PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-07-2003, 11:42 PM
WOW I don't think I would have been interested in checking these movies out, but yesterday friends came over with #2...and I was so HOOKED...so today we checked out #1 and had them over for dinner and I just loved them...and where did this cutie pa tootie Viggo (sp???) Mortensen come from???? The guy who plays Aragon and is "super stud", I never comment on a guy infront of DH but neither my friend nor I could withhold our drooling over him!!! Whew!!!

Anyone else love these movies???
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

jmofarrill
12-08-2003, 01:44 AM
Oh, yeah, BIG LOTR fans over here. I really like Tolkien's work, even though I haven't read a lot of it. Dh and I are really looking forward to the last movie coming out next week! This year, though, I won't be doing the first showing at midnight... *sigh* It's waaaaay past Anwyn's bedtime! LOL

new_mommy25
12-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Yes! I am dying to see Lord of The Rings! I looved the books and I love the movies. Luckily the theatre by our house has a cry room so I can see it. But no midnight movies for me anymore. Aragon is a hottie but so is Orlando Bloom who plays Legolas. If you've seen Pirates of the Carribean you'll know what I mean. And lol, I always tell DH about my guys. Johnny Depp has and always will be my dream husband, LOL.

dogmom
12-08-2003, 09:33 AM
The last two Christmasses (on the actually day) my DH and I have gone and seen the Lord of the Rings movies. Last year I was 37 weeks pregnant and was very worried on how much battle scenes I would miss when I was in the bathroom! When we were waiting for it to start I looked over and my DH and said, "You realize that next year we will have an 11 month old and won't be able to just go out to a movie whenever we want." I'm trying to convince my mother to come up for Christmas so she can babysit! ;)

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

nitaghei
12-08-2003, 10:12 AM
My vote is for Orlando Bloom!!

I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan - I even have several volumes of the fragments that Tolkien's son edited and published after his death. And I have a lot of the minor works (Leaf by Niggle etc). And I've actually read the Sillmarion.

My one major quibble with the LOTR movies is the potrayal of Gimli - turning him into a comic character (mostly) is really unfair. And I didn't think too much of the potrayal of Faramir either (one of my favorite characters). That said, The Return of the King still is the MAJOR movie event of the year for me.

I'm still trying to figure out a babysitter to see The Return of the King. I'm really curious about the Nazgul will be potrayed, among other things.

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

jmofarrill
12-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Nita - you are my hero for reading The Silmarillion! I pulled it off the bookshelf (again) last night. I'm determined to read it! Maybe it will be a New Year's resolution.

ITA about the portrayal of Gimli; I couldn't understand why they felt it necessary to make him the comic relief. At least they didn't make him a bumbling idiot.

The character I wish they had included was Tom Bombadill (sp?). I would have been really interested in seeing him in the movie.

parkersmama
12-08-2003, 11:24 AM
I love these movies!!! After the first one, I was obsessed with it and dug up info on the filming, actors, storylines, etc. Strange, I've never been so obsessed with a movie before.

Which character is Gimli? I'm having trouble putting names with them...sometimes the names are hard to understand, especially when you haven't read all the books. :)

jmofarrill
12-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Denise - Gimli is the dwarf. I understand about the names - they aren't your typical names, either, so it makes it that much more difficult to sort out the characters! Can you tell that Arwen was the inspiration for Anwyn? Dh wanted to name her Arwen, but I put my foot down and said that I was NOT naming my daughter after a fictional character.

Here's some trivia - J.R.R. Tolkien was the man instrumental in bringing C.S. Lewis to Christianity. Interesting, eh?

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-08-2003, 12:31 PM
I swear I thought of you guys last night when they showed Arwen...I honestly wondered if there was a connection!!! :)
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

esianoyam3
12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
I'm totally obsessed with anything LOTR-ish. I wanted to name dd Arwen, but I figured it would be a bit cliched... DH and I are into pretty much anything fantasy/renaissance-ish... We go to Renaissance fairs, and I have far too many Renaissance costumes to count... MIL will soon be making dd's first Renaissance costume for the Ren Faire we're attending in March.

We've already bought tickets to see the third installment of LOTR... Opening night was sold out. :-( So we're going on Friday night, and again for a Saturday matinee (we're going with friends on Friday, and family on Saturday)... Yeah, we're a bit obsessed...

Viggo Mortenson is gorgeous!! But Orlando Bloom makes a great elf!! (Much better as an elf than a pirate!)

esianoyam3
12-08-2003, 01:26 PM
I agree about Tom Bombadill!! Why didn't they put him in? That was one of my major gripes about the first movie... Of course, it probably would have made the movie too long, but he's one of my favorite characters...

nitaghei
12-08-2003, 01:45 PM
I heard somewhere that the super extended 4- DVD version of Fellowship of the Ring has Tom Bombadil- but I haven't checked it out. I agree, that would been fun. OTOH, that is the one part that can be cut out without losing the main story.

