PDA

View Full Version : Question re flu shots for pregnant or TTC women

COElizabeth
12-03-2003, 02:55 PM
I have a CDC info sheet which recommends the flu shot for pregnant women who will be past the 3rd month of pregnancy during flu season. It doesn't really address women who will be in their first trimester then or who are TTC. Does anyone know the recommendation for them? I would want to get Fluzone if possible to avoid the thimerosal, but any other concern? Also, how hard is it to find Fluzone - does anyone know?

Thanks!
Edited to add, I'm not pregnant but am TTC.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Rachels
12-03-2003, 03:25 PM
Flu shots aren't recommended in the first trimester unless you have a medical condition that could make the flu more dangerous for you. I don't know about TTC.

I've been reading about homeopathy for flu prevention. Might be worth trying if you decide not to get the shot. I can give you details if you'd like.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

chrissyhowie
12-03-2003, 04:11 PM
Because the flu vaccine is an inactivated and not a live virus, it theoretically should be safe during any trimester of pregnancy. But it generally is not given during the first trimester to avoid coincident spontaneous miscarriage, for which women have the highest risk during the first trimester. For those women who happen to be in the first trimester during the high risk months, it's a good discussion to have with your doctor and would come down to your comfort level and if there are any additional risk factors present. I don't think there have been any reports of teratogenicity of the vaccine, so therefore I don't think there are any restrictions on getting the vaccine while TTC.

HTH,

newbelly2002
12-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Rachel, I'd love those "details" in an email if you'd be willing?

None of us have received the flu shot. And I'm a little concerned because we'll obviously be exposed to very different flu/cold strains when we're in the States than we've been experiencing over here--particularly in a closed environment like a plane. I'd like to take whatever health-promoting/flu-preventing measures we can both before and during our visit in early January.

What have you found?
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02