PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else freaked out about the flu?

jesseandgrace
12-09-2003, 09:56 AM
I am really nervous about this years flu virus as it seems really bad for kids. We are going to Arizona on Friday and I am worried about travel. Also, I am thinking of getting the flu shot for my three year old, but I am not sure about the six month old. Has anyone given a flu shot to an infant? I have an appointment for them tomorrow, but I am not even sure they will be able to get it because they have runny noses. Am I worried for no reason?

Jennifer

bnme
12-09-2003, 10:04 AM
My DS had a flu shot last month-he was 10 months. I was nervous about giving it to him since it seems to be new for babes that young, but he had no adverse reaction. We did give him Tylenol for the next 48 hours, as recommended by the ped-but not as often as he suggested. 2 other mommies of infants under 2 that I know kids are NOT getting the shot because their ped doesn't recommend it (or thinks its not nesc?).

I wonder what most peds are recommending? I thought it was a new thing endorsed by the AAP, but I could have my info wrong. (?)

momma_boo
12-09-2003, 10:30 AM
There was a fairly long thread just a few days ago about the flu. There were lots of posts from both sides of the fence on whether to vaccinate or not.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=45448&mesg_id=45448&page=2

My DD got a flu shot when she was approximately 6 mo. and we didn't experience any adverse reactions, not even a fever. She had a runny nose at the time also and the doctor checked her out and gave her an ok for the shot. FYI - for the first time, the flu shot is 2 doses given one month apart.

cchavez
12-09-2003, 11:05 AM
I am started to get freaked out too. We all got the flu shot in our house. Diego was 6 months when he got the first round and got the 2nd shot just last week. He did not have a reaction. hth

22tango
12-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Here's some Flu info for you: http://newsletters.keepkidshealthy.com/cgi-bin/knowwhat.cgi?l=welcome/infectionsguide/flu_facts.html

khakismom
12-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Ellen just had her 6 month checkup yesterday and got her flu shot (#1 of 2). Our ped said that the AAP recommends that all children from 6 month to 24 months be vaxed for the flu because they are in an age group that is more susceptible to the flu. She did fine with the shot and was just a tiny bit fussy last nite. Other than that, no reaction (and she got 4 shots yesterday :(). Kathleen got her first flu shot (1 and 2) last year, so this year she only needed one.

ETA: This is some good info on this year's flu (specifically the fact that "Influenza is a serious disease, and people of any age can get it. In an average year, the flu causes 36,000 deaths [mostly among those aged 65 years or older] and 114,000 hospitalizations in the United States."):

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/flu/vacfacts.htm

And here's some good info on traveling and prevention:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/flu/prevent.htm

kransden
12-09-2003, 01:13 PM
Funny you should mention this, my boss is a former Dean of Nursing, and he actually stopped me in the hall this morning to ask if I had gotten dd her flu shot. It seems the flu is hitting children pretty hard this year. BTW getting the shot tomorrow won't be in enough time for your trip on Friday. So just make sure you practice extra careful hygiene on you plane trip. I like to take a bottle of purell along in the winter.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
12-09-2003, 01:54 PM
My ped HIGHLY recommends the flu shot to babes, he has a baby a few months behind T and I asked if his baby was getting it and he said "YES".

With that said we have not gotten it, no real big reason, but just have not gotten it ...(yet)....if there are any left we have a huge shortage here.

But just wanted to weigh in that my ped supports it and recommends it!!!
Neve
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Calmegja2
12-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Our ped supports it, and recommends it not only for babies in the high risk group, but those who will be in close contact with babies in that group.

We all got one. 'Cept for Josh. He got two! ;-)

MartiesMom2B
12-09-2003, 02:00 PM
M is getting her booster shot this Friday. She didn't have an adverse reaction to her first shot. I am worried about the flu too. Neither DH or I have gotten the vaccine ourselves. DH tutors kids as a side job and I told him not to touch anything that those kids touch and that he must wash his hands when he gets back. DH works with people who have kids too so he could easily get sick from them too.

I think I need to stock on some chlorox wipes for the door knobs and etc and stick some purell in my purse.

I would get a flu shot for the infant. M was 6 1/2 months old when I got the shot for her.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

Jen in Chicago
12-09-2003, 02:38 PM
A child just died in Chicago. So sad!!!!

I actually have had an appt for 2 weeks now. I go today. DH will get something soon (work travel is getting in the way) and we are going to the Ped on Sat. for Jude's 6 mo appt so he may get one then.

houseof3boys
12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
I'm freaked out too. I keep reminding DH to wash his hands every hour at work and right after he shakes someones hand after a business appointment. Ryan and I both had flu shots yesterday at his 6 month visit (I feel crappy today :(). Everytime you turn on the news, it is something else about the flu!!!!!

Wash your hands a lot, try to get lots of sleep and eat right !!!!

jennifer13
12-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Yesterday got the flu shot for my 6 month old. Ped said that 6-23 month babies are just as likely as the elderly to be hospitalized from the flu. If DD got the flu I would have never forgiven myself for not vaccinating her (not putting pressure on you! Just sharing my line of thinking). She had no ill-effects and actually slept 12 hours straight last night- a first!!

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03