PDA

View Full Version : Need Info On Digital Cameras...

elvisfan
12-07-2003, 01:27 PM
I have itching to sell on ebay and would like to get a digital camera.First of all, how do digital cameras work? How do you get the picture on the computer? And, finally, where can I find a cheap digital camera? Thanks!

starrynight
12-07-2003, 03:04 PM
I would do a google search on digital cameras under x amount of dollars. Depending on what you want to spend. Then you can research what you want and check the prices at different stores then go to the store that has the one you want and play with the camera in person to make sure you really like it. Check epinions for user reviews also :). That is what I did and after about a week's research I decided what I wanted and then went to circuit city to acutally check it out and purchase it.

Each camera is different on how you get it onto the computer but most either have a usb cable that you plug from the camera to a usb port on your pc or a memory card/memory stick you remove from the camera and then us in a card reader. My camera you can do it either way, I prefer the usb cable since mine came with it and I didn't have to purchase the card reader.

Basically the digi's work the same way a film camera does minus the film. There is a memory card, memory stick or some of the really new and fancy ones put the pics on mini disks. You use a flash etc like a film camera and some digi's have a screen you can use to look at before taking the pic or you use the viewfinder. Mine has the option of either or but the viewfinder saves on batteries, I only use the screen to make sure the picture came out or to view them all before downloading to the pc. If you get a decent one you usually get a good zoom on it also. I have a fugi finepix 300 (I think that's the model number lol) and it also makes 1 minute video clips I can email to people.

One big thing is digi's eat batteries! So your best bet is to get a set of rechargable ones with a recharger. Last year I spendt $20 for a maxell one that takes a few hours to charge up th batteries. This year I have seen a few ones that claim they recharge the batteries in 15 minutes, that sounds like a great idea. My digi with regular batteries died after about 20 pictures, but with the rechargeable ones it lasts a few months and many pictures before needing a recharge.