Nita

PS: I do know how to spell Silmarillion - I just don't know how to type!!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

egoldber
12-08-2003, 02:45 PM
I've also always been a huge Tolkien fan! I also read the Silmarilion and few more besides that, LOL, but not for a lONG time!

I agree that one of the things that MOST disappointed me about The Two Towers movie was the portrayal of Faramir. He's always been my favorite character and I love his romance with Eowyn. I hope they don't ruin that in the third movie. :(

And I really wish they had kept in the story of the growth of the friendship between Legolas and Gimli. Their frinedship was another highlight of the book for me.

And totally drooling over Viggo Mortensen here too! :)

new_mommy25
12-08-2003, 03:04 PM
>
>I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan - I even have several volumes of the
>fragments that Tolkien's son edited and published after his
>death. And I have a lot of the minor works (Leaf by Niggle
>etc). And I've actually read the Sillmarion.

LOL, me too!!!!

luvbeinmama
12-08-2003, 08:18 PM
The Tom Bombadill part would have made the movie too long, otherwise it would have been in there, according to an interview we saw. BUT Old Man Willow makes an appearance in Two Towers if you get the extended version!! ALSO, more of the reasoning about Faramir's change of character is in the extended version. I didn't like Faramir's change either. Also, in one of the interviews they said that they were building up the power of the ring over the minds of everyone, and to have someone, especially a human, seemingly immune to it, would have killed some of that build up. So they changed his character a bit for the sake of that. Fortunately, they DID keep Arwen out of the places she shouldn't be (like Helm's Deep). Unfortunately, apparently the Scouring of the Shire is not included as well. It really makes it the story of the Ring that way instead of the story of the hobbits, but I guess it that's the way movies go. LOL! I can't wait to see the Paths of the Dead.

NEVE - Did you see the theatrical or extended version?? I HIGHLY recommend the extended versions of both movies, as they are really more complete. It seems to me, after seeing both versions of the two movies, that the extended version was the movie they were really making, and the theatrical version was cut to fit the timeframe that the theatre's are willing to play.

nigele
12-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Neve,

I really enjoyed LOTR as well. My vote for the hottest guy is Legolas - oh, baby!

lizamann
12-08-2003, 11:10 PM
I love these too. DH unfortunately is addicted to video games and he bought the one for the 3rd movie and has been playing it EVERY DAY. He even made me play against him once (which I obliged just because it's LOTR.) The sad thing is that it kinda spoils the movie, ya know? I don't think I'll be surprised by many of the scenes, the game is SO realistic. I can't believe they release the game before the movie!

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-10-2003, 10:21 AM
How do I know which one we watched???
We watched the one rented from Block Buster???
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

hez
12-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Me, too-- I reread The Silmarillion on occasion, but it takes awhile to get through it!

My DH, who doesn't read anything deeper than Sports Illustrated or ESPN (the magazine) actually picked up the first book in the trilogy to read it. Granted, he only got a couple chapters in so far, so but he was inspired enough by the movies to read! Go figure!

kapow
12-10-2003, 04:28 PM
I love these movies. I read the books a long time ago, and the movies made me re-read them. Great story! I tried to read The Silmarillion but I didn't get very far, I'm impressed by those who made it all the way through!

And yeah, the guys in the fellowship aren't hard to look at at all :)

Torey
12-10-2003, 11:45 PM
The extended version has 4 disks to it. I assume that BlockBuster includes all 4 when they rent out that version.

luvbeinmama
12-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Okay, in the extended version there is a scene in Osgiliath where you see Boromir, Faramir, and their father, Denethor. It is a flashback scene (Faramir's flashback) as Boromir is dead at this point in the movie, and it is where Denethor tells Boromir about the ring and the meeting at Rivendell. This scene is not in the theatrical version.

Edited to add: Also, in the Extended version, the actual movie is on 2 dvds so you would have had to switch discs in the middle of the movie.

Other additions in the Extended version: At Helms Deep the Hurons (trees) destroy the fleeing UrukHai & Orcs. In Fangorn Forest, you see Pippin & Merry drinking the Ent Draught, and Pippin gets taller. Theodred's funeral. There are more, but these are pretty easy to describe and if you haven't seen these you saw the Theatrical version.

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-11-2003, 09:27 AM
OH I wonder where I get it from???
Thank you so much, I got bored in number 2 with Merry and Pippin hanging out in the tree more, I think they should have added something to break that up like you describe...

Thanks again!!!
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

luvbeinmama
12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
If your rental place doesn't have the extended version, it is only about $25 at Costco! Or you can get both of them on Amazon for $28 (Fellowship) and $26 (Two Towers) LOL! :) Okay that is normally really expensive for a movie, but there are 2 more dvds of interviews & extra "stuff" as well. We bought the extended version of the 1st & 2nd LOTR movies, and will wait for the extended version of Return of the King as well. It really is so much more complete, that I don't imagine I'll be watching the theatrical version outside of the theaters. Hee hee, looks like you're another LOTR fan in the making! :P