option which I like. Consumer Reports recommended this one.

beckyr88
12-02-2003, 04:31 PM
At the advice of some people on this board, we got a Dyson, and LOVE it!! It's even pretty and purple. it isn't a pain to empty at all, just pull a lever and it emptys into the garbage with no mess. Love love love it, and this is a *vacuum* we're talking about!!!

HTH!

Marisa6826
12-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Becky-

Is it the Dyson Animal?

I remember reading about the Dysons here not too long ago and I'm pretty much settled on this one.

-m

beckyr88
12-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Marisa,

Yes, it's the Animal. To be honest, we don't use any of the attachments (nor do we even have a pet!). We don't have to vacuum furniture really, but if you have a pet, the extra attacments would really come in handy. We could have gotten away with the basic model. But the suction is awesome, in fact, it even took up a loose bathroom tile...yikes. And the purple color is just beautiful! Not a pain at all to empty the canister.

HTH!

Marisa6826
12-03-2003, 12:01 AM
Becky-

I was planning on getting it because we have two dogs. In addition, with hardwood floors and oriental rugs, I figured it would work with both - not to mention the runner on the stairs.

Looks like I'm sold! I plan on picking it up as Sears the next time they have any good deals.

Thanks for the input.

-m

C99
12-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Oh I totally hear you! When I want a new kitchen appliance or some such, it's an ideal present. But when I suggested that I get my husband a tool or something as a Christmas present, he scoffed.

That said, I'd go with a bagged vaccuum -- for all of the reasons everyone else mentioned. We have a Kenmore from Sears and have been fairly happy with it. I also have heard great things about the Kirby, which you can get refurbed on eBay for a lot less than you'd get at your door.

momma_boo
12-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Just want to thank everyone for their input. Two days ago, we went and finally bought one (the carpet was looking pretty atrocious!)

We ended up getting a Hoover Windtunnel with bags at Target. It was about $140. DH wanted the $300 bagless one. I just couldn't see spending that much money on a vacuum. Think about how much great clothes I can get for DD with $160 (the difference in cost between the two models). We initially went to Bed, Bath & Beyond... I wanted desperately to use a 20% coupon that we constantly get in the mail. But their selection was pretty slim, although they did have the Dyson one that others mentioned.