PDA

View Full Version : How did you do it, 2 kids under 2, I need advice!

sbirmantaz
12-08-2003, 03:39 PM
I have a 14 mo old dd and a 2.5 week old. The hardest thing so far (other than the newborn stuff) is not being able to spend the time with the older dd. She is just starting the no, no toddler stage and learning so much. Now with a newborn too I am not doing as good a job of being consistent with discipline and playing with her. For others who've been there, how did things go? When do things get smoother? Doesn't help that there is 2+ feet snow so we can't walk outside....

stella
12-08-2003, 04:18 PM
This is a hard time. Put on the videos - the Baby Mozart line is great for this kind of day. Mine were 17 months aoart and at this time last year I was in the exact same position as you. My best advice is to ignore the baby. Really. Tend to baby's needs - feeding, changing, burping, but really try to give all your attention to the older child. She is such a baby too and really doesn't understand what you're doing with this infant.

These days are so hard. My thoughts are with you. And I hope you can get out soon!! When mine were this age it was very, very cold one day, but the roads were clear, so I put the baby in her "snowsuit" in th einfant seat and placed the infant seat in the wagon. Then I let my big boy (17 months) ride in the wagon with the car seat and that worked pretty well as I didn't have a double stroller yet. But there was no snow on the ground either.

Good Luck! It gets better when baby #2 can sit up. And even better when baby #2 can walk. And now it really is a lot of fun. Mine are 1 and 2 1/2. You will love this arrangement in a year - sorry it's so tough right now!

starrynight
12-08-2003, 04:20 PM
*hugs* You will get through this! My 2 youngest are 19 months apart. They are now 10 weeks and 21.5 months. I try and spend time with my older kids when Eliza is asleep and either rest or nap when they both nap. Although lately as much as I need the sleep I end up on here when they are napping LOL. I need the adult interaction ;). It's hard to be consistent with discipline if your exhausted. I laxed a bit the first few weeks, now coffee is my friend and it's sad to say I think I have adapted to lack of sleep. That can be a good thing but a bad thing! In a few weeks you won't feel so exhausted and it will get easier. Is there anyone that can come over to visit you so you can get a break or at least you can all play together inside? I don't have the snow so it has been easier on me since I can get out most days. I would imagine it's tough for you stuck inside! I admit some days we used the tv wayyy too much or sat in jammies and ate oreos just so there was peace and rest in the house. It won't be like that forever, you just need to relax a bit and have a junk day.

I know I didn't really give you much help did I? Sorry!