PDA

View Full Version : LA Mamas (Zen, Rose??)--Really Need Some Help!

newbelly2002
12-09-2003, 05:23 AM
My younger sister (27) moved to LA this past October with her boyfriend. For Christmas I'd like to get her some kind of "LA fun." I was thinking along the lines of a spa afternoon, a pedicure, lunch in a really cool and unusual restaurant, maybe renting a special two-person bike/kayak/???. Perhaps something that might help introduce her to some part of LA she wouldn't otherwise get to know. She's up for pretty much anything so long as she thinks it's "cool"--otherwise she can be a bit...particular. Their apartment is in Santa Monica only a few blocks from the pier. I was thinking of spending no more than about $50, so it does have to be "adventure on the cheap."

So give me your ideas (and specifics so I can call to make them happen!) your best locals-only LA-adventure!

TIA!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

mom2kandj
12-09-2003, 11:36 AM
I'm too far south to be of any help! :( Now if you had asked for the Laguna Beach area, I would have had a ton of ideas for you!

Hopefully Zen, Luvbeinmama, Dcclerk, Melanie, or Deborah R will chime in with answers as they are all much farther north than I am! Good luck in the hunt for "cheap thrills"! :)

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

deborah_r
12-09-2003, 04:52 PM
I'm not too hip to the LA scene, as I don't leave Pasadena much, but this is supposed to be a great spa:

http://www.burkewilliamsspa.com/home.htm

Burke Williams. It has several locations. I think the "hot" restaurants and night clubs change about once a month here, and I don't know what is all the rage right now.

Also you can search for ideas here, at CitySearch - http://losangeles.citysearch.com/

Maybe a play, musical or opera? I think there is some famous production here now, I saw a billboard, can't remember what it is.

I'll keep thinking...

Melanie
12-09-2003, 05:07 PM
I haven't been to Burke Williams, but even I've heard of it way up here in the 'burbs. Not sure if $50 will cut it there, though...

Santa Monica...check out the 3rd Street Promenade: http://www.downtownsm.com/ it's a very popular/trendy place and there are restaurants there.

The Producers is here...but again...not sure what $50 will get you there... here's the website and events at the Pantages...I love that theatre, of course I look at the architecture, I'm not a 'theater buff' as far as sound or anything like that. I would imagine it's great since so many popular events are there:
http://www.nederlander.com/wc/schedule/theatre_schedule.htm

Another thing would be something at the Hollywood Bowl:
http://www.hollywoodbowl.com

...anyone else have some better ideas? I'm not all that good at this. ;-)

Oh wait... there's Gladstone's in Malibu:
http://www.gladstones.com/

and of course CityWalk at Universal:
http://www.citywalkhollywood.com/
I heard that "Howl at the Moon" is fun...but I've not been. It's a Piano Bar w/ dueling Pianos.

Another idea is tickets to an Imax Film...

deborah_r
12-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to get tickets to a Lakers game? That might be something to look into. (I've never looked, so for all I know they could be sold out 5 years in advance)

KMommie
12-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Laker tix are pretty hard to come by, but Clipper tix are fun as are the Kings, if you're into sports. The atmosphere is pretty cool at Staples and you can do some star watching. BurkeWilliams is pretty pricey, you can go to www.burkewilliams.com to check out their prices, packages and locations.

There's also The Bridge off of Howard Hughes Parkway. We go there for movies when we want to splurge. They have a bar inside and they do more than the usual popcorn and Goobers at the concession stand. Try chicken strips, funnel cake, french fries... And they have special theatres called "The Director's Hall". You choose actual seats, like for a play. The seats are these high backed leather super comfy, roomy chairs. It's attached to a small outdoor mall, with a Nordstrom Rack, Borders, Rocky Mountain Chocolate, On the Border Mexican Restaurant, Islands Restaurant (burgers and fries), Jody Maroni's.

If they are willing to travel, The Irvine Spectrum is pretty fun. They have several nightclubs (one has live music---country, I think), a Dave & Buster's, shops, IMAX and regular Edwards Theatres, and other restaurants.

If they are looking for cheap, greasy LA must eateries---let me know. :) That's more our style.

I just thought of a different type of restaurant---Miceli's in Studio City, right by CityWalk. Their waiters provide entertainment, they sing and perform. It's an Italian restaurant, the last time we were there, we heard an aspiring opera singer and heard someone do a short monologue. :) The food is decent, but nothing to rave about, IMHO.

