PDA

View Full Version : Camcorder help please!

smomom
12-08-2003, 02:10 PM
My mom has graciously offered to chip in to help us by a camcorder. We are probably looking at the $400 - $500 range. Two models that I have noticed are the Sony TRV250 and the Sony TRV350. Does anyone have either of these models?

I am very clueless about camcorders. I want something easy to use that will take good quality shots. I don't have to have still shots - we have a digital camera I love.

Any information is appreciated!!!!

vikivoly
12-10-2003, 02:10 AM
I just posted a lengthy post about camcorders in the Nursery Necessity forum.

I did find this review of the the TRV250. http://tinyurl.com/yjwh

Also, not sure if you're aware, but you're looking at Digital 8mm. It does not take the same tapes as the miniDV Camcorders. It uses Hi-8mm tapes. The quality is a step below the miniDV and a step above Hi-8mm. The big advantage to this format is it will playback tapes previously recorded on a Hi-8mm camcorder.

amp
12-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi Dana - I posted in the thread in the Nursery section too. We have a Canon ZR45 (I think that's the code) and we are pretty pleased with it. Sorry, I don't know anything about the Sony models.

amyinNC
12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
I just bought my husband the cannon zr70mc (it's miniDV). It's less expensive than the sonys and has more features (22x optical zoom, longer battery, etc). The main reason I picked this one - it's very easy to use (I tried it in the store and was able to do lots of stuff with it - without needing a manual or asking questions) - and it's small & ergonomic. We have a digital camera so I wasn't concerned with the still picture quality (which is very poor on all the camcorders - even those close to $1,000).

It also has received good reviews on most of the sites. Some people have complained about motor noise on their reviews - and other says there is no noise. I guess I'll find out when it arrives. None of the camcorders do that well in low light situations - so that's a common complaint. It was $599 at Best Buy, or around $400 online.

Good luck,
Amy