PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot and Eggs

Mom2Miri
12-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Just got back from the ped's office and am sitting here trying to figure out what the ped meant... We talked about solids and she told me it was ok to have DD try egg yolks but not egg whites. However 5 min later we talked about the flu shot and she wanted Mirielle to eat some eggs before going back for the flu shot, to make sure she isn't allergic. I didn't stop to ask if she meant the egg whites or yolks...isn't it the egg protein that is in the flu shot? So that would mean feeding her egg whites but I thought that delaying introduction would lower the chances of allergy?

Anyone else told to do this? Also, is it too late on the flu shot since she needs 2 doses, about a month apart? I had always thought that by Dec it was too late.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

Mom2Miri
12-02-2003, 06:32 PM
Just called the ped's office and in case anyone is interested, they said they've given flu shots to 6month olds without any previous exposure to eggs so it's not necessary to challenge her system with eggs before the shot. However it can't hurt to give her some scrambled eggs if I want to check. So...a definitive "either way is ok" answer. I'm too much the engineer...I like my answers black and white :)

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03