PDA

View Full Version : First REAL sign!

alleyoop
12-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Right in the middle of dinner! He looks me right in the eye, smiles and signs MILK! OMG! Did you see it, did you see it, he signed milk, he signed milk!!

DH had gotten him his dinner, and had failed to provide him with a sippy of any kind. Of course, we ran and got him some milk, and he was quite pleased. When he was done and out of the high chair (in what we call post-dinner-poopy-play) he was still drinking the milk, so I asked him "what is that?" and he signed milk. Yeah, confirmation!

DS has made the sign for fan before, but always after I did, so I concider this his first REAL, unprompted sign. But more than that, it is the first time he has actually asked for something, by name, that was not within sight.

Wow. This parenting thing can have it's bad days... but man, when they do something new like that... it is a miracle right there in front of you. I am so proud of him!

mharling
12-04-2003, 07:38 PM
That is awesome! We have just started signing and I know I'll be excited when something like that happens.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask about Nate's rash/reaction. What happened with that?

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osnt.jsp?i=67b0de21b356c32425b2 - Halloween Pics!

jojo2324
12-04-2003, 11:44 PM
That's great!! Gannon is a little slow with the signs. He did milk once a few weeks ago and hasn't done it since. I got excited because it was only dog before that. We don't have a dog, but I guess it's important to him...But not really communicative, you know? :)

He just started doing the sign for eat/food, and he does it with this "vooo? vooo?" but he confuses it for drink...It's so neat to know what he wants, and that he's able to tell me! :)

alleyoop
12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Mary,

Thanks for asking. It took about a week for most of the rash to clear away, though he still looked polka-dot when we went swimming for about 2-3 weeks after. Maybe my logic is a bit clouded, but I am even MORE in favor of vaccinations after going through this outbreak than before. If you could have seen how miserable he was with just an attenuated version of measels, I would do anything in my power to protect him from the real thing!

I was pretty mad at our ped for giving me the blowoff that day when he was at his worst... but at least they called me the next morning just to ask how he was doing. I wonder what will happen when he gets the other half of the vac? The same reaction?

Momof3Labs
12-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Yay, Nate!! Signing is so much fun - we wouldn't have discovered it without this board!