PDA

View Full Version : Help! What is the deal with Christmas stockings?

nitaghei
12-03-2003, 02:22 PM
I've been reading the threads - and I am SOOOO confused.

Background: I'm Indian/ Hindu - I have little to no idea about Christmas traditions, especially with kids, and DH is NO help at all.

What do I need to do, so that my child won't feel deprived? I feel I need to do something - because he's supposed to be raised Catholic, and he's going to grow up in the US, not India.

Am I a terrible mother for not making him a stocking? Is it okay to buy one, like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/xkpj

What is the deal with stocking stuffers? Are these gifts that actually go in the stocking?

Feeling totally clueless

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

starrynight
12-03-2003, 02:30 PM
All my kids have store bought ones and they are okay :). I tend to procrastinate on projects so if I was making them they might not ever get them ;).

Stocking stuffers are small treats or gifts to put in the stockings. Some people wrap them, I don't. I usually put mostly snacks or a bit of candy in them plus one small toy. I save most of the toys and gifts for under the tree.
Examples are a board book, rattle or teether for an infant. Matchbox cars for older kids, hair accessories etc. Or maybe song tapes/cds. Hth

kristine_elen
12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Oh my Gosh, I think the minority of people make their own stockings. The ones you picked are very cute. You can also just get one at Target or something. Usually the gifts that you'd put inside (no need to wrap) are just little treats. For a baby Neel's age I'm thinking things like a couple of blocks, a new bib, a little board book, small toys, etc.
Generally the stockings are filled on the night of Dec. 24 while the child is sleeping. It's Santa who put the gifts in there after climing down your chimney (or coming through your front door) -- a little creepy when you think about it, but whatever. (My parents, when they were still married and up for this sort of thing, would get my dad's boots dirty with soot and ashes from the fireplace and make Santa footprints on the stone in front of the fireplace. I don't remember it at all, but it sounds like a cute idea.)
Child gets to see what's inside the stocking on Christmas morning. Of course, this really has nothing to do with Jesus' birth (wasn't he actually born in the summer?) -- it's just tradition for many folks. Have fun and don't be afraid to mix your own personality and background into whatever you do - there are no rules!

peanut4us
12-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Nita, it is SO OK to buy them. Most people I know buy them and use them year after year. I just enjoy sewing, etc, and I'm cheap, so I'm making ours this year. (almost done!) I think the ones you found are adorable.

Some people like to hang the empty stocking from the mantle as part of the Christmas decor in their house. Then on Christmas eve, you take them down and stuff them (a little toy, socks, oranges, candy, chocolate santa, whatever) so the kiddies discover the goodies in the stocking from Santa. We always did opening the stockings first, then the real presents.

Don't feel clueles! Oh yeah... if you are going to do the whole "Santa" thing... one of my favorite tradtions is leaving a plate of cookies and some milk by the fireplace as a "snack" for Santa. Of course, mom and dad are the ones who get to eat it, but it's very fun!

Calmegja2
12-03-2003, 03:24 PM
We bought cute fleece stockings from Target, andthenhad them embroidered with their names.

I think we ended up with four stocking, names, too, for $25.

And they look quite cool.... ;-)

mik8
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Nita,

Stocking stuffers are a variety of small, fairly inexpensive "goodies" that you put inside a stocking. It's a holiday tradition and could be incorporated in your family if you wish so. Its mainly for fun and a source of mystique for the kids and adults too, of course. Little kids look forward to surprises. If you really want to know the story behind the christmas stocking, here it is:

The Legend of the Christmas Stocking

The custom was founded by the most influential figure in the shaping of today's Santa Claus, St. Nicholas of Myra, a fourth-century bishop who was known for his charity and wisdom. According to legend, a poor Italian father was faced with selling one of his three daughters into slavery in order to afford the dowries needed for others to marry. One night the daughters had washed out their stockings and hung them over the fireplace to dry. Having heard of the family's misfortune, the good saint decided to pay them a visit. Late that night, in the darkness riding his faithful white steed he stopped by their house and saw the stockings through the window. He secretly tossed three bags filled with gold coins down the chimney. The bags fell into the stockings that were hanging by the fire. His kindhearted gift made it possible for all three maidens to marry. A variation of the story is that he tossed the bags threw the window into the stockings. This idea may have accounted for the gifts being delivered to those without chimneys.
Through his life, St. Nicholas tried to help others while inspiring them to do the same. Legends of his unselfish giving spread all over Northern Europe. Like so many other traditions in our country, the legends were introduced by immigrants who brought beliefs when they crossed the Atlantic.

nitaghei
12-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I feel quite a bit less clueless now.

Of course, now I feel I've deprived my dogs all these years for not having stockings for them! :) Several of the dog catalogs have cute paw shaped ones. Like I need any more reasons to spend more money!!

Nita

mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

jojo2324
12-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Nita, don't feel clueless! We're here to help!

In my family, it was similar to what others have descibed: small, unwrapped gifts. We usually open our stockings first thing, before we open the gifts under the tree. I would always get a tangerine and an apple in my stocking, along with bits of candy and small toys. For instance, Gannon is getting some play-doh this year...I'll probably take one of the four containers in the package and put that in his stocking, along with a book and other small things.