That's all I can think of right now...have to go make dinner.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

MommytoDylan
12-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Jeannie,

Have you been to The Grove? I always hear my LA friends talking about it and it is mentioned often in magazines as a place when movie stars go to the movies or out to eat. I don't know much about what it offers, however.

Paula,
I live down the street from the Irvine Spectrum if you need any information on it.

HTH,
Meredith

mom2kandj
12-10-2003, 03:09 AM
Paula -

Whalewatching season just opened and runs through April and I'm sure that there are charters out of Santa Monica. Also, we love Catalina which is an island a short boat ride away(one to three hours depending on type of boat)in the Channel Islands. I second Melanie's suggestion of the Hollywood Bowl. We don't go up there this time of year, but it is a unique experience during the summer concert series. HTH!

BTW - Meredith - we've got a BBB SoCal moms group that likes to meet once a month! We've got members from Ventura County down to Sand Diego! (I'm in Aliso Viejo!) Drop me an email if you need more info!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

newbelly2002
12-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Thanks so much, you guys are the best!

I really like the Catalina idea. How would I go about finding more info? Could I buy the boat tickets? Any good recommendations on things to do/places to eat there?

"Howl at the Moon" also sounds good--I'm looking into it.
Does anyone know if it's real kitschy? Having lived in NYC, I'm wary of "theme bars," but I don't want to dismiss something that could be a blast.

She's not a real theater, classical music or sports fan (she and I are really polar opposites when it comes to anything cultural. I love museums; she's bored within minutes), so while the ideas sound great for ME, this is--sigh--a gift for her. Just call her the "young and the restless."

Keep the ideas coming, please!

Paula
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

newbelly2002
12-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Melanie,

I'd love that list of low-key eateries you suggested. They both are into that scene and love local, hole-in-th-walls.

Thanks!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

Tondi G
12-10-2003, 12:59 PM
I've been to the Grove in fact we live 3 blocks from there!!!! It is great! Lots of YUMMY restraunts, good shops, they have an FAO schwarz toy store that DS LOVES!!! they have a trolley that runs for free and a small scale dancing fountain like they have at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas!

I would highly recommend send your sister to the Grove!!!! go to their website to check it out www.thegrovela.com .. maybe lunch/dinner and a movie (their theater is SOOO NICE!)

Burke Wiliams spa is NICE but expensive.... I went on my 25th birthday with my sister!!!

Citywalk up at universal studios is fun... I'm sure they have a website too! They have a restraunt there with a mechanical bull for people to sttempt to ride... too funny!!!!

~Tondi

Tondi G
12-10-2003, 01:04 PM
I forgot to add that the Grove is adjacent to the Original Farmers Market which is an LA Landmark!!!! It has become quite the "inn" place to be since the grove opened!!!! LOL Check out the website... The Grove could be a good one! Dinner or lunch at Madame Woo's, Wood ranch, Magiannos or Morels! Followed by a Trolley ride and some window shopping.... finishing with a movie! It would be fun... weekdays are much less busy than weekends! www.thegrovela.com

~Tondi

NancyJ_redo
12-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Paula - is she athletic at all? The Santa Monica mountains are right by her and they have awesome hiking trails. If she's athletic and enjoys hiking (just day hikes), the SM Mtns are VERY popular, considered hip, etc. You can buy her a trail book for the SM Mtns. Other alternatives, if she's athletic, are to rent her roller blades at SM beach, or the two-person bike, or buy her roller blading lessons. Do a search on "Perry's Pizza" (that's where they rent roller blades) or "Santa Monica Pier" and include additional relevant words (e.g. "roller blades"). There aren't any kayaks rentals in SM that I know of, but they do have rentals in Malibu, which is about 15 miles north.

As for the spa, they are sooo expensive here that all that would be in your budget would be a manicure & pedicure at most...massages generally start at $70 and rapidly go up from there.

If you have any more ideas as to things she might enjoy feel free to email me and I can direct you to the right resources.

One more thing, THE most trendiest, star-heavy restaurant in town is probably The Ivy in Beverly Hills. $50 should certainly cover lunch for two there (definitely not dinner). There is an Ivy in Santa Monica, called "Ivy by the Shore", which is somewhat trendy and star-heavy at times, but the original Ivy in BH is considered much more hip (think JLo, PDiddy, Ashton Kutcher type of place).

NancyJ_redo
12-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Paula - following is a link to the company that does the boats to Catalina. San Pedro is the closest launch to your sister in SM, it's about a half hour south of her. There are also helicopter rides to Catalina, but those are much pricier.

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/