PDA

View Full Version : What to bring for upcoming trip to East coast?

cdlamis
12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
We are going to Virginia for Christmas. Since we live in Arizona, I have no idea what to bring for Julia for the cold weather? I know the basics: coat, etc.

Julia will NOT wear hats (she rips them off- even the ones that velcro under the chin).
What can I get to keep her head warm?
Will most toddlers keep mittens on?
Should I buy something like the Bundle Me for the stroller? Any alternatives to this since it is $40+ on Babystyle.com?

We will be outside a lot since we are also going to DC and will be doing the regular "tourist" stuff.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

McQ
12-02-2003, 02:37 PM
Sorry but can't help you much on the hat/head issue. But you'll certainly want something for the stroller. It's gotten quite chilly here (highs in the 40s). Check one of the swap sites or maybe eBay for a better deal on the Bundle Me item.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

egoldber
12-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Well, it could be pleasant weather, but it is likely to be pretty chilly. I would expect highs in the 30's and lows in the teens. If you REALLY think you'll want to wander around the National Mall when its that cold out, I'd get either a Bundle Me Big or a polartec bunting. The buntings are nice because they usually have roll over hands so you don't need mittens. Also, they usually have hoods so you wouldn't need a hat. The downside to the bunting is that it is usually too hot when you're indoors. That's why the Bundle Me is nice.

HTH,

llcoddington
12-02-2003, 06:47 PM
If you plan to tour DC, you will be outside a lot. There are lots of museums that you can spend time in that are inside, but to get to all of these places, you will be walking outside. When people come visit us, we usually take them on a driving tour of DC to see all of the main sites and then do a few museums (of their choice). Also, for the museum part, it is so much easier to take the metro because parking is a problem. So, if you have a lightweight stroller that would be a good thing. Hope you have LOTS of fun!

miki
12-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Do you have one of those plastic rain covers that goes over the whole stroller? Maybe those are not necessary in Arizona. But if you had one of those and it was a windy cold day, maybe Julia's not wearing a hat wouldn't be so bad if she had the rain cover as a windbreak.

kfcboston
12-02-2003, 10:05 PM
I have this Hanna hat for my DS - would Julia be able to pull this off? I like it b/c of its extensive coverage.

http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC%7C16%7C1%7C156%7C6%7C10%7C&scid=MAED9XVLXE5S8KB9HGRMWA7GF7PT2CX0

cdlamis
12-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for your help so far.
Will I really need a Bundle Me or will a heavy blanket and warm clothes do the trick? I have only been to a cold state once during the winter and didn't pay attention to the strollers/babies back then.
What do you all use?

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

cdlamis
12-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Katie-
Thanks for the tip about the HA hat. I do not think she will be able to take that off!! :)
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

egoldber
12-02-2003, 10:50 PM
When Sarah was really little (less than a year), I used a Bundle Me type thing. Last year, for long walks in the stroller I used a polartec bunting. For quick trips outside, I use the blanket on the stroller method. But if you are truly going to be roaming the National Mall in cold weather, I don't think a blanket will cut it, just because the wind can be so strong. The distances are not short between the various buildings and its not always easy to figure out the most stroller accessible entrance into the building

On the other hand, there are TONS of baby stores here. You could wait and see what the weather is like and just buy something here if you need to. Where are you staying? I'm in the Fairfax, VA area and there are literally a dozen stores within a 15-20 minute drive that would have something suitable. I'll be away over that time or else I'd say you could borrow Sarah's bunting from last year!

cdlamis
12-03-2003, 12:39 AM
You are so sweet Beth! We will be in Dumfries (Spelling?). My sister and BIL just moved there.
I am trying to find a Bundle Me on the stroller Swap or Ebay. I doubt I can find one in a consignment store here.
Or else I will take your suggestion and get one at a store there.
Thanks again.
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02

cinrein
12-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Just wanted to add that we've been having fierce winds here. A rain cover on the stroller would definitely help shield the wind for longer walks.

Or, do you have a sling? You could carry her in a sling in between buildings and drape a blanket over her head if it's terribly windy and she won't wear a hat.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03