PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to freak out

jojo2324
12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
We took Gannon back to the ped because he can't keep anything down, including medicine. A different ped took a look at his ears and doesn't think that it's an ear infection...So she said to discontinue the Zithromax. (Aaaah, gotta love consistency.)

He woke up last night with a 103 fever. This morning he refused most food, but what he did eat he threw up. (That was about 5 cheerios.) The ped said that we have to start a log of input (ounces of liquid, etc) and keep track of his diapers. She said he's about 3-5% dehydrated; 10% lands him in the hospital with an IV. She said he's on his way there, and that if things don't improve we're to report back to her tomorrow. He hasn't wet since 11:30, and it's 2:30 now.

My biggest worry (other than a hospital stay) is how lethargic he is. He's NEVER like this. Even when he's been his sickest, he's still running around and wanting to play. Right now he's socked out on the couch. He barely has the energy to hold his sippy cup. He just ate ONE goldfish, and so far so good...It's still on the inside. And luckily, he seems to be taking the Pedialyte and that's staying down too. But he'll take a few sips, then nap, then I'll rouse him and try to have him take a few more sips, then he'll fall asleep again.

I just want my little boy to be better! Oh, and she said that DH and I will most likely be feeling it ourselves within a day or two.

This is no fun! :(

todzwife
12-02-2003, 03:09 PM
OH Joanne! I am so sorry to hear that things aren't better! Poor baby! I is so hard when babies get sick. We are borderline hermits at the moment because there are two different nasty buggies going around here and I would die if Dallin got sick! (((HUGE HUGS))) and prayers that Gannon recovers soon! (and you don't get it!)

sntm
12-02-2003, 03:09 PM
oh, joanne, i can't even imagine the G-man without bundles of energy! was he like that when you saw the ped? if it's a big change i wouldn't even wait. i hope his tummy settles down and he can get some fluids in. you poor thing, too, sick yourself and 8-9 months pregnant and taking care of both of your men. strong hugs up there to you all.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

aliceinwonderland
12-02-2003, 03:21 PM
I have no suggestions here just a LOT of sympathy. You're going through so much right now. I can't imagine anything worse than seeing your child suffering...
hugs

miki
12-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Poor kid! Hope he feels better soon. Cheerios may be a bit hard to digest (fiber) and goldfish too (fat). I've been prone to this sort of illness ever since I was little. To get something into me, my mom would make a very thin gruel/soup with just plain white rice. If I took a spoonful of it, it would give me some fluid for hydration and some starch for energy. But it was never appetizing.

Rachels
12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Oh, poor Gannon! And poor you! Yikes, how scary. What about popsicles or Jello or something like that? I wish I were nearby! I would go to the grocery store for you.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Girlie I wish I lived close I'd help you guys out!!!
I am so sorry that you and my favorite little G Man are going thru all of this. IF they start IVs on him he'll perk up quickly I bet, I'd keep up to date on how lethargic he is feeling, I hate that they just go my a number (%)...and very glad that he is taking the pedialyte...keep us posted!!!

Big kiss to him from us!...and you too...
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jojo2324
12-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys...I'm slightly encouraged, as he just kind of snapped out of it and actually started talking to me...First time he's done so today. ("Mom. MOM." ) Also, he ventured off the couch and got out his blocks, so that's encouraging too.

He finally wet/pooped. It was so gross. Graphic imagery coming up here, but it was like cobwebs or spagetti, like string. Has anybody ever encoutered that before? And his poor bum is so red! I'm getting to it as soon as I hear him fart (sorry, but that's what precedes it) and he's still really red.

But, of course, he is now refusing to drink anything. I tried putting some pedialyte into his new, super cool straw cup we got the other day, but he pushes it away. Then I tried again with Gatorade, same thing. Now we're back to water in his sippy, with me trying to sneak in a teaspoon here and there via dropper. We've now downgraded from ounces to 1/4 teaspoons.

I am going to try some toast or oyster crackers, but both of those have come up when we tried them before. But, he's up and walking, so that's a good sign. The ped said this was really normal, especially around Christmas, and that in two weeks she'll be running around like crazy. So hopefully we've gotten our bit done and over with before the holidays. Thanks again guys!! I really hope you're all spared!! :)

starrynight
12-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Oh boy do you have your hands full Joanne! *hugs* I really hope that Gannon gets over it fast and that you and your dh don't catch it.

As for the icky poop, yup I have encountered that with my kids after a particularly yucky puke fest LOL. He will be okay as long as you can get some fluids into him. The iv is no fun so I hope he will take the fluids via mouth voluntarily. Alex needed an iv last summer due to vomiting and he was not happy about it. Keep us posted!

mik8
12-02-2003, 05:03 PM
I feel so terribly sorry for all of you especially poor little Gannon. Has his disposition "significantly" changed from when he was last evaluated? If so, I'd probably not wait 'til tomorrow. Also, keep that pedialyte going and remember it's better to have him take "frequent small sips of it" rather than one big amount of fluid as that will just induce vomiting.

Hang in there....We're all thinking of you all.

brigmaman
12-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Oh Joanne, this sounds awful. I am glad to hear that Gannon was acting more like himself today. I know this is gross, but do you think he would eat McD's Fries? I will gladly bring some out to you guys tomorrow morning. I know you will probably say no to help, but seriously just tell me what I can get you guys and I will bring it over. I got a DVD player so brig will be fine in the car for the trip. What about a shake or something...for either of you.
If you decide to take me up on this, give me a call. I'll just come to the door, drop it off and be on my way! :)
Either way, I give you a load of credit for dealing with this past week so well! Talk to you...

khakismom
12-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Joanne, I feel sooooo bad for you guys--both you and Gannon! I hope it only gets better from here and that he is on the road to recovery! Take care!!

amp
12-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Oh Joanne - Poor you and Gannon! Hope the G-Man is back to himself in no time! Hugs to both of you!

jojo2324
12-02-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks again guys. He's kept everything down since this morning's ped visit. (And, yes, she saw him in his lethargic state.) But he's been up and walking about. Still refusing liquids for the most part...I kind of stuffed the dropper into the side of his cheek and hope most of it makes it in. He ate 6 oyster crackers, another big improvement. :)

Luckily, for the most part, my illness is done. I think now it's just fatigue setting in. I'm heading to bed and it's 8 pm! That hasn't happened since I was probably 6, LOL. :)

Trish, thanks so much for the offer, but you stay put. I've already decided that Gymboree is out on Friday, because even if Gannon is better, who knows if it'll still be floating around in either one of us. I don't want to expose you and Brig!! It's way too nasty! :P

I'll call the ped in the morning once we see how things are going, but I think we're over the hump. Yeah!!! Thanks again ladies! :D

cdlamis
12-02-2003, 08:58 PM
A little late posting here but hope you are all feeling better!
Hang in there Joanne and Gannon!
Hope he can keep his food down and get bcak to himself soon.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b32dc745c42b

Annette_C
12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Oh Joanne! I'm so sorry things haven't gotten better for you guys! I hope G-man will be feeling better tomorrow (BTW...high fever and not eating/drinking for a while would make him letargic). I'm glad you're doing better,sweetie. Hang in there and let me know if I can help in any way!
Lov'yah!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02