PDA

View Full Version : Gymboree Play & Music Classes - Your experience???

mattiew
12-05-2003, 02:57 PM
We just went to a preview class of Gymwalkers and I'm not sure what to think. DD enjoyed playing with the balls and wandering around but so much of it seemed hokey to me and she wasn't sure about some of the activities (which I didn't force, just let her do her thing). DD just turned 1 and attends a parent's day out one morning a week; we also attend a playgroup about every 3 weeks.

I'd like to hear about other's experience - did you join and wish you hadn't or weren't sure about it joined and loved it??? My friends love it but admit it is more for them than their child.

Thanks!
Carrie

cinrein
12-05-2003, 03:40 PM
We weren't sure about it, joined and loved it. We signed up for 8 Music classes this session and decided to sign up for the next session. Anna is almost 10 mos, so we're in the Quarter Notes class.

She really enjoys the class. We don't have a playgroup and it's really her only exposure to other kids that are close to her age. She smiles at everyone in class, tries to sing along with the songs, shakes the shakers, bangs on the drums and has an absolute fit of giggles when I pick her up to do the dances. At first she seemed like she didn't know what to make of it all, but as we go each week I think she's getting the hang of the routine and some idea of what's coming next.

We didn't preview a play class. I may try those once Anna is walking or probably find a similar class offered elsewhere.

If your DD likes Music, I would preview a music class. They take place in a smaller room with the kids and moms sitting around in a circle. They bring out instruments/props only as you use them, so kids don't get overwhelmed by all the "stuff".

HTH
Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

egoldber
12-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Cindy, which Gymboree location do you go to?

cinrein
12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
We go to Chantilly. I think Fairfax is actually closer to me, but the Chantilly one is right next to my health club. (I keep hoping that driving by the dang place every week will make me go!)

They are doing previews of the Music and Art classes next week if you are interested.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03