PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if your doctors are "good"?

deborah_r
12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
I live in a pretty large communtiy, so it's not like there are a handful of doctors to choose from, there are hundreds. We ended up in a medical group through our insurance, but how do you know if it's any good? We haven't been living here that long and don't know all that many people to ask.

Marisa6826
12-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Deb-

I ended up calling the local hospital and asking the charge nurses who they liked. I figured that if they're working together day in and out, they must know who's good and who isn't.

Good luck

-m

miki
12-02-2003, 09:31 PM
I had to pick a medical group through my health insurance also when I was new to where we live. There are two hospitals very close to where I live but I made a point of picking a group with admitting privileges at the non-teaching hospital. My sister-in-law and her husband are doctors who were residents at the teaching hospital back then. I'd heard too many stories about new interns so I wanted to make sure that if I needed to go to the hospital (especially at the start of the academic year), I would not get prodded by a doctor who didn't know what to do and would have to call the attending.

I also checked on the website of the government agency that licenses doctors in California so I could see where and when they went to school and did their residencies, what certifications they have, and whether they have been sanctioned in the past.

lukkykatt
12-02-2003, 10:29 PM
One thing you can do is call your old doctor and see if he/she knows of anyone in your area. If your city has its own magazine, you can do a search to see if they have done an article on the top docs - many of them regularly run such an issue. If neither of these things works, you (if you work) or your hubby could ask people at work - most people are happy to help out. And I like the idea that others have given to call a hospital - and many of them have referral services too.

JMarie
12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
I asked my co-workers for their recommendations. I actually went with the OB office that three others use and Aidan's ped is the same as two of their children. As far as a primary care doctor, I ended up asking the nurses at my OB's office and I've been very happy. Now, if only I could find a decent dentist...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

amp
12-03-2003, 11:35 AM
I found mine through my OB before Jake was born, since I didn't know anyone who could recommend a ped in my area either. She recommended about 3 docs to me and I just picked one. I'm still trying to evaluate what I think of her, but at least medically I know she's probably good.

suribear
12-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Ask *like-minded* friends, family or co-workers for recommendations.

I would never ask for pedi. recos from one friend, as she wants antibiotics for everything, inc. her various colds and "flus". drives me nuts.

Similarly, I would only ask for ob recos from someone who was into natural childbirth, etc.. Those are my personal values.

HOnestly, a lot of it is their bedside manner. Are they willing to answer your questions? I have come across some gems so it is possible :)

Kris