PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold?

sbirmantaz
12-04-2003, 07:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows when it is too cold to take a newborn outside for a walk? It is in the 20's here, but I am going stir crazy inside. If they (dd's 14 mo and 2 weeks)are dressed very well and covered with a bundle me and blankets etc, is it ok to walk outside?

Rachels
12-04-2003, 08:13 AM
I don't think I would, because they're still going to be breathing that freezing air into their lungs. I don't have the slightest bit of medical knowledge about what the effects of that might be, but I know that I use a scarf over my nose and mouth to keep from being completely uncomfortable in that weather. And since you can't do that with a babe...

I understand the stir crazy part. We're right there with you. It's FREEZING here, and windy. Yesterday I took Abigail to the mall and just let her run. She pushed her stroller, toddled around, danced in the doorways of shops that were playing music, and generally burned off her excess energy. It was a good alternative.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

momma_boo
12-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Just as a sidenote about the cold weather...

I usually leave the diaperbag in the car, unless it needs to be restocked. Well, last night I needed to change her diaper and when I took out the wipes, I noticed that the container was cold. But when I opened it, I realized that the wipes were frozen, LOL!!
Fortunately, DH was able to get me some wet papertowels b/c of course it was a big poop. Guess I won't be leaving the diaperbag in the car anymore...

lizamann
12-04-2003, 11:32 AM
I'm no medical doctor either, but I think I would take the baby out if it were in the 20's. I think properly bundled they would be fine. Or worn in a sling under your coat. I wouldn't worry about breathing the cold air until it gets into the teens or worse. But that's just my personal preference.

I've heard that in northern Europe, like maybe Sweden, they bundle up the babies and park them outside in the cold for hours at a time for naps. They think it's good for the babies. In fact, I remember a Scandinavian couple in the news a few years back - they left the baby outside in a stroller (here in the US) while they went into a cafe for a cup of coffee. They were sitting in the window watching the kid outside but got into serious trouble with DCFS.

slknight
12-04-2003, 12:16 PM
>I've heard that in northern Europe, like maybe Sweden, they
>bundle up the babies and park them outside in the cold for
>hours at a time for naps. They think it's good for the
>babies.

Yes, I've read this as well. I was on another bulletin board/mailing list where a woman discussed this. She posted pictures of her baby sleeping outside in the winter. I don't remember if it was Sweden or Norway. I thought it was a little strange, but apparently, it is very common!

It was in the low 20s here yesterday (windchill much colder) and I thought about taking Alex for a walk. I decided not to for other reasons, but my mom seemed to think it was perfectly ok. I think that it would probably be fine if they are dressed warmly enough. Then again, if we don't go out when it's in the 20s, we'll be in from now til April! I'm thinking that 5 to 10 degrees might be my cutoff.

Susan and Alex (04.18.03)

I think it's actually Finland where this is pretty common. Check out this info I found on having a baby in Finland: http://pre20031103.stm.fi/suomi/eho/julkaisut/mamuvauva/vauva_englanti.pdf

"Naps
Irrespective of the season, many children have their evening naps outside in
prams. Many babies sleep better outdoors in the fresh air than in the bedroom.
Sleeping outdoors is not dangerous for a baby. One may gradually
start going outdoors when the baby is two weeks old. If it is very cold or
excessively warm, it is better to let the baby sleep inside.
If the baby takes her/his evening nap outside, make sure she/he is clothed
according to the weather. It is not good for the baby to be either too hot
or too cold. You can try the temperature of baby’s skin from hands or neck
when the baby is clothed. When the temperature is below zero, a baby must
have woollen clothes, but woollen clothes should not be placed next to her/
his skin. In summer, make sure that the sun is not shining directly into the
pram, and protect the baby from insect bites. Protect the baby from rain and
wind as well."

Yep! Wool clothes if it's below zero. I would think so! :-)

lizajane
12-04-2003, 12:25 PM
we have an "all weather" plastic cover for our dreamer designs jogger. i plan to use it as a wind blocker when i take DS out in the cold. (i think the main idea is to use it as a rain cover). maybe you could get some kind of stroller cover like that for the tiny babe, at least?

starrynight
12-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Cold air in your lungs is sometimes uncomfy but it will not make you sick and actually in cases of croup etc it's very good for their lungs.

I walk Alex to school almost everyday if I can't get a neighbor to take him. I bundle up both girls and then put a blanket over the stroller canopy to block the wind off of Eliza and give Daria a blanket to put over her lap. (I have a double stroller) It doesn't get below 30 here during the day though (or at least hasn't yet) the wind is worse than the cold!

I remember that story about the baby left outside in a stroller also!

Piglet
12-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Just to clarify, that is below 0 celsius, not fahrenheit. 0 celsius is 32 fahrenheit.

Wool would be appropriate at that temperature :).

I was born in Russia in November, and my mother said they were told to take babies outside everyday, for 1-2 hours! I am just fine, no reactions to the cold and now live in Canada, where it is pretty chilly too!

slknight
12-04-2003, 01:32 PM
>Just to clarify, that is below 0 celsius, not fahrenheit. 0
>celsius is 32 fahrenheit.
>
Ah yes, excellent point! :) My brain is a little cloudy today - lack of sleep.

hbangthompson
12-04-2003, 02:26 PM
I used to take my son out for walks around the neighborhood when it was cold for the same reason you mentioned. He was born in December, and by March, it was still freezing out and windy, particularly since we live by the lake (in Chicago) and I just needed to go out. I bundled him up, then put a thick polar fleece blanket over the stroller (peeking in on him frequently) and walked. He took some of his best and longest naps on those walks. My pediatrician pointed out to me that germs make babies sick, not the cold (unless they're not properly dressed, of course).

Momof3Labs
12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
I did when Colin was little. We wouldn't go it if was windy, and would always cover Colin with the boot and blankets, and pull the stroller canopy down to the napper bar to keep him warmer, but we walked with him into the winter, we just chose our days carefully. Sometimes DH put him in the Baby Bjorn underneath his coat, and Colin stayed nice and toasty.

I understand the stir crazy feeling; I'm getting it here already!! It's gonna be a long winter!

starrynight
12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
I forgot to add, my kids always take the best naps after/during a walk. And my dad always told me if I couldn't get one of the kids to settle down or take a nap to take them out for a walk. Within 4 steps from my front door it would often knock them out for a good nap :).