And we don't have handmade stockings. The ones you have there are very cute! At many malls this time of year, you might be able to find a kiosk where they'll personalize a stocking with a name in glitter. I've never done it, but I'm sure it's just as easy to do yourself. (Just write the name with glue, then sprinkle glitter over it.)

And milk and cookies is another tradition. Ummmm, in my house, we sometimes left something a little stronger than milk, like a scotch. But milk and cookies is definitely the more traditional route. :) And you have to take at least a bite out of one, and leave crumbs.

I'm sure there are loads of things I'm forgetting, but feel free to ask away! :)

C99
12-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Nita,

ITA with what others have said. And don't feel bad about not having one. While it is an American tradition, it's not done universally. We almost never got stuff in our stockings in my family when I was growing up. I think the first stocking I ever had filled was the Christmas that I was engaged and my MIL asked my mom to send one so that she could fill it (and when I looked at the stocking on Christmas morning, I didn't immediately recognize it!). That said, I think stockings are a cool tradition and I want to do them for Nathaniel. I really liked the Lands' End red (tree) stocking and was going to order it for Nate, but it's out of stock so now I have no idea what to do!

new_mommy25
12-03-2003, 09:44 PM
I liked the story behind Saint Nick, I had no idea.

Everyone in my family has a red felt stocking with their initial on it. My Grandmother has always made them and I guess you are officially "part of the family" when you get yours. She made Noah one this year as well as one for my sisters boyfriend. They've been together for about 5 years and she said she's not sure why she never made one sooner. However most people I know have ones they have bought and there are some gorgeous ones out there.

We would hang our stockings at the same time we trimmed the tree and decorated the house for Christmas. On Christmas Eve after we went to bed Santa would come down and fill them with goodies. I believed in Santa until I was probably 4-5 and it is my big sisters fault I found out the truth, lol. We would always leave out homemade Christmas cookies and milk. We would also write a letter to Santa telling him how good we were that year, hope his reindeer are fine etc. Santa would always write back telling us Thanks, the cookies were delicious, mysteriously in my dad's handwriting, lol. I don't remember what Santa gave me when I was younger but as I got older it was stuff like hand lotion and chapsticks, an inexpensive necklace or earrings , cassete tapes, art pencils, stickers, nail file and polish, calender etc. We also always got a big candy cane. If it didn't fit in the stocking she would just lay it underneath or to the side. My mom would tailor each stocking to each persons taste. This year I've bought DS board books, rattles, teethers, a warm cap, and an ornament that says Baby's First Christmas. For DH its usually CD's, cute boxer shorts, video games, kitchen tools like a spatula etc. (he loves to cook).
Heres a picture of my living room. It's kind of plain because DH and I don't have many Christmas decorations yet. I'm sure we'll collect many in the years to come.

edited at add: Another fun holiday tradtion is an Advent Calender which is kind of like a count down to Christmas. We'd always fought over who got to open each window. Because we were raised Catholic ours always led up to the birth of baby Jesus but there are many non-religious ones oyt there that you fill with things like small treats. Heres an example.http://ww2.potterybarn.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=schi1%7Cp1%7Cwadvent%5Cscalender&pkey=sa1s0advent%2Ccalender&gids=p2913

twins r fun
12-03-2003, 10:34 PM
On the subject of advent calendars, has anybody tried the Playmobil ones? They give you a 3-D cardboard winter scene and then 24 little boxes to open. Inside each box is a Playmobil piece that you add to the winter scene (like a snowman, santa, hockey player, etc) I got one this year and am LOVING it (granted I think I could easily become addicted to Playmobil and can't wait until the boys are old enough to get into it). The toys are still a bit small for all of our little guys, but my boys are enjoying them under supervision and so far have enjoyed opening the little boxes. And like I said it is providing me with immense delight and isn't that one of the side benefits of being a parent-playing with all this cool stuff that you couldn't justify doing without small children around.

luvbeinmama
12-04-2003, 01:12 AM
I believe Christ was actually born in September... don't quote me on that, but I think I remember our pastor saying that.

luvbeinmama
12-04-2003, 01:20 AM
BTW - Don't feel guilty if you decide not to do stockings, either. My family never did, and I haven't. Of course, we also open presents Christmas Eve, so that may have something to do with it. (Santa would come while we were at the church service and leave the presents on our doorstep!). Of course, I do keep thinking about making them for our family, but I never seem to get around to it, LOL!

new_mommy25
12-05-2003, 03:00 AM
YOu are right. Christmas is not Jesus' actual birthdate and I'm not sure how that came into play.

On the subject of the playmobi advent calender. Is this a reusable one? I really like the sound of it. Do you have a link?

Edited: Never mind, I found it :)

Calmegja2
12-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Most historians agree that if there was Jesus the Christ, he was most likely born in the spring.

Christmas is celebrated at winter's solstice time to coincide with established pagan traditions of celebrating, and it made conversion to Christianity more appealing in the beginning, by sharing a commonality with a celebration already in place.

It's a fascinating history, really. The history of the trees, lights, colors, gifts...... ;-)

http://www.didyouknow.cd/xmas/xmashistory.htm

Did I mention how much I love to study World Religion? ;-)