PDA

View Full Version : DS isn't really sitting up -- when did your child hit this milestone?

bunnisa
12-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone. DS is great -- but he has only sat up for about 5 seconds at a time. He likes to sit in our laps, or on the couch, but he usually reaches forward and falls over (he is more interested in chewing on whatever is in front of him than sitting up)

I read that 6 1/2 mo. is the average, but I think my mom is worrying me about this -- last night she told me how my brother and I were doing so much more by this age, then asked me when the last time we went to the Ped was (2 mo ago) and seemed all worried. Of course she totally overreacts when it comes to her grandson, but I can't help but feel a bit of her worry.

So my question is, when did your DS/DD sit up for a length of time (even Boppy-assisted)?

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

jmofarrill
12-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Dd started sitting up about 6-7 weeks ago, so that would be 5.5 mo. Now, there are a couple of babies older than dd at daycare who are not sitting up yet, so I guess she's a little early. We all know the routine: every baby is different and hits milestones at different times. Your ds is FINE; if he couldn't sit up AT ALL, maybe then bring it up with your ped. When he decides it's time, he'll just start sitting up. Babies are hilarious like this: one day they show no interest in a particular skill, and the next day they're doing it like they've done it for months!

parkersmama
12-08-2003, 12:06 PM
First of all, love the name Wilkes! That's such a great name!

Secondly, of my 3 kids, they've all done it at different times. Amy Grace started right before she turned 5 months (which I think is *very* early). Parker and Wesley were both sometime between 6 & 7 months. I don't think there's any reason to worry yet. If he's not sitting by about 8 months, unassisted, I think it might be time to ask about it. Lots of babies are not sitting at 6-6 1/2 months. But, I do understand your concern. It's hard not to worry and compare.

marinkitty
12-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Don't worry - 6.5 months is normal and that is when Mia really started to sit well unassisted. But I know lots of babes who haven't started sitting till 7-8 months and they are doing great - walking now etc. They all just have their own schedule.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

vpalmer
12-08-2003, 02:05 PM
Bethany,

My DD was born 4 days before Wilkes and is just getting good at sitting unassisted. She also does the falling forward thing, but she is able to sit for a while with the Boppy. I know you already know this, but every baby definitely has their own schedule. Eva began sitting unassisted at a little over 5 months, BUT she didn't roll over util she was almost 5 months old either. Go figure!

Hang in there,

Veronica
Mom to Eva 6-12-03

kfcboston
12-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Well, my DS is a bit unusual I guess, but he was crawling a solid month before he decided he was willing to sit still for even 5 seconds and play with something! I'd say he started really solidly sitting and playing at about 8 1/2 months or a little later, but he was crawling and standing assisted before that. Who knows??

khakismom
12-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Kathleen started crawling at a little before 7 months and didn't get good at sitting until almost 8 months. Ellen sits pretty good, but has to have major assistance. We either have our hands loosely arond her waist or she has 2 Boppys around her. Try to have hime do a little Boppy sitting each day--like 5 minutes. Every little bit will help. :)

I don't think most babies get sitting down *really* well (ie, completely unassisted) until 7 months.

starrynight
12-08-2003, 05:20 PM
I'm sure he is fine. Daria hated to sit up for the longest time, she hated the boppy even more. Funny now she loves to sit on it to watch tv on the floor ;). She was 8 months old before she would sit up without throwing a fit and would sit up willingly on her own. Before that we would try and prop her up or help her sit and either she would throw herself back on the floor or lie down and then crawl or roll away from us to prove she didn't want any part of sitting. Maybe she knew I was trying to 'make' her, I dunno but she is perfectly fine now. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
12-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Logan spent a week learning to sit up when she was 5 and a half months old. It was definitely something she wanted to do on her own, none of our attempts to help her were well received.

She crawled for the first time one month later, at the photo studio for her 6 month pics. She kept crawling out of the frame. . .

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jesseandgrace
12-09-2003, 09:51 AM
I think he is way too young to even give this a second thought. I think if he were sitting now he would be sitting early! Also, I don't remember what month my three year old did everything, so do you think your mom is really accurate? I know if I listen to my grandmother she has my dad talking at six months :).

Jennifer

Grace 6/7/03
Jesse 9/17/00

jennifer13
12-09-2003, 03:40 PM
My 6 1/2 month old just started sitting up unassisted. She hated sitting, and I started to worry about that too. It seemed liked she never wanted to be upright. One idea for you: At 5 months I got her an exersaucer, and that really helped- it basically gave her a reason to be erect. At first she only liked it for 5 minutes at a time, and then that grew. And I think it really helped her learn to sit up. That and lots of tummy time and boppy-sitting time.

Looks like you should be due for your 6 month appt with the ped- hopefully he/she can give you some reassurance. It's so hard not to worry about these things!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

lizajane
12-09-2003, 04:34 PM
schuyler sat well unassisted at 7 months. he sat at 6 months, but not well and for great lengths of time. and he is 8.5 months and doesn't crawl, pull up or say ma ma or da da.

if i have to hear my mom tell me one more time how early my sister and i did everything, i will lose my mind. i think she figured that out, because she has 1) stopped mentioned our early milestones now that he has started hitting them late and 2) has started telling me that my brother hit them MUCH later then we girls.

ethansmom
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
DS never really sat well with the boppy....One day we sat him up and he leaned way forward on his arms, but didn't fall over. I didn't consider it sitting, but the dr kept commenting at his 6-month appt how well he sat. (the appt was actually at about 6.5 months.) I too was starting to get worried, when bam, he sat up straight and hasn't fallen over since! If he's sitting for 5 seconds now, I bet he'll be a pro in a couple of weeks!

MommytoDylan
12-09-2003, 10:11 PM
It has always been hard to hear about "early" milestone achievers for me. Dylan has done most things late, but gets there eventually, and I torture myself when I compare him to others! I can sympathize with you though.

Meredith

bunnisa
12-09-2003, 10:19 PM
You know, I never thought I'd be one of "those" moms -- the kind that overanalyze every development or lack therof. Being madly in love with the little guy has driven me, well, a little mad, I suppose!

I think I'm doing okay... but with my mom, and my SIL (whose son, 13 wks older than Wilkes, was sitting up perfectly, rolling around and rocking by this time) I was starting to worry.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I feel much better. Now, if I could only be sure that he's getting enough milk, then we'll be just fine! ;)

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric (Wilkes)
6/16/03

Momof3Labs
12-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Colin didn't sit up until about 7 months, and that's because he was like your little guy - he wouldn't sit STILL long enough to sit UP!

Your little guy is FINE!!