PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop using the swing?

deborah_r
12-05-2003, 06:33 PM
DS can sit up pretty good now, and he has started to grab the frame of the swing. Are his swing days over?

(Is this the stage where i can start bringing him to the park and putting him in the swing that has the little holes for their legs to stick out?

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-05-2003, 06:43 PM
It's been awhile and I'd guess at about the age you guys are at, I was going to say 4 months, but he too grabbed the swing for awhile before we stopped. I can't even site when and why we stopped it just happened one day. It might have been once we got our borrowed walker (the kind you sit in and chase dogs in and eat in)...I think that kind of took it's place :)
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Momof3Labs
12-05-2003, 07:42 PM
We stopped at 6 months, when I put him in it (after not using it for a month or two) and he started grabbing the bars. I didn't know what might happen, so retired the swing that day.

You could try him at the park - Colin likes that for short periods now. But the park isn't too close to us, so we don't try it often.

McQ
12-05-2003, 07:47 PM
At 8 months (and 17 pounds) Declan is still in the swing. Not as often, but still in the swing. He can sit up in it but he's strapped in (and it's not like it's unsafe). I now have the tray with toys on it and it entertains him well. The swing is off our kitchen so it's a great place for him while we're making/eating dinner.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

egoldber
12-05-2003, 08:16 PM
The directions for my swing (Graco open top) said to stop using it when your baby could grab the bars. That was at about 5 1/2 months for us.

HTH,

MinnieMouse
12-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Bethany used the swing from 4wks (when we went out and bought it) until she was EIGHTEEN mo old!!!

We had an earlier model of the FP aquarium/ducky swing that had a Noah's Ark scene...this allowed us to use it MUCH longer than a standard swing type since she couldn't grab at the bars. Also Bethany was a peanut....an ounce UNDER 18lbs at her one year appt...so she was light enough to use it for a very long time. I think she may have passed 20lbs at around 18mo or so.

Bethany would sleep in her swing when she had a cold or was overly fussy/tired...at some point she actually started reaching for the swing when she desperately wanted to sleep but couldn't fall off.

HTH
Christine

stillplayswithbarbies
12-05-2003, 10:21 PM
we are still using it at 8 months. We have the FP Aquarium swing with no bars to grab.

edited because I apparently don't know the age of my baby. oops.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

MartiesMom2B
12-05-2003, 10:40 PM
We still use it. We have the Rubber Ducky cradle swing so we don't have bars either. We only put M in there when we eat and we play a tape for her.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

egoldber
12-05-2003, 10:47 PM
If I had known then what I know now, I would have definitely gotten the FP cradle style swing instead.

gour0
12-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Grrr! We stopped when our swing stopped. He's only 18lbs but it just doesn't move for him anymore. I have the FP aquarium swing as well and I need to call FP and complain about a few things! (the mobile stopped moving after about a month)

starrynight
12-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Alex 4 months because he would grab the bars and stop the swing, Daria about 7-8 months when she wasn't entertained by it anymore and Eliza is still in the swing :).

jmofarrill
12-06-2003, 03:24 PM
We realized we weren't using it anymore about a month ago, so we put it in the garage - dd was 5.5 mo then. We put the ultrasaucer in it's place, and Anwyn is sooooooooo much happier with the new arrangement.

MinnieMouse
12-06-2003, 05:49 PM
...Oops I forgot to mention that although dd used her swing through 18mo, she only used it to sleep in from almost day one of having it. She never has liked being confined (as soon as she was crawling we had to stop using the Ultrasaucer).

I think I could count on one hand the number of times dd tolerated being in the swing awake.

Christine